PDA

View Full Version : Tank Size question

gmann
11-20-2015, 05:18 PM
Hey all,

Im in the process of planning for a new tank but seem to have run in to a problem with my potential tank(or maybe no a problem at all). I had assumed that the space I would be placing the tank would be able to accommodate a 6ft tank, but it does not look like it will be very practical if I go ahead and do so. My ideal tank would be Ideal tank would be 72 x 30 x 24, here are some of the options I came up with, if you can think of any other please advise:

1. go 6ft and deal with the inconvenience of reaching behind the tank to adj thermostat and access light switch (why anyone would put these in the middle of the wall I have no clue)

2. Go 48" x 48" - if I go with a bigger cube, would that restrict the types of fish I could get as they won have as much room to swim? I really want a dam tang thing time around.

3. go 60" and maybe make the tank wider, or just leave it at 60 x 30. This might work, but I would have to re-measure everything to ensure I get my furniture in there also.

4. put tank upstairs. downside is i'm afraid if there is leak, i'll have two floors of dmg to deal with vs. one.

Thanks in advance.

rsisvixen
11-20-2015, 05:26 PM
Maybe get someone in to move the thermostat and light switch? ( how people set these switches up is a mystery to me, I have one that doesn't serve any fixture in the room, a mystery light switch )

If moving it upstairs be sure the floor can take the weight.

gmann
11-20-2015, 05:47 PM
Maybe get someone in to move the thermostat and light switch? ( how people set these switches up is a mystery to me, I have one that doesn't serve any fixture in the room, a mystery light switch )

If moving it upstairs be sure the floor can take the weight.

I tried as we are currently renovating. My guy took out the cap and looked at how the wiring was set up. He was like he would have to cut out the dry wall just to re-wire the two switches to the end of the wall.

as for upstairs, yea I'll have to look into that.

thanks rsisvixen

smokinreefer
11-20-2015, 06:12 PM
If you're doing renos already, dry wall repair is a pretty easy task for those guys!
I'd say move the switches and get what you want.

WarDog
11-20-2015, 06:22 PM
Are you renovating the whole house, or just upstairs?

gmann
11-20-2015, 07:01 PM
Are you renovating the whole house, or just upstairs?

just redoing floors, paint etc, nothing major. I'll ask my guy for a quote, hopefully he will do it.

thanks everyone

input80
11-20-2015, 07:14 PM
If you're doing renos already, dry wall repair is a pretty easy task for those guys!
I'd say move the switches and get what you want.

+1 Geoff.

duncangweller
11-20-2015, 07:21 PM
You should be able to take off the two boxes (switch and thermostat) and fish the wires through to relocate them. You don't have to cut up a tonne of dry wall to achieve this. Any half decent electrician should be able to do it.

toytech
11-20-2015, 07:29 PM
I would get the switches moved as well , id also only make the tank 20 tall , at 24 and 30 deep the back of the tank will be imposible to reach . At 24 on my tank I have to get my armpits wet if I drop something in the middle let alone the back.

WarDog
11-20-2015, 07:34 PM
You should be able to take off the two boxes (switch and thermostat) and fish the wires through to relocate them. You don't have to cut up a tonne of dry wall to achieve this. Any half decent electrician should be able to do it.

Exactly, and while you're at it (if your floors are up) run an ethernet cable from the tank area to your router area. Also wouldn't hurt to run a couple dedicated 110V lines to the panel if possible.

rsisvixen
11-20-2015, 08:10 PM
You could also get an electrician, while they are moving stuff, to put in a dedicated outlet for the tank with a GFI and run it straight to your mains on its own circuit.

babnika
11-20-2015, 08:25 PM
just an idea but home depot extra have remote switches:idea:

gmann
11-20-2015, 09:06 PM
Thanks for the great tips everyone. Im writing it all down, and showing it to my guy. hopefully he'll know what I mean cause I am so lost that I probably wont be able to translate I for him lol

e46er
11-21-2015, 03:34 AM
if your doing floors there a good chance your doing the baseboards? cut drywall down low and drill the studs and get a 5 or 6" tall baseboard. no drywall repair and super easy to do.

hillegom
11-21-2015, 04:06 AM
if your doing floors there a good chance your doing the baseboards? cut drywall down low and drill the studs and get a 5 or 6" tall baseboard. no drywall repair and super easy to do.

+1
:biggrin:

Myka
11-21-2015, 03:18 PM
That is brilliant. For all that matters you could just cut the drywall up an inch off the floor and run the lines in that gap. Just don't nail them when you reinstall the baseboards. Lol

Aquattro
11-21-2015, 03:46 PM
Electricians are good. Just point at switches, say they can't be there. Let the pro figure it out :)

e46er
11-21-2015, 03:58 PM
That is brilliant. For all that matters you could just cut the drywall up an inch off the floor and run the lines in that gap. Just don't nail them when you reinstall the baseboards. Lol

thats a cheating way to do it and not a very safe way. I DO NOT reccomend this. you will know its there but future homeowners will not. they change baseboards and start shorting circuits and the thermostat does nothing or goes bonkers.......... drill the center of the studs or if your near the edge put up a stricker plate and atleast its done properly.

e46er
11-21-2015, 03:59 PM
also do not run line voltage and low voltage right parrallel to each other. you will have interference on the thermostat

hillegom
11-21-2015, 06:15 PM
My baseboards are all glued onto the wall
Is that a new thing? or the norm these days?

gmann
11-21-2015, 06:42 PM
Electricians are good. Just point at switches, say they can't be there. Let the pro figure it out :)

i did, he didnt want to do it. had to call in another guy. but problem solved. going with 6 ft tank.

thanks again everyone.

Aquattro
11-21-2015, 06:50 PM
i did, he didnt want to do it. had to call in another guy. but problem solved. going with 6 ft tank.

thanks again everyone.

Glad it worked out :) I just did a kitchen reno, I just pointed a lot. Guy got it done!

Myka
11-21-2015, 07:15 PM
thats a cheating way to do it and not a very safe way. I DO NOT reccomend this. you will know its there but future homeowners will not. they change baseboards and start shorting circuits and the thermostat does nothing or goes bonkers.......... drill the center of the studs or if your near the edge put up a stricker plate and atleast its done properly.

:lol: If they changed the baseboards in the future they'd see the wiring, but I guess you guys are doing thermostats...we did the wiring for our surround sound speakers the way I mentioned. Future owners won't be inheriting our surround sound, so it's a non-issue.

e46er
11-22-2015, 12:14 AM
My baseboards are all glued onto the wall
Is that a new thing? or the norm these days?

Normally they are nailed on and then the visible edge is siliconed.
Chances are it's silicone not glue.

gmann
11-22-2015, 10:35 PM
6 ft tank is a go....

now to wait on the sales :biggrin:

Aquattro
11-22-2015, 11:57 PM
Normally they are nailed on and then the visible edge is siliconed.
Chances are it's silicone not glue.

I've removed lots that were glued on. Not fun :)

e46er
11-23-2015, 02:43 AM
I've removed lots that were glued on. Not fun :)

I've heard that from lots of people. Must be a "homeowner special"
Current normal practice is using a brad nailer.

Aquattro
11-23-2015, 03:18 AM
Ya, place, nail, seal top seam and corners. Some older houses have weird framing though, and hitting wood with the nails is random :)