PDA

View Full Version : Tracking a plate number

Aquattro
10-16-2004, 06:55 PM
Thought I'd ask here, since my local police "don't have time". Does anyone here have the ability to get me an address for a license plate number? Some nut rammed my van while my wife was driving and took off. The plate isn't registered to the same color car so the cops won't drive by to confirm. PM or email me if you can get me this info, thanks.

Invigor
10-17-2004, 03:38 AM
:eek: stolen plates!

Aquattro
10-17-2004, 03:54 AM
:eek: stolen plates!

No, I'm thinking nice summer car, switches plates to winter beater. If I can drive by the address and confirm the car is there, then the police will pursue it. But they don't have time to check themselves. :rolleyes:

I'll add that this guy intentionally ran into the van, it wasn't an accident.

Quinn
10-17-2004, 04:05 AM
Can CAA (or whatever the BC branch is called, the equivalent to our AMA) do it?

StirCrazy
10-17-2004, 04:23 AM
I'll add that this guy intentionally ran into the van, it wasn't an accident.

:eek: kinda of a bold statement.. why do you feel that it was intentinal?

Steve

trilinearmipmap
10-17-2004, 04:24 AM
Actually I think it is not legal for someone to release this information, although I believe anyone who works at ICBC or for a police force would have access to this information.

Call the police again, if you talk to a different person he might be willing to give the name and address, they did for me once in the past after a minor hit-and-run type incident.

Aquattro
10-17-2004, 04:42 AM
Steve, I make that statement because the driver turned and rammed the van after driving 2 mph in front of Alana smashing his brakes on and off. When she tried to get away, he chased her and rammed the vehicle. Then he took off thru some side roads as she tried to get the plate #.

Aquattro
10-17-2004, 04:45 AM
Actually I think it is not legal for someone to release this information,

Not sure there is a law against it, although it's very likely against some rule. However, assault with a vehicle is certainly against the law, and I'm a bit ticked off that my LPF won't go look for the car.
If someone can get me this info, it would certainly be appreciated.

Majestic_Aquariums
10-17-2004, 04:54 AM
Hope you find the guy-what a ?#@$ There's too many guys like that-I would have to suggest like Quinn-Maybe the motor assoc. can do a public search for a plate like they can for a buisness name? Best of luck though!

Quinn
10-17-2004, 05:07 AM
Jeez Brad. Would a lawyer have any connections? Or as suggested, would trying another officer/department help? Maybe talk to the RCMP if you were speaking to the Victoria PD originally?

Aquattro
10-17-2004, 05:26 AM
Quinn, the objective here at minimum is to have his insurance cover the repairs, not mine. I don't want to incur costs trying to find the guy, I thought the taxes I paid to the city covered that. I dealt with the Saanich police, not Victoria. Previous dealings with them were productive, so I was a bit surprised at their response this time.

Aquattro
10-17-2004, 05:38 AM
And just my luck. You can search for addresses by plate number everywhere except BC. :rolleyes:

http://www.abika.com/Reports/LicensePlates.htm