PDA

View Full Version : Flow for a 6-8' sps peninsula

smokinreefer
11-20-2015, 06:18 PM
Hey everyone,

Looking for some feedback as to whether this would work or not...
I will be setting up a 6-8' long sps dominant peninsula tank.

While needing to meet my tank inhabitants needs I also want to set this tank up as clean and slick as possible.

I was thinking of having the returns on the overflow end of the tank.
And using a couple gyres vertically on each side of the overflow as well.
Would this provide enough flow across the 6-8' span?

Or am I just going to end up with a very turbulent overflow end, and just adequate flow on the far end?

I am wanting a rimless tank, so to show this off, I'm wanting to avoid using a canopy or hood. So that means not being able to run plumbing along the top of the tank to the opposite end, as you see on a lot of peninsula set ups.

What do you all think?

Aquattro
11-20-2015, 06:34 PM
Not sure it will give enough at the other end. Are you running a sandbed? Maybe run plumbing under the sand and have returns come up in the corners.

smokinreefer
11-20-2015, 06:57 PM
That's an awesomely creative solution brad!

I love the look of a sandbed, and the added biodiversity, but was thinking of goin bare bottom. For easier maintenance and being able to keep water quality up easier. And not having to worry about sand storms.

I will keep this in mind as an option though.

Aquattro
11-20-2015, 07:47 PM
Running below tank and coming through the bottom corners could do the same, if it can be hidden in the stand.

Myka
11-20-2015, 11:40 PM
Closed loop? I think Brad's idea will definitely help, but I don't think just the return flow would be enough.

Aquattro
11-21-2015, 01:11 AM
Closed loop? I think Brad's idea will definitely help, but I don't think just the return flow would be enough.

Agreed. I've run a MAG 24 into 2 returns and the flow was dismal.

Roskoreef
11-21-2015, 01:48 AM
Check my build thread, I'm using 4 gyres on one end of my 90" peninsula. I purposely have a "slow" end for lps but they work great.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

smokinreefer
11-21-2015, 04:29 AM
I have been dropping in on your build, but I didn't see the part about 4 gyres!

Well that's a good idea. Maybe I'll reserve the far end of the tank for nems and zoas.

But wow. 4 gyres eh.

shiftline
12-13-2015, 04:44 AM
I'm doing a similar design with a 5.5-6' peninsula with all equipment on the overflow wall. Ibought two mp40s. I'm hoping they will provide enough end to end flow

Myka
12-13-2015, 01:07 PM
I'm doing a similar design with a 5.5-6' peninsula with all equipment on the overflow wall. Ibought two mp40s. I'm hoping they will provide enough end to end flow

Exchange one for a Gyre - they push a lot of water. Just don't buy a gen 1.

FishyFishy!
12-13-2015, 06:38 PM
Pick up a cheap RW-20. This thing throws mad flow full length accross any tank. I couldnt beleive how much water they push for the money.

smokinreefer
12-13-2015, 06:46 PM
Great feedback people!

I guess its unrealistic to want ideal sps flow across a >6' span when the source of flow is all on one side.

I'd imagine to get the flow I'm looking for on the far end, the flow would be too strong on the source end.

At the moment I'm thinking, 2 gyres on my overflow end, and just reserve the last 2' of display for anemones, zoas and rics.

Aquattro
12-13-2015, 06:53 PM
What about a small, well designed end cap that matches the wall end of things. You could run inder the stand and up inside this piece and have pumps at the far end. Sure, reduces it to a two sided tank, but how often are you going to be looking in the far end? Just a thought :)

shiftline
12-13-2015, 08:31 PM
all the time! Haha.

Aquattro
12-13-2015, 09:14 PM
all the time! Haha.

Ya, I guess it's a trade off, but something to consider :)

smokinreefer
12-14-2015, 04:51 AM
all the time! Haha.

Ya, I guess it's a trade off, but something to consider :)

+1
+1

That would be a "clean" way to get flow end to end, but I think I would regret not being able to peer through that side.

Proteus
12-14-2015, 05:43 AM
My tank is a shallow peninsula has rw8's on each end plus a mocean 2000. Flow is pretty good but as it grows in I may need to put a few more on the ends. Only issue I have is tank only has 11.5" of water so bigger powerhead were not a option

On my last tank I used directional bulkheads and was able to get really good laminar flow.