PDA

View Full Version : Newbie help? Planning my reef !

hitechi
11-09-2015, 06:16 PM
Hello everyone!

I'm really excited to get started and thank you for all the shared information that is posted in this community! I know there's a lot of work ahead of me and I was wondering if I could get any/all advice on some questions I still have.

First off, it sounds like one of the first things I Should be considering is to start curing live/dry rock. I was wondering if anyone could share their online experiences or if it's better to buy at a lfs in Vancouver? Also any thoughts on the type of rock I should consider?

Next up, I'm debating on the Innovative Marine 40 gallon tank (@king ed's for $499) or a marineland 60 gallon reef ready cube (@JL aquatics for $400 + $150 for sump tank). I like the simplistic set up of the IM40g (not to mention the glass!) but the space in the 60 gallon just looks soo much more. Still don't know which one to go with... help?!

The plan was to keep it simple because it's my first reef tank. I was going to go with your typical clowns to start. I think for the most part size wise, there aren't many fish that would be suitable in a 60g over a 40g right? Although at JL, they had a yellow tang in their 60g which I read was a no-no, heh. Anyways, I was going to do anemones and polyps/mushrooms only. I know I'd probably want to do more once the tank is more established so I probably would like to add LPS...

For lighting, what would my options be? LED lights are awesome but they seem a little expensive. Could I get away with the Aqua Illumination Prime or do I need to fork out and get something a bit more powerful like an Ecotech Radian XR15? Or is it best to go with those new Hydra LED's?

I can't wait to get started on building my aquarium.
Thanks! :wink:

WarDog
11-09-2015, 07:31 PM
Welcome to Canreef.

I would check our buy and sell for liverock. Plenty of good, used, affordable stuff around town, and it will already be cured. This will help reducing your cycle time.

I've got a 65 gal and I'll tell you I wish I went bigger. Get the largest tank available for your space and budget. You'll be glad you did in a years time when the addiction will really take hold. With a larger tank comes the opportunity to add larger fish like Tangs, which will help a lot eating algae (everybody gets algae) .

Lighting is a personal choice. If I could do it again I would do an 8 bulb T5, but that's just my preference. I'd recommend watching BRS's 52 weeks of Reefing on YouTube. They just started getting into lighting options. An amazing series I would highly recommend to any newbie.

...and just because I'm feeling a bit mischievous, I'm going to say that Kessils are probably the best LED's on the market! :lol:

Keep us posted, and I'm looking forward to your build thread.

rishu_pepper
11-09-2015, 08:00 PM
Hey Hitechi, I went through a lot of the same questions last year when I first got into the hobby. I can tell you a bunch of things that helped me and perhaps what to avoid.

Rocks, I agree with Warren to go with live for sure. LFS rock is pretty expensive. Not to advertise or anything but I have a whole 5g bucket of live rock that needs a new home if you are interested. :wink: Buying live will drastically reduce your cycle time, and probably reduce chance of nuisance algae if proper steps are taken.

For tank size, bigger is better. I will put it as, get as big as you can get for your home/decor. Larger water volume will make it easier to handle water parameters and also allow you to keep more fish in numbers and variety.

Which relates to the fish question, with a 60g cube, the length is extremely limited (your usual guideline for what size of fish to keep).

For corals, what you want to keep you can probably get away with a small light like Prime/XR15/Hydra but coverage will be sketchy at best. If there's an anemone, a more powerful light is warranted. You can probably pick up a used Radion for a decent price. I've used a Kessil before and they are quite nice also.

When you get your tank ready, let me know if you need anything like frags or whatever. PM me if you're interested in the rocks.

xenon
11-09-2015, 08:52 PM
If the OP can find pre-cured live rock for a good price, I would agree that its the quickest method to get a tank up and running.

I personally don't like the idea of used live rock due to not knowing the history of the rock. It's hard enough to start in this hobby without having to inherit other peoples mistakes.

I had a customer purchase used LR on kijiji and turns out the previous owner must have used the LR in quarantine and used copper.

WarDog
11-09-2015, 09:09 PM
If the OP can find pre-cured live rock for a good price, I would agree that its the quickest method to get a tank up and running.

I personally don't like the idea of used live rock due to not knowing the history of the rock. It's hard enough to start in this hobby without having to inherit other peoples mistakes.

