PDA

View Full Version : Protein Skimmer Recommendation

mellybenoit
11-24-2015, 01:58 AM
I am looking to take advantage of the holiday deals and get a new protein skimmer. Any recommendations would be great! I have a 105 gallon reef tank.

Aquattro
11-24-2015, 02:18 AM
In sump? Budget?

maron6977
11-24-2015, 05:16 PM
Loving my Bubble King . Think it's all in the Red Dragon pump though .

Aquattro
11-24-2015, 05:50 PM
Loving my Bubble King . Think it's all in the Red Dragon pump though .

I love my BK too, it's running a Laguna pump. Actually, Red Dragon pump without the sticker, but I kept the sticker in case I want to glue it on :)

matt_C
11-24-2015, 06:46 PM
I would say if you have a lower budget go with the bubble magus curve 7 skimmer.
If budget isnt an issue then BK 160.

Sidius
11-25-2015, 07:04 PM
I'm also interested in this topic as I'll be doing the same on either Black Friday or Boxing Day... What makes Bubble King better than say a Vertex Alpha or Super Reef Octopus? I've heard good things about both of those options as well

Jakegr
11-25-2015, 07:10 PM
I've owned a Reef Octopus Diablo DC for a few years. I just recently upgraded the pump to their new style DC pumps. It is a fantastic skimmer and the new pumps are very quiet (2 year warranty too).

Aquattro
11-25-2015, 07:22 PM
I'm also interested in this topic as I'll be doing the same on either Black Friday or Boxing Day... What makes Bubble King better than say a Vertex Alpha or Super Reef Octopus? I've heard good things about both of those options as well

Honestly, not much for function. BK skimmers are built really well, so for people that kick their skimmers a lot, it might be the way to go. Warranty stuff for them, last I heard, sucked. A lot.
Vertex Alpha are probably about the same class. SRO, lesser build quality, but I recommend not kicking skimmers anyway.

Ultimately, good pump with good warranty, plastic tube that gathers bubbles. Some have cool features, some are made out of heavier gauge, but most work kinda the same.

Reef Supplies
11-25-2015, 07:33 PM
I assume you want after sale service? Stick to Octopus, Magus or Vertex.

We dropped BK because their after sale service SUCKED. I would not touch BK until they get their North American department up to industry par.

Sidius
11-25-2015, 08:00 PM
Not to hijack the thread from the OP but it seems relevant to the original question... what is the benefit of an adjustable DC pump vs a standard pump on your skimmer?

Aquattro
11-25-2015, 08:06 PM
Not to hijack the thread from the OP but it seems relevant to the original question... what is the benefit of an adjustable DC pump vs a standard pump on your skimmer?

Personally, I have no idea and it's not something I would pay extra for. More to break, IMO.

However, I have read people's reasoning in the past, I just don't recall what it was :)