PDA

View Full Version : Reversing RTN......myth or reality?

SanguinesDream
11-08-2015, 12:12 AM
So, after being gone for a couple of days with my tank lights off, I came back and started my regular photoperiod without thinking. What a dummy!!!! :frusty:

About 6 hours in, horror struck as I watched my favourite acro losing tissue. I clocked it and in 1/2 hr it lost @3mm of tissue from all the areas that were peeling. Damn.

Much to my chagrin, I quickly cut up the acro in order to save the areas that weren't affected. For poops and giggles, I returned the peeling base into the tank to see what would happen........I would have never believed it if I didn't see it.......tissue and polyps are growing back like crazy. It was a week ago and nearly all of the peeled tissue has grown back and the cuts that were made to frag the good pieces are growing polyps on the surface. :eek:

Can that actually happen?!? I've scoured the webz and cannot find any documented evidence of RTN regrowth. Not that I am complaining but have I stumbled upon a wellspring? Has anyone else reversed RTN?

Myka
11-08-2015, 03:15 AM
It can certainly grow back, but the speed which you describe is awfully odd.

SanguinesDream
11-09-2015, 01:47 AM
I'm an awfully odd person, so it would go to follow.

I've been taking pictures to document the regrowth but I never took pictures of the fresh cuts and the RTN because I was freaking panicking.

My only theory, which is VERY far fetched is that the cutting of the frags above the peeling tissue, shocked the colony into save mode which stopped the RTN in its tracks. :drinking:

If this colony comes back, I will post pictures to show the Lazarus like recovery.

Myka
11-09-2015, 01:52 AM
I'm an awfully odd person, so it would go to follow.

Haha! Most fish people are!