PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Glass?

Nemain
10-15-2004, 05:39 PM
I have a glass top for my 92 that I dont use. Is it possible to get it cut to fit my 42? If so, where?

Thanks,

Beth

AndyL
10-15-2004, 06:07 PM
Any of the glass shops should do it (crystal etc), most are pretty reasonable - I've had glass trimmed for free, worst case they charge 2-5$ per cut to cut and clean the edges.

If you feel the urge to DIY - a glass cutter from home hardware is 5.99, but there's no guarantees you wont accidentaly break it.

Andy

Cap'n
10-15-2004, 10:18 PM
If you feel the urge to DIY - a glass cutter from home hardware is 5.99, but there's no guarantees you wont accidentaly break it.

Andy

It's easy. Get a straight-edge, cut a groove, snap the glass. Especially if it's as thin as a hood piece. Should take about 2 minutes.

BMW Rider
10-16-2004, 02:20 AM
It's easy. Get a straight-edge, cut a groove, snap the glass.

Or if your like me, get a straight edge, score the glass, break the glass into usless jagged shards, slice finger open on ussless jagged shard, bandage finger, go to glass shop and buy ready cut glass. :rolleyes: I can build with wood metal or plastic, but my skills end at glass cutting. But hey don't let my experiences stop you from trying it. Lots of people are capable of cutting glass, just not me.

Delphinus
10-16-2004, 03:20 AM
Ed, I'm starting to wonder if some glass just don't cut. What you describe is pretty much what happens every time I cut some of the glass scraps that I've got. But then out of pieces I've got from other people, they cut not too bad. So maybe it's a question of thickness, or slightly different composition, or just age, but I'm now convinced that it's the glass and not just me.

mr_alberta
10-16-2004, 03:37 AM
Hey Beth,

You could talk to Des about cutting the hood for you. He is quite skilled at that.

BMW Rider
10-16-2004, 02:01 PM
It's my understanding that new glass will break along a score line better than old glass. I think this is due to the minute scratches and surface etching on old glass. This makes it harder to get the break to follow the line and not the scratches. I have had little success with either old or new glass, but once in a while I get lucky so I keep trying.