PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Questions

michael151722
11-09-2015, 01:12 PM
Hello guys i am new to the hobby and have done around 4 months of research but still have some questions regarding this hobby hopefully it can be answered

1) Did anyone in Canada ever needed to use a Chiller don't really wanna get one since its so expensive, i live in Toronto btw
2) I have a hood on my tank how should i put my fans and power heads inside and can still properly cover the tank
3) Has anyone try ecoliverock.org, how was the rock and did it take longer 4-6 weeks than usual to cycle because it is man-made?
4) i have a 55 gallon FOWLR how many powerheads do i need?

Thanks

Myka
11-09-2015, 02:08 PM
Hello guys i am new to the hobby and have done around 4 months of research but still have some questions regarding this hobby hopefully it can be answered

Welcome!

1) Did anyone in Canada ever needed to use a Chiller don't really wanna get one since its so expensive, i live in Toronto btw

Yes, some people need to use chillers in the summer. The main factor is whether your home has central A/C or not, and which type of lighting you're looking to use. You posted this in the FOWLR section, so I'm assuming you won't have corals, so you won't need high output lighting, plus you can turn the lights off if it gets too hot, so you probably won't need a chiller.

2) I have a hood on my tank how should i put my fans and power heads inside and can still properly cover the tank

Usually you cut a notch out and run the lines through the notch. A jigsaw or hacksaw should do the trick if it's plastic.

3) Has anyone try ecoliverock.org, how was the rock and did it take longer 4-6 weeks than usual to cycle because it is man-made?

I haven't used this rock. I'm not a fan of dry rock at all, so I probably wouldn't be a fan of this rock either. It takes a long time (~a year-ish) for dry rock to function as live rock as far as establishing anaerobic bacteria inside the rock which help with denitrification which is the off-gassing of nitrate (in the form of nitrogen). The short, simple of it is that you can easily get an unusual nitrate build up in tanks started with dry rock and it can be difficult to get a handle on it. For this reason, I prefer real live rock or at the very least as much live rock as possible (say 50/50).

Thanks

First, keep in mind that a marine aquarium needs MUCH more flow than a freshwater aquarium, so don't be too surprised once you plug them in and you see how powerful they are. You will probably need two that are in the 1000-1200 gph range each or one that is around 2000 gph. What is your budget?

Tunzes are very good quality pumps and would be my choice - the non-controllable ones are reasonably priced. The Tunze 6015 is about 1200 gph and are about $55 each, or a 6065 is about 1700 gph and is $150.

If you're looking for something cheaper the Hydor Koralia pumps have been reasonably good (for cheap pumps) for me. They don't go up to 2000 gph though. The Koralia 1500 gph is about $75 and the 1150 is about $65. Interestingly, the Tunze 6015 is cheaper than the Koralia 1150, and the Tunze is a way better pump.

You could buy one Tunze 6015 and one Koralia 1500. :)

Another thing, a 55-gallon tank is VERY small for a FOWLR, what type of fish are yo planning to add? 55-gallons will be limiting for fish that are usually kept in FOWLR tanks (ones not compatible with corals).

Some people like Jebao pumps. If you buy Jebao, buy a spare (they break down lots lol). They are cheap enough to buy a spare though. :lol:

michael151722
11-09-2015, 02:54 PM

Welcome!

Yes, some people need to use chillers in the summer. The main factor is whether your home has central A/C or not, and which type of lighting you're looking to use. You posted this in the FOWLR section, so I'm assuming you won't have corals, so you won't need high output lighting, plus you can turn the lights off if it gets too hot, so you probably won't need a chiller.

Usually you cut a notch out and run the lines through the notch. A jigsaw or hacksaw should do the trick if it's plastic.

I haven't used this rock. I'm not a fan of dry rock at all, so I probably wouldn't be a fan of this rock either. It takes a long time (~a year-ish) for dry rock to function as live rock as far as establishing anaerobic bacteria inside the rock which help with denitrification which is the off-gassing of nitrate (in the form of nitrogen). The short, simple of it is that you can easily get an unusual nitrate build up in tanks started with dry rock and it can be difficult to get a handle on it. For this reason, I prefer real live rock or at the very least as much live rock as possible (say 50/50).

Thanks

First, keep in mind that a marine aquarium needs MUCH more flow than a freshwater aquarium, so don't be too surprised once you plug them in and you see how powerful they are. You will probably need two that are in the 1000-1200 gph range each or one that is around 2000 gph. What is your budget?

Tunzes are very good quality pumps and would be my choice - the non-controllable ones are reasonably priced. The Tunze 6015 is about 1200 gph and are about $55 each, or a 6065 is about 1700 gph and is $150.

