PDA

View Full Version : Fragging euphyllia under water?

Coasting
11-02-2015, 04:21 PM
Okay I have a vast number of euphyllia that I got mad at and just attached them to the rock work. But I still want to frag them.
What is the best way to frag these corals under water?
I got sick of having to pull them out, then try and re-stick the mother colony to the rock, having it not stick, then fall on something else, then its dead by the time I figure out where it fell...
I used to pull the bits out and cut with a dremel. Obviously those don't work under water....

Anyway...
I was thinking something like a gigli saw/wire could work, but it would be awkward.
Most side cutters work great for sps under water, but their just not physically big enough to go through the euphyllia with out crushing it.
And the large handles make it awkward, some of mine are pretty close to each other.

What do you use?

Slyguy00
11-02-2015, 05:14 PM
Imo fragging any euphillia underwater is asking for trouble. Pulling it out and getting a clean cut is how i would do it. Might be a hassel to pull out but it will be even more of one trying to do it in tank. Just my opinion

spit.fire
11-02-2015, 05:17 PM
I use normal frag ginger pliers, dragging them underwater has a better survival rate even if you shatter them

Ryanerickson
11-02-2015, 07:33 PM
I use normal frag ginger pliers, dragging them underwater has a better survival rate even if you shatter them

Wtf Tyler ginger pliers ? hammer to the base works well

Slyguy00
11-02-2015, 08:57 PM
Wtf Tyler ginger pliers ? hammer to the base works well

:lol:

spit.fire
11-02-2015, 09:15 PM
Autocorrect on my phone sucks

Coasting
11-02-2015, 10:39 PM
So for us non tool wielding females... What is the non-autocorrect version of ginger pliers?

spit.fire
11-02-2015, 10:54 PM
Fragging pliers....

http://www.jlaquatics.com/dry-goods/aquarium-supplies/fragging-supplies-tools/rio-hd-coral-clippers.html

Coasting
11-02-2015, 11:05 PM
Oh hey they look like dog nail clippers.... lol

Just don't think the front is wide enough to go around the stock of some of my euphyllia.... some of mine are thin, others are about toonie wide.