PDA

View Full Version : Pax Bellum Chaeto Reactor Knock-Off

Myka
11-29-2015, 05:23 PM
So, I have an idea that will probably take me a long time to get it finished, but...

Have you guys heard of the Pax Bellum ARID Filter (http://reefbuilders.com/2015/11/12/pax-bellum-arid-filter-review-intense-grow-chaetomorpha)?

I have a spare quartz UV sleeve laying around that is for an AquaUV 25W sterilizer. I could run a length of LEDs down this sleeve (or maybe some sort of fluorescent tube???) and mount it inside a piece of 6-8" PVC, plumb it like a TLF reactor, and voila!

Thoughts? Suggestions?

gregzz4
11-29-2015, 05:59 PM
I like the sleeve idea.
What about using an existing clear reactor and just wrap it in white paper. Easier to see inside with a flip of some scotch tape.

mike31154
11-29-2015, 06:02 PM
Your link comes up as a multimeter??

Myka
11-29-2015, 06:03 PM
I like the sleeve idea.
What about using an existing clear reactor and just wrap it in white paper. Easier to see inside with a flip of some scotch tape.

Thanks for the idea, and I was tossing around that idea too, but the tank I want to use it on doesn't have a fish room, so I don't want the light leaking to the sump area because I don't want to be cleaning the skimmer of algae all the time. I'm going to try to design it in a way that it's easy to open and take a peek - I'm thinking a SCH80 union, but I don't know if they come in 6 or 8". Going to see what I can figure out. It looks like I can get an 8" to 3" PVC reducer bushing and then a 3" union. These are pricey part though! :eek: Maybe not the best option is the opening is smaller than the reactor diameter.

Your link comes up as a multimeter??

Oops, fixed.

Myka
11-29-2015, 06:16 PM
I'm going to try to design it in a way that it's easy to open and take a peek - I'm thinking a SCH80 union, but I don't know if they come in 6 or 8". Going to see what I can figure out. It looks like I can get an 8" to 3" PVC reducer bushing and then a 3" union. These are pricey part though! :eek: Maybe not the best option is the opening is smaller than the reactor diameter.

Actually, I'm thinking a cap on the end with nylon thumb screws is probably the best option for this large diameter (and a heck of a lot cheap to boot).

Use this for the bottom:
http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mxa9tk7LPYTvnDFDozpSh8w.jpg

Actually, I could use that for the top too, and then cut a 7" hole in the top of the 8" cap which will give me enough space to drill and tap some holes for the nylon finger screws. Then use a third one and cut the flange off so it's just a flat piece of plastic for the actual lid. Then I'll need to drill it to insert the quartz sleeve, and figure out how to mount that along with the rack for the chaeto. I think I'll use LED because I like the low voltage around water. :)

Scythanith
11-30-2015, 01:57 AM
One of the claim to fames they are talking about is a thermal conductive fluid that is encased within the sleeve that helps pull heat from the LED structure and up to the heat sink at the top.

I have spoke with them about the PB Arid and I almost bought one. The only thing that scared me away was the $600 price tag :)

Myka
11-30-2015, 02:28 AM
I'm not sure there'd be enough heat in there to worry too much, but maybe I'm wrong. Or maybe I'm planning too much flow through.

Are they only $600? I thought they were $800 wholesale. Maybe different sizes.

Mine will cost less than $100. Mayne money well spent, maybe not. Wouldn't be the first $100 I wasted. :lol:

xlzerolx
09-06-2016, 02:14 AM
I know this is old, but I'm testing out the idea with a TLF 550 reactor. Right now i have RGB leds taped to the outside. I have some warm white strip LEDs on order from amazon to replace these.

If this works out I am planning on using the 20" RO filter housings for this.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a210/xlzerolx/IMG_20160903_234317_zpsvb9zvlz2.jpg

Myka
09-06-2016, 01:38 PM
Cool! I'm interested to hear how it works for you. I never ended up making the reactor - I just set up a biopellet reactor instead.

Myka
09-06-2016, 02:16 PM
Ha! Just featured on Reef Builders...DIY Chaeto Reactor.

https://reefbuilders.com/2016/08/31/chaetomorpha-reactor/

xlzerolx
09-09-2016, 11:23 PM
Just got the woarm white Leds and attached them to the reactor. Put them on a dimmer so it wasn't too bright for the chaeto. Have it just above the lowest setting so it doesn't bleach the chaeto.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a210/xlzerolx/IMG_20160909_180657_zpscziqiz7x.jpg

Myka
09-10-2016, 04:05 AM
Looks good.

dustinc
10-27-2016, 04:27 AM
Just got the woarm white Leds and attached them to the reactor. Put them on a dimmer so it wasn't too bright for the chaeto. Have it just above the lowest setting so it doesn't bleach the chaeto.

Any updates on how this worked?

xlzerolx
10-27-2016, 04:39 AM
Not very well. Got hair algae growing on the chaeto. Had to keep rinsing out the chaeto and putting it back with every water change. Also trapped quite a bit of detritus in the reactor Gave up and went with biopellets. Way easier to maintain and and having better success with it. Key is to go slooowwww and start with 25% of what the manufacturer recommends

Bblinks
10-27-2016, 07:23 AM
Curious if the chaeto was actually growing or just the hair algae, did it make any difference in your tank?

xlzerolx
10-27-2016, 11:23 AM
Just the hair algae :(. I didn't notice any growth in the chaeto. In fact it was getting losing its colour. I'm not sure if it was because the lights were too bright or if I didn't have enough flow through the reactor. I think it may have been the latter.
I may try this again a bit later on a separate frag tank I am planning on setting up. I didn't want to mess too much with the display tank. I didn't want to tinker with it so I switched over to BPs that I had used with success before.
I am sure this approach could work if done correctly though. Others have had success using the non-pac bellum reactors on other forums that I have read. Heck people have had success growing chaeto in their aquaclear filter (which is why I think it may have been flow).

Bblinks
10-27-2016, 05:50 PM
Just the hair algae :(. I didn't notice any growth in the chaeto. In fact it was getting losing its colour. I'm not sure if it was because the lights were too bright or if I didn't have enough flow through the reactor. I think it may have been the latter.
I may try this again a bit later on a separate frag tank I am planning on setting up. I didn't want to mess too much with the display tank. I didn't want to tinker with it so I switched over to BPs that I had used with success before.
I am sure this approach could work if done correctly though. Others have had success using the non-pac bellum reactors on other forums that I have read. Heck people have had success growing chaeto in their aquaclear filter (which is why I think it may have been flow).

Thanks for the reply. I will give it a try and report back.

mike31154
10-28-2016, 02:19 PM
Other than aesthetics does it really matter if there's hair algae in the reactor? As long as it's confined there & not in your display I'd be inclined to let it be. Probably more efficient at taking up nutrients than chaeto.

mkj
10-28-2016, 07:25 PM

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a210/xlzerolx/IMG_20160909_180657_zpscziqiz7x.jpg

Maybe it's the photo but those look to be very dim lights, wrong colour and way too few. You prob know this but LEDs are single wavelength and warm white is not the best for plant growth. I've seen a few of these and the successful LED ones tend to use red/blue mix "3-1" and at least double the lights and turn them up some. Easier to adjust turning down than up because it's easy to know if too much light is the problem.. If this was T5 not LEDs then warm white may be fine because they span a larger wave than using LEDs.