If you're looking for something cheaper the Hydor Koralia pumps have been reasonably good (for cheap pumps) for me. They don't go up to 2000 gph though. The Koralia 1500 gph is about $75 and the 1150 is about $65. Interestingly, the Tunze 6015 is cheaper than the Koralia 1150, and the Tunze is a way better pump.

You could buy one Tunze 6015 and one Koralia 1500. :)

Another thing, a 55-gallon tank is VERY small for a FOWLR, what type of fish are yo planning to add? 55-gallons will be limiting for fish that are usually kept in FOWLR tanks (ones not compatible with corals).

Some people like Jebao pumps. If you buy Jebao, buy a spare (they break down lots lol). They are cheap enough to buy a spare though. :lol:

Hey thanks for the reply man really appreciate it, i am looking at a 90 actually with mainly hardy fishes like blennies, clowns, wrasse etc and maybe a yellow tang. And also yes i have central A/C is right next to the tank. My main question is i can fit fans and powerheads if i have a hood right and still close it properly.

Thanks

michael151722
11-09-2015, 02:56 PM
also i am looking at lights that come with the tank, regarding the ecoliverock it says that it has been in SW for several years and the pics of it are full of coraline algae would this help cycle it faster, i have seen people use it before but can't find the thread,

WarDog
11-09-2015, 03:00 PM
Hey thanks for the reply man.
Thanks

Lol... Myka is a girl!

Welcome to Canreef.

xenon
11-09-2015, 03:23 PM
also i am looking at lights that come with the tank, regarding the ecoliverock it says that it has been in SW for several years and the pics of it are full of coraline algae would this help cycle it faster, i have seen people use it before but can't find the thread,

The only reason, you would need to cycle live rock is if organic material on the rock is dying off and causing ammonia.

I prefer using dry rock, seeding it with bacteria, feeding the bacteria with ammonia. Its much cleaner an faster and no pests get introduced. :)

Since you are new, I HIGHLY recommend watching these videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKEXNIhomGs&list=PLBaMLrfToJyybUT18OE3fMomFb9XU0ffC

Week 13 episode is will answer all your questions about biological filtration.

Myka
11-09-2015, 03:37 PM
Hey thanks for the reply man really appreciate it, i am looking at a 90 actually with mainly hardy fishes like blennies, clowns, wrasse etc and maybe a yellow tang. And also yes i have central A/C is right next to the tank. My main question is i can fit fans and powerheads if i have a hood right and still close it properly.

also i am looking at lights that come with the tank, regarding the ecoliverock it says that it has been in SW for several years and the pics of it are full of coraline algae would this help cycle it faster, i have seen people use it before but can't find the thread

Like I said, you may need to trim some cut outs for the cords, but they will fit. Are they T8 or T5 lights?

Ah, I forgot the eco stuff was live rock. It should do the trick. It's probably denser than real live rock, but certainly leaps and bounds better than starting with dry rock imo.

mike31154
11-09-2015, 05:08 PM
One of the pump options not mentioned yet, gasp, are EcoTech VorTech. Very pricey compared to many offerings, but quality gear and your electrical cords stay outside the tank, will not interfere with any hood. Good, broad flow pattern and plenty of it. Also low voltage so inherently safer around water, particularly the salty, highly conductive kind.

michael151722
11-09-2015, 05:14 PM
Thanks everyone for the answers this was really helpful, and sorry Myka lol i thought u were a guy. Also do any of you guys have a ATO system and does it fit under the hood?

Thanks

Myka
11-09-2015, 05:46 PM
ATO systems are usually run in sumps where the light doesn't hit them. If you use it directly in the tank you run the risk of algae and crud gumming up and causing grief.

michael151722
11-09-2015, 10:23 PM
Problem is I am a student on a budget and I don't have a sump so how should I put my ATO in if I have a hood on my tank or is it possible to put it in with the hood

Thanks

Aquattro
11-09-2015, 10:28 PM
Problem is I am a student on a budget and I don't have a sump so how should I put my ATO in if I have a hood on my tank or is it possible to put it in with the hood

Thanks

I'd be more concerned with where you're going to put the protein skimmer and heaters and filter socks and media reactors and stuff :) I'd get a sump!

michael151722
11-09-2015, 11:44 PM
I'd be more concerned with where you're going to put the protein skimmer and heaters and filter socks and media reactors and stuff :) I'd get a sump!

I would probably upgrade later but as of now i have a place to put the things i need just don't know how to put in my ATO

Michael

mike31154
11-10-2015, 03:56 AM
I've been running sumpless for years, since day one. Someday...... perhaps..... I'll also have a sump, basement is the plan. In the meantime, my ATO is fairly simple with a minimum of electrics, lots of clutter around the tank though without sump, the industrial look is where it's at! 7 gallon glass winemaking carboy on a stand next to the display. An air pump on a timer pressurizes the carboy via tubing through rubber stopper. Rigid tube to bottom of carboy (also through stopper) feeds fresh water through a mechanical furnace humidifier float valve into the tank.