I had a customer purchase used LR on kijiji and turns out the previous owner must have used the LR in quarantine and used copper.

Agreed. It's good to have reliable sources and know a few people. Hitechi, we do a social meet every several weeks here in the GVRD. You should come out to the next one and make a few contacts.

George
11-09-2015, 09:09 PM
Hello everyone!

I'm really excited to get started and thank you for all the shared information that is posted in this community! I know there's a lot of work ahead of me and I was wondering if I could get any/all advice on some questions I still have.

First off, it sounds like one of the first things I Should be considering is to start curing live/dry rock. I was wondering if anyone could share their online experiences or if it's better to buy at a lfs in Vancouver? Also any thoughts on the type of rock I should consider?

Rock is a very debatable choice in this hobby. Some like fresh live rock, some like dry rock. Some like used rock (dead or live).
Whatever you get, cure them yourself. Don't trust anyone but yourself.
Different types of rock require slightly different methods of curing. It's probably better to open another thread to talk about this topic.

Next up, I'm debating on the Innovative Marine 40 gallon tank (@king ed's for $499) or a marineland 60 gallon reef ready cube (@JL aquatics for $400 + $150 for sump tank). I like the simplistic set up of the IM40g (not to mention the glass!) but the space in the 60 gallon just looks soo much more. Still don't know which one to go with... help?!
The bigger the better within your space and budget. Remember with a bigger tank you will need a bigger of everything, bigger skimmer, bigger light, bigger pumps, etc. Also contact concept aquariums on this board. They build quality tanks with reasonable price.

The plan was to keep it simple because it's my first reef tank. I was going to go with your typical clowns to start. I think for the most part size wise, there aren't many fish that would be suitable in a 60g over a 40g right? Although at JL, they had a yellow tang in their 60g which I read was a no-no, heh. Anyways, I was going to do anemones and polyps/mushrooms only. I know I'd probably want to do more once the tank is more established so I probably would like to add LPS...
I used to believe some certain fish (tangs in mind) need a certain space to be happy. But debating the same subject with an ex-member of this board made me think...does it really make a different for a fish that used to live in the ocean and now lives in a 4' tank, 6' tank or 10' tank?

For lighting, what would my options be? LED lights are awesome but they seem a little expensive. Could I get away with the Aqua Illumination Prime or do I need to fork out and get something a bit more powerful like an Ecotech Radian XR15? Or is it best to go with those new Hydra LED's?

I can't wait to get started on building my aquarium.
Thanks! :wink:
I will leave the LED thing to others here. I am still using metal halides and don't plan to switch any time soon. LOL.

hitechi
11-09-2015, 09:41 PM
Agreed. It's good to have reliable sources and know a few people. Hitechi, we do a social meet every several weeks here in the GVRD. You should come out to the next one and make a few contacts.

Oooh! That's awesome - I hope I can make the next meet.
I'm think I'm leaning towards the 60 cube (24x24x24). I don't think I'm allowed to go up to the 36 inch/75 gallon tank. =;c(

I had no idea there was a buy/sell on these forums... this might spell trouble for my wallet!

WarDog
11-09-2015, 09:54 PM
I had no idea there was a buy/sell on these forums... this might spell trouble for my wallet!

You've only made 2 posts, so you might not be able to see them yet. Just make a few 'looks nice' comments and you should be in, lol.

hitechi
11-09-2015, 09:59 PM
Found Concept Aquariums!
If I went with them, any suggestions on the overflow design?

WarDog
11-09-2015, 11:54 PM
Semi coast to coast, external, drilled for a Herbie, or Bean Animal. That's my vote.

e46er
11-10-2015, 03:51 AM
Semi coast to coast, external, drilled for a Herbie, or Bean Animal. That's my vote.

Having none of these. I'd still agree these are the 'best' options and will be my next tanks choice.

Saltymac
11-13-2015, 02:55 AM
Always handy to get a second job when getting into reefkeeping helps the wallet.....lol:lol::lol: good luck with your build

hitechi
11-13-2015, 04:31 PM
Always handy to get a second job when getting into reefkeeping helps the wallet.....lol:lol::lol: good luck with your build

Good point... I have a second job... maybe I need to squeeze in a third... =;c)

Clean Up Crew suggestions? I'm still in the planning phases lol.