PDA

View Full Version : Overdrive T5's

Chin_Lee
10-18-2004, 12:47 AM
I just read an article by Sandy Cohen in the Oct FAMA magazine who talks about overdriving T5's with an Icecap 660. Just wondering if anybody has tried or thinking about doing the same with a workhorse 7? I would really like to see the lumens comparison with HID......

StirCrazy
10-18-2004, 01:06 PM
I just read an article by Sandy Cohen in the Oct FAMA magazine who talks about overdriving T5's with an Icecap 660. Just wondering if anybody has tried or thinking about doing the same with a workhorse 7? I would really like to see the lumens comparison with HID......

I am wondering how they are over driving a HO bulb with a HO ballast myself :confused:

Steve

AndyL
10-18-2004, 01:12 PM
Same way you overdrive NO flourescents using a NO ballast...

Either hook up a ballast meant for a longer bulb (ie use a 4' ballast on a 2' bulb), or use a double ballast all connected to a single bulb.

Tho maybe I should shut up, since I have yet to even see a T5 locally :)

Andy

Old Guy
10-18-2004, 02:51 PM
I would like to try T5's on my ice cap. Where would I go to get 48" bulbs and end fittings?

StirCrazy
10-18-2004, 10:51 PM
Same way you overdrive NO flourescents using a NO ballast...

Either hook up a ballast meant for a longer bulb (ie use a 4' ballast on a 2' bulb), or use a double ballast all connected to a single bulb.

Tho maybe I should shut up, since I have yet to even see a T5 locally :)

Andy

but a ballast is a current supply and not geared to a specifice lenght of tube. yes they have a max lenght of tube that they will be able to supply but if you have a ballast that can hold up to a 8 foot tube and you put a 2 foot tube on it it will not over drive it.

yes you could overdrive a T5 with a WH7 by hooking it up to VHO voltage but I am skeptical about doing it with an Icecap. having said that an icecap is an electronic ballast and if they are comparing it to a T5 ballast that is magnetic then you will get a 5 to 10% increase in light because of the higher frequency it is being run at. the other option is that they are running non HO T5 bulbs on a Icecap, in which case it will be overdriven.. so untill I see the article I cannot say much more.

Steve

DEAD_BY_DAWN
10-18-2004, 11:31 PM
Where would I go to get 48" bulbs and end fittings? ryan at thr denman pet gallery is able to to in a nice seletion of bulbs on fixtures for t5s worth a call atleast..

JohnM99
10-20-2004, 01:00 PM
I have been doing this with my 4x36" bulbs - very bright - bulb life is not as long as advertised - early breakage, or bulb failure - but that has also happened with my 2x24s on a normal ballast.