Some dated photos to illustrate, I shortened the mechanical float valve by one or two chambers to reduce the footprint in the display. This has worked for me with minimum hassles for many years. Relatively fail safe since the top off is a mere trickle & there's just sufficient air pressure in the carboy to keep the water moving on demand. If you keep the top off container smaller, there's even less chance of a flood. The 7 gallons keeps my 77 gallon tank topped off for 7 days.... lucky 7!

There's also a gravity feed variation of this scenario. If you can mount the top off container above the display, all you need is the mechanical valve & some tubing.

Carboy containing DI water & tubing. Sometimes I mix Kalk or Alk into the top off water.
https://tsl4pa.bl3301.livefilestore.com/y3p2nHMGsVifefy4qPZuE54Zq_OCEuyAb8HJ71KKqHVbdsAmwe bsZQQJN5SnbJPpnnYvwKKHK_XXw4hmokRIq4xjCSCIjTmI9aug h5Z5laN4qKrcvrvFX2OLRnUazWx2qiM/Carboy.JPG?psid=1

Mechanical float valve. Not sure how you can work your hood around this, but I don't really see that you have another option other than drilling your tank.
https://tsl4pa.blu.livefilestore.com/y3p7u31lWeQ8KnhypqDWOyQOhc62boNuRllA7se0jMwNgmupOi H1ok0f9qtkCIU2L6KjKJC1hJDnVQnYnumNViH16CinbJme9Bz9-z8Tx0B2B8QYzLZVSNN4wnRKnA43c9x/FloatValve.JPG?psid=1

michael151722
11-11-2015, 08:43 PM
I've been running sumpless for years, since day one. Someday...... perhaps..... I'll also have a sump, basement is the plan. In the meantime, my ATO is fairly simple with a minimum of electrics, lots of clutter around the tank though without sump, the industrial look is where it's at! 7 gallon glass winemaking carboy on a stand next to the display. An air pump on a timer pressurizes the carboy via tubing through rubber stopper. Rigid tube to bottom of carboy (also through stopper) feeds fresh water through a mechanical furnace humidifier float valve into the tank.

Some dated photos to illustrate, I shortened the mechanical float valve by one or two chambers to reduce the footprint in the display. This has worked for me with minimum hassles for many years. Relatively fail safe since the top off is a mere trickle & there's just sufficient air pressure in the carboy to keep the water moving on demand. If you keep the top off container smaller, there's even less chance of a flood. The 7 gallons keeps my 77 gallon tank topped off for 7 days.... lucky 7!

There's also a gravity feed variation of this scenario. If you can mount the top off container above the display, all you need is the mechanical valve & some tubing.

Carboy containing DI water & tubing. Sometimes I mix Kalk or Alk into the top off water.
https://tsl4pa.bl3301.livefilestore.com/y3p2nHMGsVifefy4qPZuE54Zq_OCEuyAb8HJ71KKqHVbdsAmwe bsZQQJN5SnbJPpnnYvwKKHK_XXw4hmokRIq4xjCSCIjTmI9aug h5Z5laN4qKrcvrvFX2OLRnUazWx2qiM/Carboy.JPG?psid=1

Mechanical float valve. Not sure how you can work your hood around this, but I don't really see that you have another option other than drilling your tank.
https://tsl4pa.blu.livefilestore.com/y3p7u31lWeQ8KnhypqDWOyQOhc62boNuRllA7se0jMwNgmupOi H1ok0f9qtkCIU2L6KjKJC1hJDnVQnYnumNViH16CinbJme9Bz9-z8Tx0B2B8QYzLZVSNN4wnRKnA43c9x/FloatValve.JPG?psid=1

thanks this was really useful

michael151722
11-11-2015, 08:45 PM
Hello i have another question for all of you, i am planning on getting a HOB Skimmer (octopus) and wonder how often do you guys clean the collection cup as later on i will be gone for two weeks vacation and there is no one home i am worry the cup will overflow, is it ok if i do not empty it for two weeks?

Thanks

Aquattro
11-11-2015, 08:53 PM
Hello i have another question for all of you, i am planning on getting a HOB Skimmer (octopus) and wonder how often do you guys clean the collection cup as later on i will be gone for two weeks vacation and there is no one home i am worry the cup will overflow, is it ok if i do not empty it for two weeks?

Thanks

Every tank will be different, and different at certain times. 2 weeks might be ok, or 2 days.

michael151722
11-12-2015, 12:23 AM
any other opinions on wht i can do with my skimmer if i am on vacation? Would the cup be able to hold two weeks worth of stuff?

Aquattro
11-12-2015, 12:25 AM
Options are chance it, turn skimmer off, or figure out how to drain potential overflow into something else. Like I said, it could go 2 weeks or 2 days. If something happened to die, probably closer to 2 days. If it's a new tank with nothing in it, maybe 2 months. It depends.

Myka
11-12-2015, 01:07 AM
Or get friends/family to check on the tank or a professional aquarium company.

Madreefer
11-12-2015, 02:21 AM
any other opinions on wht i can do with my skimmer if i am on vacation? Would the cup be able to hold two weeks worth of stuff?

Well it seems there is a little fad going on with some who are pouring the crap from their skimmer back in the tank?????????

If you get frends or family to check on your tank be warned that there is alot of posts from those who have come home to their tanks being a real $hitshow. Hire a company

Coasting
11-12-2015, 02:44 PM
Some skimmers have a little port in the bottom of the cup you can attach tubing to so its drains into another bucket or something. Perhaps you can alter yours to be like that? My vertex 150 has it.

mike31154
11-12-2015, 03:21 PM
Yes, drain adapter for the cup routed to a bucket. I have a 2 liter pop bottle inside an IO salt bucket to collect skimmate. The plastic bottle cap has one hole drilled into it to accept the vinyl tube & a few smaller ones to vent any pressure that could build up. The bucket is my secondary fail safe, I've had a few occasions where the skimmer overflowed & the pop bottle was insufficient to hold the fluid, bucket saved my butt. But I also agree with others that leaving a tank totally unattended for weeks is inviting disaster.

Another old industrial look photo featuring my wooden air diffuser driven skimmer. Situated on a little stand attached to the display stand. Don't recall whether it had the drain adapter already or if I added it. The skimmer came with the tank. Here's a photo of it labeled as to various functions including drain.
https://tsl4pa.blu.livefilestore.com/y3pH_cgaOaeGMInFukVgO-RkZfOsPabX5RRq32qmVC_yW5fv5Um6LDCS2-uUtyywlzLNj8KTaWhU_bUoG8Y7oDSHA0qVFuTEZCXsSUExqrbB 6eplTLN2B_jpWMZUiTdfP_U/P1010815d.jpg?psid=1

michael151722
11-12-2015, 05:32 PM
hello everyone, thanks for all the reply i am not leaving the tank entirely unattended for three weeks, i will have a friend to check on it. The thing is i just want to know if i can turn the skimmer off for the two weeks or maybe put it to run on a timer for like 10 hours a day

Thanks

michael151722
11-12-2015, 05:34 PM
Yes, drain adapter for the cup routed to a bucket. I have a 2 liter pop bottle inside an IO salt bucket to collect skimmate. The plastic bottle cap has one hole drilled into it to accept the vinyl tube & a few smaller ones to vent any pressure that could build up. The bucket is my secondary fail safe, I've had a few occasions where the skimmer overflowed & the pop bottle was insufficient to hold the fluid, bucket saved my butt. But I also agree with others that leaving a tank totally unattended for weeks is inviting disaster.

Another old industrial look photo featuring my wooden air diffuser driven skimmer. Situated on a little stand attached to the display stand. Don't recall whether it had the drain adapter already or if I added it. The skimmer came with the tank. Here's a photo of it labeled as to various functions including drain.
https://tsl4pa.blu.livefilestore.com/y3pH_cgaOaeGMInFukVgO-RkZfOsPabX5RRq32qmVC_yW5fv5Um6LDCS2-uUtyywlzLNj8KTaWhU_bUoG8Y7oDSHA0qVFuTEZCXsSUExqrbB 6eplTLN2B_jpWMZUiTdfP_U/P1010815d.jpg?psid=1

hello this is really useful, do you guys know if they have it on HOB Reef Octopus Skimmer 100

Coasting
11-12-2015, 07:51 PM
From the sounds of the questions you're asking, this tank isn't even ready to be set up yet... When is this vacation? You still have to set the tank up and let it cycle properly, no point in using a skimmer when its cycling. Just wait before you start adding livestock if you're going on vacation anyway.

michael151722
11-12-2015, 11:21 PM
From the sounds of the questions you're asking, this tank isn't even ready to be set up yet... When is this vacation? You still have to set the tank up and let it cycle properly, no point in using a skimmer when its cycling. Just wait before you start adding livestock if you're going on vacation anyway.

my vacation is next year August and i am gonna cycle the tank in december once i finish with exams, i am trying to plan everything out so everything will go more smoothly