PDA

View Full Version : From 29G to a 5G; What stays and what goes?

Travillion
11-16-2015, 04:39 PM
Hello all,

My girlfriend and I are likely to move places early 2016, and the apartment we are moving to doesn't allow fish tanks greater then 10G. I currently have a 5G Fluval Spec that I figured could make a decent nano/pico reef tank using the equipment and corals I have in the 29G.

So what I am asking of you all is, "What stays and what goes?". Im not going to bother writing down everything, like my skimmer, heater, etc. because they wouldn't even fit to begin with.

Equipment:
- Maxspect Razor 60W 16K (fully dimmable)
- Tunze nano circulation pump
- Jebao RW-8 wavemaker (I know this is way overpowered for the 5, but could it be placed at the very bottom, hidden within the rock to flush it out at the lowest setting?)
- Reef Octopus media reactor MF-300

Organisms (I figure the fish will have to go, I'll list them anyways):
- 2 juvenile ocellaris clowns (likely up for local grabs)
- 6 line wrasse (he'll be up for local grabs most certainly)
- 30lbs of pukani & fiji live rock mix
- 6 or 7 groups of varying zoas
- green candy cane (3-4")
- green hammer (4-5")
- a few batches of GSP (all under 3")
- green toadstool leather (2")
- bubble tip anemone (definitely up for grabs)

I should mentioned that my current set up is bare bottom, and 5 gallon will remain bare bottom as well. I'm thinking that I either want to cure and chunk apart some of my live rock and then sell the rest, or just start new and sell/trade off all of my rock.
The tunze nano pump is still likely too powerful for a 5, so are there any suggestions on what I should go for in its place? Or maybe I can hide my Tunze within the rock instead of the Jebao, and then sell the Jebao.

That's pretty much it, would love to hear some feedback and suggestions. I am open to buying new equipment (since I'll be selling the current tank: JBJ 29G NanoCube with deluxe LED lid and stand), so please recommend ideal 5G nano equipment as well!

Thanks so much guys, I'm actually pretty excited. I've always wanted a little nano on my desk.

Travillion
11-16-2015, 05:20 PM
Jebao wavemaker is actually an rw-4 not and rw-8! Still overpowered for the five, small difference though.

rishu_pepper
11-16-2015, 09:00 PM
The Spec V in my classroom has just been using the smallest Koralia powerhead and the flow seems to be enough. Granted, I only have a 2" toadstool in there for coral. Anything more, IMO, would be overkill for flow.

Travillion
11-24-2015, 01:15 AM
The Spec V in my classroom has just been using the smallest Koralia powerhead and the flow seems to be enough. Granted, I only have a 2" toadstool in there for coral. Anything more, IMO, would be overkill for flow.

Thanks for the response! I actually have a koralia 240, so that's perfect. My only concern is that the flow from these guys are a constant. Would the jebao rw-4 be too strong even at the lowest setting? This is much more appealing for me to use since there would be wave variation.