PDA

View Full Version : Question about sand.

RichKlit
10-15-2015, 06:12 PM
Hello first time posting here but been lurking for awhile, great site! Im thinking about getting into the hobby and would like a small biocube type reef tank. There is a 12 gallon available with live rock, some corals, crabs, and snails etc. My question is once i pick it up and move it i would have to drain the water etc would i be ok to add sand as currently the tank has none and i really want a sand bed. Will it have negative effects or am i all clear?

The Guy
10-15-2015, 06:59 PM
I would use live sand to minimize the cycle.

Aquattro
10-15-2015, 08:12 PM
If it has mature live rock, move it quick, keep the rock wet, add new water and it's fine. Add sand if you like, rinse it well. The "live" sand in bags is probably wasting money, and the rock will handle the "live" substrate requirements fine.

Slyguy00
10-15-2015, 10:35 PM
You will probably get a small cycle but nothing i would be worried about.

RichKlit
10-15-2015, 10:50 PM
Thanks everyone!

Myka
10-15-2015, 11:41 PM
Grab a SeaChem Ammonia Alert badge and put it in the tank for the first week. If it changes color add some Prime. :) The biggest threat when moving a tank would be an ammonia spike.

gregzz4
10-16-2015, 01:46 AM
I agree, save your money and buy dry sand. Rinse the ever-living crap out of it and keep your powerheads off for a short while until the suspended particles settle. The new sand will cloud your water but it will clear in a day or so.