PDA

View Full Version : costs of setting up a pond?

smokinreefer
10-19-2015, 09:30 PM
hey,

I've always wanted a koi pond, and i'm entertaining the idea of getting one set up.

first off, cost will be a factor.

For those of you with ponds, what would you estimate was your set up cost and for what size pond? if you wish, you may PM the info.

i'd want a pond probably 15-10'L x 6-10'W x 6'D
I read 6' deep in GVRD is ideal for koi in our climate.

any tips?
local forums?
any contacts?

thanks!

MitchM
10-19-2015, 11:21 PM
A few things -

As far as forums go, depending on what type of pond you want, for a koi pond with mostly mechanical filtration, have a look at www.koiphen.com
For a garden pond (mostly wetland filter type plant filtration), have a look at www.gardenpondforum.com

6 feet deep seems overkill for your climate. It can be difficult to provide good circulation at that depth, servicing a pond that deep requires draining the pond somewhat, and that deep of a pond will add to liner costs. (I'm assuming you're thinking of a liner pond, not a concrete one)

45 mil EDPM liner plus underlay will probably run about $1/sq. ft.

Laguna pumps are a great choice for a submersible. They are energy efficient.
If you decide to use an external pump, they are easier to service, but can get expensive depending on your setup.

A lot depends on what you want for a pond.

Muller
10-20-2015, 02:26 AM
Agreed that 6' is over kill for your area. Mine is only 3' deep and we get down to -20 only for 1-2 weeks though. I have not had a casualty yet due to freezing. I use a de-icing ring when it starts freezing over just to keep an open hole in the ice for gas exchange. I also use a Laguna pump with the submersible filter and am very happy with both.
PUMP
http://www.lagunaponds.com/en_us/laguna-powerjet-2400-fountain-waterfall-pump-kit/
FILTER
http://www.lagunaponds.com/en_us/laguna-powerflo-max-biological-underwater-filter-pt505/

Live plants greatly help with filtering the water and adding some food for the koi. I have never had to suck out the bottom or do a water change on my pond with my setup. The only losses I have had is from raccoons which I have dealt with.
Good luck and enjoy your pond.

smokinreefer
10-21-2015, 12:01 AM
Thanks for the info.

I'll do some browsing on those forums.

I'm guessing liner vs concrete basically comes down to concrete being more more durable, but at a cost.