PDA

View Full Version : Lighting Questions

DiscusZ
10-17-2004, 03:42 AM
I currently have 2 PC light 1 has 2 x 55 watt blubs, and the other has 2 x 65 both at 50/50 blubs

This winter I want to make a canopy for my tank I have a workhorse 7 ballast sitting here that i want to use for 2 VHO 110 watt bulbs, (1 Actinc and 1 10k Daylighr. Eventaually I want to add 2 MH to this mix as well

What should I do? I can not afford to do this all at once, so I need to do this a little at a time starting with the VHO as I have a ballast already. I may gut one or both of PC systems to put into the new canopy as well. not sure yet.

Where is a good place to get Reflectors that will do PC/VHO/MH? I have a Hagen 77g tank (48'" long)

mr_alberta
10-17-2004, 04:36 AM
If you look on JL's website, they sell a PFO parallel reflector that is designed to hold MH and PC/VHO bulbs.

DiscusZ
10-17-2004, 05:11 AM
Ya I saw those there but not bigger than 36" I would have to get 2 x 24" reflectors to cover the whole tank...

Bob I
10-17-2004, 03:51 PM
You might want to take a look at the new T5 setups. The reflector and ballast are part of the unit. They are not horribly expensive. I am using two of them on a 15 gallon tank(48W) instead of the 2X65W PC fixture. It seems to be just as bright. However I have a Lux meter, so I should take a measurement. :biggrin:

Actually one hour later I took a measurement. The 24W T5 measured 30000 LUX at one inch. The 65W PC tube was the same. The PC tube has more hours on it. The cost of the replacement PC tube and the entire disposable T5 is about the same.
It looks like $ for $ you would be far ahead with the disposable T5's. :biggrin: