PDA

View Full Version : opinions please

danny zubot
10-18-2004, 04:48 PM
I want to add 2 more fish to my tank but I want some input first. I have a 54 gallon corner tank with 60 lbs live rock and various sps and soft corals. I have an Ocelaris clown pair and a Manderine for fish and I would like to add 1 tang and 1 dwarf angel.

I have a good idea about the angel I want but I'm wiery about tangs. Advise please. :biggrin:

muck
10-18-2004, 04:50 PM
Do you have plans for a bigger tank when the tang gets to big..??

danny zubot
10-18-2004, 04:53 PM
I will always have plans for a bigger tank, thats a given. :razz:
Is my tank really too small for even 1 tang, even if I can find a small one?

Delphinus
10-18-2004, 05:03 PM
I might get jumped on for saying this, but I would guess no. A scopas tang or a yellow tang might do OK especially if you have "move up" plans for a bigger tank. That said, be wary about the bug because the fish can sometimes outgrow your ability to pay for a larger setup. That seems to be my problem anyhow but maybe it's not as bad for others.

A dwarf angel would also be OK in my view espescially if you have interesting rockwork. I picked up a potter's angel earlier this year from a fellow Canreefer who moved to the U.S. and I have to say I am constantly amazed by this fish by how smart she is. She definitely displays learned associations. If she and the tang "bump elbows" she will swat at the tang with her tail .... exactly how a tang would do it. She doesn't do that to any other fish. She also watches what the others are eating, then tries it herself. Thus, she eats the nori that's put in for the tang. She also scrapes algae off the glass ... exactly the same way the blenny does (if I let the algae film grow on the glass I'll have two sets of "kiss" marks). And of course she knows that the mandarin is the first fish to get fed mysis, so if I press the "feed" button on the wavemaker, she immediately seeks out where-ever the mandarin is sitting, and waits for the leftovers.

danny zubot
10-18-2004, 05:09 PM
I have had very good luck with my old flame angel and come to think of it, it's behavior was similar. I wish I hadn't dropped that rock on it. :cry: perhaps I'll need to wait before getting any tangs. Going to post a wanted add for dwarf angels now.

chrisd
10-19-2004, 06:53 AM
Danny, I have the same tank as you and have a yellow tang as one of my inhabitants. It grew to a pretty good size and now I honestly think it could use a bigger tank but he's the king of the tank and I'd be heartbroken to lose him. Also he's very aggressive to new additions to the tank and has killed a couple. I would definitly go with a smaller breed of fish.

danny zubot
10-19-2004, 02:07 PM
I got a line on a copper band butterfly, so I'll go with that and a coral beauty or flame angle. I'll probly add them at the same time and hopefully all goes well.

thanks guys! :smile: