PDA

View Full Version : Good thing Im using ULNS

Doug
11-13-2015, 07:25 PM
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/IMG_0456_zpsvvydtsu2.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Flatlander_photos/media/IMG_0456_zpsvvydtsu2.jpg.html)

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/IMG_0457_zpszh3emwmt.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Flatlander_photos/media/IMG_0457_zpszh3emwmt.jpg.html)

I think around 1990 would be the last time I had hair algae. A lot of good my ULNS regime does. Plus I scrub it. Tanks fishes, so just feed the shrimp.

SHEEZ....:twised:

AND, I have a sea hare that just eats hard glass algae like the useless snails.....:lol:

albert_dao
11-13-2015, 07:51 PM
Which system are you using?

Doug
11-13-2015, 07:58 PM
Which system are you using?

Prodibio

Aquattro
11-13-2015, 10:43 PM
Prodibio

shoulda gone zeo :)

toytech
11-13-2015, 11:19 PM
Looks like bryopsis to me , feathery ends , non clumping . Sea hare wont eat that and it will grow anywhere it want under any conditions . Real pain to get rid of.

Ryanerickson
11-13-2015, 11:51 PM
Defenetly the ulns part is not working in my opinion prodibio does not work that great I used it for 6 plus months it made no difference. I was doing the whole system I think 5 different bottles.

Doug
11-14-2015, 12:10 AM
shoulda gone zeo :)

:lol:

Looks like bryopsis to me , feathery ends , non clumping . Sea hare wont eat that and it will grow anywhere it want under any conditions . Real pain to get rid of.

Thats sounds promising, tear down another tank. Im going to get a 5g nano with new rock.

Defenetly the ulns part is not working in my opinion prodibio does not work that great I used it for 6 plus months it made no difference. I was doing the whole system I think 5 different bottles.

Yea does not seem to be working at this time. No idea if it will or not. Im only at 4 treatments on this tank.

dcw1sfu
11-14-2015, 12:43 AM
If it is Bryopsis alot of people have had success getting rid of it through the use of Kent Tech M and elevating there magnesium to the 1700 range and in some cases higher. Do a search there are alot of success stories.

spit.fire
11-14-2015, 01:14 AM
If it is Bryopsis alot of people have had success getting rid of it through the use of Kent Tech M and elevating there magnesium to the 1700 range and in some cases higher. Do a search there are alot of success stories.

i will confirm that it works

GoFish
11-14-2015, 01:49 AM
I've had my Mg at 1800 for 3 weeks and 1650 for 3 weeks before that. $hit still grows like nothing's wrong. There must be more to this Tech M story I need to read about. 2nd time trying... Sorry to hear about your issues Doug, hopefully you figure it out!

Reefer Rob
11-14-2015, 04:23 PM
Some algae can be impossible to get rid of no matter what you do. Your corals may die of starvation before you put a dint in the algae.

I would try to get your hands on some Algafix. It's not available in Canada, but when I had my nasty algae problem I ordered it through amazon.ca

Aquattro
11-14-2015, 04:29 PM
I would try to get your hands on some Algafix. It's not available in Canada, but when I had my nasty algae problem I ordered it through amazon.ca

I read an article on this stuff, sounded like a good product.

Doug
11-14-2015, 04:57 PM

Thanks for all the comments guys. I will raise my magnesium. I assume it does not have to be Kent,s product. Mines from BRS.
Would a product like this Algafix not hurt my sps also ? Im going to RC and see if more info on it.

Other than that is the solution to throw all the rock out? If so I need to do it before my sps starts to encrust off their plugs.

Aquattro
11-14-2015, 05:00 PM
Thanks for all the comments guys. I will raise my magnesium. I assume it does not have to be Kent,s product. Mines from BRS.
Would a product like this Algafix not hurt my sps also ? Im going to RC and see if more info on it.

Other than that is the solution to throw all the rock out? If so I need to do it before my sps starts to encrust off their plugs.

It does have to be the Kent Tech M product.

Doug
11-14-2015, 05:01 PM
It does have to be the Kent Tech M product.

Oh. Weird. Must be something in it then.

Aquattro
11-14-2015, 05:02 PM
Oh. Weird. Must be something in it then.

Apparently, and nobody knows what, as far as I've seen :)

I have used peroxide to spot remove bryopsis, but that would be tough with a full garden.

Reefer Rob
11-14-2015, 05:05 PM
Coralfix didn't hurt the SPS directly. It also killed any phito-plankton in the tank so the water becomes kind of sterile, and skimmate changes quite a bit. I wouldn't use it regularly like the bottle recommends, just until the algae is under control.

Doug
11-14-2015, 05:14 PM
Coralfix didn't hurt the SPS directly. It also killed any phito-plankton in the tank so the water becomes kind of sterile, and skimmate changes quite a bit. I wouldn't use it regularly like the bottle recommends, just until the algae is under control.

Do you mean Algafix or is this another product ?

Doug
11-14-2015, 05:25 PM
Well I just ordered both. Hopefully something works. Anyone know if I can try the Algafix after raising magnesium?

:cry: Finally get all my corals just right and then this. Think Im cursed.

Proteus
11-14-2015, 05:38 PM

I use prodibio with great results but... I took a lot of reading. What I found best is a modified program. Prodibio does not contain a carbon source. The Bioptim is strictly a amino and trace supplement. (the same as zeofood food)
So. I still use the biodigest, substituted the Bioptim for zeofood and added a carbon source of zeo start. This accompanied buy a huge skimmer I have effectively brought no3 and po4 levels to a super low levels.
To the point I have been adding some skimmer (tablespoon) back to tank periodically to raise nutrients.

I am currently battling some valonia but am using peroxide to kill it. I'm not sure if the spores are still able to seed from there on but it is making a huge impact

Doug
11-14-2015, 05:57 PM
I use prodibio with great results but... I took a lot of reading. What I found best is a modified program. Prodibio does not contain a carbon source. The Bioptim is strictly a amino and trace supplement. (the same as zeofood food)
So. I still use the biodigest, substituted the Bioptim for zeofood and added a carbon source of zeo start. This accompanied buy a huge skimmer I have effectively brought no3 and po4 levels to a super low levels.
To the point I have been adding some skimmer (tablespoon) back to tank periodically to raise nutrients.

I am currently battling some valonia but am using peroxide to kill it. I'm not sure if the spores are still able to seed from there on but it is making a huge impact

I thought both those were to reduce nutrients. With the reef booster being the amino, etc. If Your correct then the Bioptom would be feeling the algae.

dcw1sfu
11-14-2015, 05:59 PM
Product called DinoX claims to get rid of bryopsis. However I've never used it and am unsure how safe/effective it is.

Hydrogen peroxide does work for spot removal as stated. I use a salt water / hydrogen peroxide mix to dip zoas if I notice any bryopsis on them.

Doug
11-14-2015, 06:03 PM
Their page says Bioptom is feeding the bacteria from the Biogest.

Bioptom provides the Biogest bacteria with the micronutrients needed to optimally purify saltwater and improve water conditions.

Reefer Rob
11-14-2015, 06:10 PM
It's hard to tell if it's Bryopsis from your photo, it looks like garden variety hair algae to me. I was under the impression it has a fern like structure, like this:

http://www.captivereefs.com/forum/attachments/feature-articles/bryopsis-bryopsis-jpg-4528d1331386039

When I had Bryopsis years ago I found it easy to get rid of by basting with boiling water, but then I didn't have a forest :surprise:

Proteus
11-14-2015, 06:15 PM
I thought both those were to reduce nutrients. With the reef booster being the amino, etc. If Your correct then the Bioptom would be feeling the algae.

Their page says Bioptom is feeding the bacteria from the Biogest.

Bioptom provides the Biogest bacteria with the micronutrients needed to optimally purify saltwater and improve water conditions.

Reef booster is amino plus additives for coral.. Just like zeo coral vitalizer and zeo aa

The Bioptim is directed toward the bacteria. But contains no carbon

This is why I chose zeofood over Bioptim. To me it seems easy to overdose the Bioptim which is used up buy the bacteria but one vial may be to much depending on the tank. At least with zeofood it's buy the drop so you can dose less more often.

I've done strictly prodibio and strictly zeo. Both Imo have pros and cons. But in my experience have found that my tank benefits from a customized program.
It seems that when these product are released they are vague on how each one affect our individual tanks and you need to learn the tank to understand what it needs and when.

GoFish
11-14-2015, 06:19 PM
Bryopsis can grow very sparsely as well, that's quite a forest ^^^ it can start with single strands and all over... Before you try Algaefix Doug I would do some research if you haven't yet, there looks to be quite a few negative reviews after doing a quick search on Google. Some thing's mentioned are ammonia spikes, loss of sensitive fish and negative impacts on some corals, maybe just softies though. If only the stuff didn't release spores when manually removed, other wise the battle would be much easier

Reefer Rob
11-14-2015, 06:31 PM
I can see how a nutrient spike could be an issue, that could be a lot of die off all at once. Before I used Algaefix I had scrubbed as much as I could off the rocks and let it collect in a filter sock. I had plucked and dipped for months and was getting nowhere. BTW, I just had hair algae.

Aquattro
11-14-2015, 06:34 PM
First, borrow a Samsung and get a good pic of that stuff to see what it really is :)

spit.fire
11-14-2015, 07:06 PM
its not bryopsis or hair algae, ive had the same stuff but could never id it...

Doug
11-14-2015, 07:26 PM
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/IMG_0457_zpszh3emwmt.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Flatlander_photos/media/IMG_0457_zpszh3emwmt.jpg.html)

Aquattro
11-14-2015, 07:35 PM
Still can't tell, too blue. And fuzzy. Could certainly be bryopsis tho

Doug
11-14-2015, 07:36 PM
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/DSC01995_zpst23vj36o.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Flatlander_photos/media/DSC01995_zpst23vj36o.jpg.html)

Aquattro
11-14-2015, 07:38 PM
I put it in photoshop, fixed the blue and sharpened it, I'd say with what I can see, not bryopsis.

Aquattro
11-14-2015, 07:39 PM
Second pic, for sure no. In my limited algae experience anyway

Doug
11-14-2015, 07:41 PM
Reef booster is amino plus additives for coral.. Just like zeo coral vitalizer and zeo aa

The Bioptim is directed toward the bacteria. But contains no carbon

This is why I chose zeofood over Bioptim. To me it seems easy to overdose the Bioptim which is used up buy the bacteria but one vial may be to much depending on the tank. At least with zeofood it's buy the drop so you can dose less more often.

I've done strictly prodibio and strictly zeo. Both Imo have pros and cons. But in my experience have found that my tank benefits from a customized program.
It seems that when these product are released they are vague on how each one affect our individual tanks and you need to learn the tank to understand what it needs and when.

So I should add zeostart or vodka as a carbon source ? Good thing I have a years worth of Prodibio..NOT

Doug
11-14-2015, 07:42 PM
Second pic, for sure no. In my limited algae experience anyway

Thanks Brad. Agreed it does not look like the picture of bryoptis posted

Proteus
11-14-2015, 11:32 PM
So I should add zeostart or vodka as a carbon source ? Good thing I have a years worth of Prodibio..NOT

Depends on your time slotted to tank. Carbon dosing is a daily requirement. Also I would refrain from gfo with any bacteria driven system

Doug
11-15-2015, 05:22 PM
Depends on your time slotted to tank. Carbon dosing is a daily requirement. Also I would refrain from gfo with any bacteria driven system

I can dose daily no problem. Never knew that about gfo. I assume that includes PhozDown? Can I still use Bioptom?

Thanks

Proteus
11-15-2015, 05:54 PM
I can dose daily no problem. Never knew that about gfo. I assume that includes PhozDown? Can I still use Bioptom?

Thanks

Yes you can use biotin biodigest and a carbon source. Just make sure you read up on the dosing procedure as not to shock. Tank.

Gfo and or phoz down will both upset the red field ratio. Making it hard for bacteria to effectively lower nutrients

Doug
11-15-2015, 07:18 PM
Yes you can use biotin biodigest and a carbon source. Just make sure you read up on the dosing procedure as not to shock. Tank.

Gfo and or phoz down will both upset the red field ratio. Making it hard for bacteria to effectively lower nutrients

Thanks

Myka
11-16-2015, 12:29 AM
Often you need a little gfo or other phosphate reducer every once in awhile to keep the ratio. Phosphate tends to build up in our tanks. What you don't want to do is brong phosphate to zero with a reducer. If there is no phosphate then the carbon dosing won't work (won't lower nitrate. ..it needs both).

Doug
11-16-2015, 05:07 PM
Often you need a little gfo or other phosphate reducer every once in awhile to keep the ratio. Phosphate tends to build up in our tanks. What you don't want to do is brong phosphate to zero with a reducer. If there is no phosphate then the carbon dosing won't work (won't lower nitrate. ..it needs both).

Thanks Mindy. I have never bothered much with a phosphate measure, as Im always running gfo anyways. Guess I will have to if I go with the carbon dosing. II find my Salifert test kit not the easiest to read however.

Doug
11-16-2015, 05:14 PM

Found this on Prodibio.

"BioPtim
This is your carbon source as found in many other ULN systems. The difference is again you only dose every two weeks. BioPtim contains a multitude of essentials additives for feeding the bacterial colony in your system and in doing so lowering your nitrates and PO4 levels."

Hmmm. Im still going to start with the Zeo carbon source product however. In addition to my Prodibio.

Proteus
11-16-2015, 05:20 PM
Found this on Prodibio.

"BioPtim
This is your carbon source as found in many other ULN systems. The difference is again you only dose every two weeks. BioPtim contains a multitude of essentials additives for feeding the bacterial colony in your system and in doing so lowering your nitrates and PO4 levels."

Hmmm. Im still going to start with the Zeo carbon source product however. In addition to my Prodibio.

Maybe but I have trouble with adding a unknown about of "carbon source" to the system. Any other carbon driven tank is a daily requirement

Doug
11-16-2015, 06:11 PM
Maybe but I have trouble with adding a unknown about of "carbon source" to the system. Any other carbon driven tank is a daily requirement

Thanks for the comments. Im ordering the Zeo and see how that does.

reefmandan
11-16-2015, 11:48 PM
I don't believe that is bryopsis. For those that are combatting it, the Tech M does work. It took me two attempts before I was successful. It didn't kill it, but it stopped it from returning when I weeded it, so I feel that it worked!

Just FYI, the guy that made the Tech M "proprietary" blend also made the Brightwell stuff, and so both are alleged to work. There is some ingredient in them that isn't found in bulk products, and so generally, the bulk stuff doesn't work well in dealing with bryopsis.

Myka
11-17-2015, 01:20 AM
I like the Prodibio BioDigest and BiOptim but I find they are only useful to get from LNS to ULNS. They aren't as powerful as daily-dosed carbon products.

Also, you'll need a different phosphate kit for ULNS. Hanna ULR HI736 is good but you need to know a few tricks to get accurate readings. I've heard good things about the Red Sea Pro Phosphate too and apparently it doesn't require any tricks, but haven't used it myself yet. Soon though...

Doug
11-18-2015, 12:48 AM
A few questions if I could. My sps are doing so well Im scared of harming them fighting the algae. But it does need to go. Seems almost impossible to scrub, even using a stainless steel brush.

I have Kent mag coming but if not bryopsis, thats out.

Also have AlgaFix coming but those products scare the pants of me. May be what I have to use though.

What if I buy the Zeo product and fight it that way, going ULNS?

Any thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks

Aquattro
11-18-2015, 01:44 AM
I haven't heard of either of those products harming SPS.

Doug
11-19-2015, 12:05 AM
I haven't heard of either of those products harming SPS.

Ya thats the impression I got from the threads on RC. But then I can screw anything up.....:lol:

Myka
11-19-2015, 01:03 AM
What do you have for CUC Doug? Often all it takes if some beefing up and the algae will be gone, not always a need to mess with parameters.

Doug
11-19-2015, 04:32 PM
What do you have for CUC Doug? Often all it takes if some beefing up and the algae will be gone, not always a need to mess with parameters.

Sorry Mindy. Not sure what CUC is?

GoFish
11-19-2015, 05:27 PM
Clean up crew...snails, hermits etc

Doug
11-19-2015, 05:41 PM
Clean up crew...snails, hermits etc

Oh. DOH ! :lol:

I have lots of trochus snails, several red leg hermits & blues. The algae is to long for the snails. I have a few emeralds who love to eat the algae but they can't keep up to that much. I also have a sea hare that likes glass hard algae instead of what its suppose to be eating.

No fish, as Im in my 2nd month fishless from the velvet disaster. I have 6 shrimp which I feed daily plus the feed keeps the biological alive.

It something would eat it besides the emeralds I would add a bunch of them but don't think thats going to happen.

Doug
11-19-2015, 05:58 PM
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/DSC01997_zps69qtv4w4.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Flatlander_photos/media/DSC01997_zps69qtv4w4.jpg.html)

Here,s an example. As seen in the pic, its starting to affect my corals. :sad: For whatever reason the coral is not focused correct but algae is, so you get the idea.

Myka
11-19-2015, 06:09 PM
I have lots of trochus snails, several red leg hermits & blues. The algae is to long for the snails. I have a few emeralds who love to eat the algae but they can't keep up to that much. I also have a sea hare that likes glass hard algae instead of what its suppose to be eating.

Gimme some numbers Doug! :p

I'd be suggesting something that looks like this (this is your 50-gallon right??):

15 Scarlet Hermits
5 Trochus
5 Turbo
3 Spiny Astraea
3 Pyramid Astraea
6 Ring Cowrie
6 Nerite
6 Tongan Nassarius
1 Fighting Conch

The key is variety. :) Don't buy the small-type Nassarius or Cerith snails with hermits in the tank - they are just too easy pickings for hermits. My Scarlet Hermits have never touched any of the above suggested snails. I have all of those in my tanks for years. You will probably have to remove 20% of the above numbers once they've trimmed out all the algae.

