PDA

View Full Version : Noisy Drain Line

darb
10-28-2015, 07:41 PM
I have an Aqueon RR with the Aqueon overflow kit that is making a lot of noise which seems to be as a result of air and water mixing.

It is running a Mag 7, so pumping about 400 gph and the noise seems to be as a result of the air and water entering the drain line below the bottom of the standpipe in the cabinet.

The setup was previously plumbed with flex PVC in the same manner and going from memory, it seemed to be less noisy; although it is in a room with hard floors and no carpeting now.

Any suggestions for noise reduction?

My only though it to use pipe insulation which is treating the symptom and not the cause.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=917&pictureid=7036

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=917&pictureid=7037

WarDog
10-28-2015, 09:33 PM
Switch over to the Herbie system with your return over the back. Dead quiet, and you'll be happy you switched.

Ron99
10-28-2015, 10:46 PM
Single drains are tough to keep quiet. I had to McGyver a pseudoHerbie years ago on a tank I had. +1 on Wardog's suggestion.

darb
10-29-2015, 12:13 AM
My 90 RR isn't making as much noise as the 65.

Will switching to a Herbie really fix it?

It really seems like the noise is coming from the air/water mixing, not at the top inlet.

davej
10-29-2015, 12:16 AM
What does the top end of your drain look like?
Could you post a picture?
You might be able to do a durso overflow to cut down on noise.
Hard to tell without more info.
A herbie is great if you have the space, but if your tank is up and running and against a wall to boot, not the simplest way to go.

spit.fire
10-29-2015, 04:56 AM
My 90 RR isn't making as much noise as the 65.

Will switching to a Herbie really fix it?

It really seems like the noise is coming from the air/water mixing, not at the top inlet.

with a herbie there wont be any air, no more bubbles in your sump, no more noise, no more salt creep

only catch is you'll want to be running an ato

darb
10-29-2015, 05:22 AM
I don't have any pictures of the actual setup atm; it is no longer my tank but a friends. Below is the type of overflow that I am referring to.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=917&pictureid=7038

I will snap a photo of my 90 tomorrow as a better example, it is configured exactly the same way.

Yes, the tank is up and running and against the wall and with no chance of an ato in the foreseeable future.

Really not looking to change to a Herbie.

I was hoping that someone might have a few suggestions to deal with the situation as it is. Like I said, it is noisier than the same setup on my 90 RR and I swear that it wasn't that noisy before. Although it got replumbed and I was running flex PVC which may have just been insulating the noise better.

d33ps3a
10-29-2015, 03:31 PM
I'm using this. Maggiemuffler.com it is pretty quiet. My Skimmer is louder than the drain.

http://maggiemuffler.com/images/easy.jpg

makana
10-30-2015, 03:24 AM
I had the same aqueon overflow, it sounded like boiling water under the stand. I converted it to a herbie and it is silent. It wound up being so quiet I had to replace the return pump because then it seemed too loud.

monocus
10-30-2015, 03:45 PM
use a stockman standpipe with a breather valve

iamfrontosa
10-31-2015, 05:48 AM
Instead of using the 90deg elbow, maybe the 45deg one might make things quieter.

Ron99
10-31-2015, 11:25 PM
Instead of using the 90deg elbow, maybe the 45deg one might make things quieter.

i suspect the noise is more form air being sucked down the one drain line along with the water. not sure changing the elbow would help much. you need a way to balance the flow in the drain.

darb
11-01-2015, 04:54 PM
It seems to be from the air that gets drawn into the line at the bottom of the standpipe.

The 90 is glued in; going to try pipe insulation.

Galizio
12-24-2015, 10:01 PM
It seems to be from the air that gets drawn into the line at the bottom of the standpipe.

The 90 is glued in; going to try pipe insulation.

How that worked for you, I'm having the same issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craigdillman
12-25-2015, 08:42 AM
After reading this I really need to dial in my bean animal drain again kinda got used to the noise after I changed my return pump forgot it used to be so quiet

darb
12-27-2015, 04:53 PM
I was just over in Victoria and the line wasn't insulated yet.

It will undoubtedly help with the noise. As I said before I am running the same configuration on another tank, except with scheduled 40 and flex PVC pipe and it is not eably quieter.

Galizio
12-28-2015, 12:15 AM
So how you switch from the megaflow to an herbie style on an existing running aquarium?
Is going to be a bit challenging

maron6977
12-28-2015, 03:53 AM
Not really , just drain overflow. Swap return for gated drain . Return will run over the back .

input80
12-28-2015, 06:23 AM
Not really , just drain overflow. Swap return for gated drain . Return will run over the back .

+1

Galizio
12-28-2015, 02:34 PM

Yes, going to do that, just need to figure it out what I need for material, cause previous owner of the tank used silicone and barb fitting.