PDA

View Full Version : New tank / new fish adding compatibility question

monza
10-17-2004, 03:40 PM
I had a plan of adding a couple of new fish to my new tank which will be 250 g.

The fish in my existing established tank that will be moving in are:
Purple Tang
Powder Blue Tang
Regal Tang
Tomato Clown

I have tried in the past to add a small fish or two to the old system at seperate times 2 Firefish-Purple, Banggai Cardinalfish. That did not go very well I had to get them out rather quickly before they got ripped apart. That was a couple of years ago. I did learn from my lesson and new it would be pretty much impossible to add new tank mates.

My theory was since I was upgrading to a bigger tank I could add a few fish before I add the older fish to the system. After reading a post in a other compatibitity thread I have to question that plan.

I have in a quarantine tank right now a Ruby Head Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhirus cyanopleura) and a Flame Hawkfish (Neocirrhitus armatus) The plan is to transfer coral, rock and water to the new tank add the new fish then add the old fish in a short time frame. I also have the Firefish that has been living in my sump/ref. that I was hoping to add.

Is this going to work? Are the tangs and clown going to turn them into fish food. The tank will contain lots of rock and lots of hidding places.

Thanks
Dave

Buccaneer
10-17-2004, 06:44 PM
The adding of new fish to a larger system will be fine IMO ... just moving rockwork around worked for me in the past ... I think it will work out fine.

StirCrazy
10-17-2004, 07:10 PM
The fish in my existing established tank that will be moving in are:
Purple Tang
Powder Blue Tang
Regal Tang
Tomato Clown

Thanks
Dave

I personaly feel there is one to many tangs for even a 250 gal, and if they were mine the purple would go to a new home. as for adding the smaller fish, give them lots of places to hide and put them in first for a few days to find there hiding spots. then add the more aggressive ones.

Steve

Buccaneer
10-17-2004, 09:24 PM
I think that the 3 Tangs are fine especially if they get along already right now.

monza
10-17-2004, 11:59 PM
I knew the Tang police would say something, I agree it may be pushing it a bit. They have all been together for some time now and grew up together since being very small, they have zero aggression issues. The Tomato Clown is the king of the tank anyways.

Tanks for the replies.
Dave

trilinearmipmap
10-18-2004, 12:18 AM
Personally the fish on my wish list is doliatus Rabbitfish, Siganus doliatus:

http://species.fishindex.com/species_6197siganus_doliatus.html

I understand they have venomous spikes to ward off aggressive Tangs who might want to attack them, also they eat algae like crazy, also they are quite beautiful. I suggest you consider this fish.

monza
10-18-2004, 01:42 AM
Thanks Tril. I'll do some reasearch on it, looks cool for sure.

Skimmerking
10-18-2004, 02:56 AM
Well that is what i love about this site that there are no stupid things like tang police.
In my 280 i had a
Achilles
Sailfin
hippo
scopas in there with 2 coral beauties, a yellow wwrasse and a six line wrasse
a bangi cardinal
dotty back.

and they all got along IMO and IME

not trying to start anything here either. just my opinion.

mike

but yo better havea kick butt skimmer on there for the tangs.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
10-18-2004, 02:58 AM
What has usually worked for me is placing any fish about to be introduced in an isolation chamber for 3-5 days before releasing. I built mine out of white flourescent lighting grating material from HomeDepot and it measures 8" wide x 8" long x 12" deep. You cut the rectangular and square pieces out, line them up & zap strap them together. I suspend it in my tank (100g plexi mostly fish with some soft corals). The new fish gets acclimatized to the community tank with good flow, but it is protected from attacks by your established fish. Gives them a fighting chance since the other fish will be more likely to lose interest and accept them with only minor squabbles when you do release them into the general population.

Just my two cents worth. This idea was introduced to me by some other marine fanatics.

Canadian Man
10-18-2004, 03:11 AM
I think you will be fine as well.

Regarding the tangs, In my 230, I now have

-Scopas tang (3 years old)
-Chevron tang (Don't know how old)
-Naso tang (1 year old)
-Clown tang(1 month old)

All tangs are best friends......For now anyway :biggrin:

Buccaneer
10-18-2004, 05:54 AM
I have a Naso Tang, Yellow Tang, Atlantic Blue Tang & Foxface ( Rabbitfish ) and they get along great :cool: ... these fish form the hierarchy in the tank with the Atlantic Blue being the dominant fish and the Foxface being the most timid but they all get along and there are never any squabbles ( the Blue just gets to swim anywhere he damn well wants hehehe :eek: :razz: )

But if the Tang police get to you and you are feeling particularly guilty and such just let me know and I will find a home for the Regal or the Powder Blue :razz: :mrgreen: :lol:

Quinn
10-18-2004, 05:56 AM
Atlantic blue. :cool:

Buccaneer
10-18-2004, 06:00 AM
Atlantic blue. :cool:

Yea Quinn ... He is absolutely stunning ... I cant wait to get started building the new tank for him and the others ... he has quickly become a family favourite :lol:

Quinn
10-18-2004, 08:42 AM
Can't wait to see him/her after everything's been moved. Must love the swimming space, if you do the monster tank I wonder if it will grow to its full potential size.