Doug
11-19-2015, 06:14 PM
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii86/Flatlander_photos/IMG_0467_zpsirgkgosb.jpg (http://s262.photobucket.com/user/Flatlander_photos/media/IMG_0467_zpsirgkgosb.jpg.html)

Doug
11-19-2015, 06:15 PM
Gimme some numbers Doug! :p

I'd be suggesting something that looks like this (this is your 50-gallon right??):

15 Scarlet Hermits
5 Trochus
5 Turbo
3 Spiny Astraea
3 Pyramid Astraea
6 Ring Cowrie
6 Nerite
6 Tongan Nassarius
1 Fighting Conch

The key is variety. :) Don't buy the small-type Nassarius or Cerith snails with hermits in the tank - they are just too easy pickings for hermits. My Scarlet Hermits have never touched any of the above suggested snails. I have all of those in my tanks for years. You will probably have to remove 20% of the above numbers once they've trimmed out all the algae.

I have to skip the last two as its bare bottom.

Myka
11-19-2015, 06:50 PM
I have to skip the last two as its bare bottom.

Uh yeah, skip the sand dwellers. :) I'd add CUC and wait a few weeks to see if that makes the difference or not. It doesn't cost much, and it's easy. :D

Doug
11-19-2015, 10:19 PM
Not the easiest to buy unless one of my friends is going by JL.

So I have a CUC order at CC waiting for the rest to come in next week.

Mindy, have you ever used the red leg crabs, similar to the blues, instead of scarlets?

Myka
11-20-2015, 12:22 AM
Not the easiest to buy unless one of my friends is going by JL.

So I have a CUC order at CC waiting for the rest to come in next week.

Mindy, have you ever used the red leg crabs, similar to the blues, instead of scarlets?

Oh yeah, I forgot you live in Kamloops. Yeah, the red legs are just as murderous as the blue legs. Scarlets are the only ones I keep - they are worth the extra few bucks.

Doug
11-20-2015, 05:31 PM
Another thing about this algae is that it will not come out. I scrub with a stainless steel wire toothbrush. We removed a large one covered with it and replaced it, which is now covered in algae anyways.
My friend had it in a tub in the dark for a month and the algae actually grew. He took a large wire brush to it and removed nothing.

ALGAE FROM HELL :twised:

This past year must be making up for the 35 good years I had before..:lol:

kamloops_reefer
11-22-2015, 05:08 AM
I think I have the same stuff - probably the crappy water via our over rated kamloops water treatment plant :)

Doug
11-22-2015, 07:06 PM
I think I have the same stuff - probably the crappy water via our over rated kamloops water treatment plant :)

I just changed my ro filters after a long period and they were not even dirty a bit. I thought we had good water here,esp compared to the crap we had in Brandon.

kamloops_reefer
11-26-2015, 04:11 AM
Everyone here seems to think its great water - probably because the city tells us so. stains toilets and tastes horrible.

of course I'm used to abbotsford water, voted best on earth every couple years

Doug
11-26-2015, 04:31 PM
I was just commenting on TDS. May have other problems though. Anyways I solved mine. I have a guy coming for my tank & algae infested rock for his fish only.
I bought Mikes 35g RSM and the good rock. Its a good home for my sps corals and small fishies. :D

Myka
11-26-2015, 05:23 PM
You just can't make up your mind which tank to use. :lol:

kamloops_reefer
11-26-2015, 06:22 PM
wish you had a solution - I know the back of my tank and sump is becoming horrible - recently lost much of my SPS except a couple strong ones (monti)

Doug
11-26-2015, 07:06 PM
You just can't make up your mind which tank to use. :lol:

Im happy with my current tank but the algae is horrible. Guess its crap rock now. So instead of replacing the rock in there, just going to the RSM and its good rock.
Mind you, I will likely transfer some of the algae over on my frag plugs and be fighting it anyways..:lol:

Myka
11-26-2015, 07:23 PM
Im happy with my current tank but the algae is horrible. Guess its crap rock now. So instead of replacing the rock in there, just going to the RSM and its good rock.
Mind you, I will likely transfer some of the algae over on my frag plugs and be fighting it anyways..:lol:

How long has the algae been in there? Hasn't this tank only been setup for a couple months? If that's the case, I think it's a pretty rash decision.

Doug
11-28-2015, 12:15 AM
How long has the algae been in there? Hasn't this tank only been setup for a couple months? If that's the case, I think it's a pretty rash decision.

The rock has been live for about a year now and was good until this algae from hell. Anywayswe have the RSM running, thanks to my friend, and its clean beautiful coralline rock.