PDA

View Full Version : DIY Reflector

Gujustud
10-14-2004, 05:15 AM
Okay, not something I did, but I found a good link. I was searchin' around on the net for a home made reflector, and came across this link below. PLEASE keep in mind, this is not sites that I frequent at ALL, it was a google search I swear!

http://www.overgrow.com/edge/showthread/t-266469.html

Bryan
10-16-2004, 07:24 AM
What lovely tomato plants!!!

Invigor
10-16-2004, 02:31 PM
I like white paint as a reflector.

StirCrazy
10-16-2004, 03:30 PM
I like white paint as a reflector.

white paint isn't much of a reflector but it is one heck of a diffuser.

Steve

AndyL
10-16-2004, 04:26 PM
White paint is one of the better reflectors actually.

Stolen from http://www.thekrib.com/Lights/reflectors.html#8

These figures are from an old hydroponics source. Unfortunately I
know longer have the URL. These figures, represent the percentange
of light reflected.

Mylar 90-95
Flat white paint 85-93
Semi-gloss white 75-80
Flat yellow 70-80
Aluminum foil 70-75

Andy

StirCrazy
10-16-2004, 08:17 PM
White paint is one of the better reflectors actually.

Stolen from http://www.thekrib.com/Lights/reflectors.html#8

These figures are from an old hydroponics source. Unfortunately I
know longer have the URL. These figures, represent the percentange
of light reflected.

Mylar 90-95
Flat white paint 85-93
Semi-gloss white 75-80
Flat yellow 70-80
Aluminum foil 70-75

Andy

andy you are talking about paints, a plastic film that will melt with MH and kitchen supplies. compare them to my home made reflectors that have a reflectance of 98.9%. there were actualy some real tests done that included paint and such as well as professional made reflectors. paint was one of the worst I will try dig up that article also for you but here is another that shows paint is not as good as any of the popular designed reflectors and a quote

"The total light incident on the three different areas 3’ X 3’ ft, 2’ X 2’ and 1’ X 1’ at 6” from the lamp using a flat sheet reflector with white paint is shown in the table 4 below. As can be clearly seen from the data, having any of the above mentioned reflectors is better than just having a painted hood."

the article is
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/mar2003/feature.htm
now this is just showing comercial one but I will try find the link to the other one that tests all kinds of stuff.

Steve

Gujustud
10-16-2004, 09:48 PM
... compare them to my home made reflectors that have a reflectance of 98.9%. ...

Would you happen to have any pictures, or howto on how you made yours?

StirCrazy
10-16-2004, 11:55 PM
... compare them to my home made reflectors that have a reflectance of 98.9%. ...

Would you happen to have any pictures, or howto on how you made yours?

yup, lots of pictures if you want to search. but here is a link to my out dated DIY page, if the thumb nails don't show up click on the picture name.... got to redo this page hehe.

http://members.shaw.ca/s.l.s/diy/lights/index.html

Steve

AndyL
10-17-2004, 03:44 AM
Of course a properly designed reflector is going to work better than a white painted box - I was just providing numbers as to the actual reflection off a surface material. White paint is still one of the better reflective surfaces.

I doubt your 98.9% number though looking at your reflectors. More than 1.1% of the light is going to restrike the bulb - resulting in losses...

Andy

Majestic_Aquariums
10-17-2004, 04:01 AM
Anyone ever try a thin piece of aluminum; or even stainless? This can be bent to shape quite easily, and is easy to clean, won't flake or damage by saltwater-shouldn't cost that much if you source it out at a sheetmetal shop in your area. Just a thought-I've tried this before and it worked good.

StirCrazy
10-17-2004, 04:09 AM
Anyone ever try a thin piece of aluminum; or even stainless? This can be bent to shape quite easily, and is easy to clean, won't flake or damage by saltwater-shouldn't cost that much if you source it out at a sheetmetal shop in your area. Just a thought-I've tried this before and it worked good.

plain aluminum will work as well as stainless. but they will corode in a salt enviorment if you don't coat it.

Steve

StirCrazy
10-17-2004, 04:14 AM
I doubt your 98.9% number though looking at your reflectors. More than 1.1% of the light is going to restrike the bulb - resulting in losses...

Andy

the reflectance value is for the silver spectral aluminum its self not for the design of the reflector. but what you can't see because of the bracket for the MH is a small ^ (bend in the reflector) that prevents direct reflection back into the bulb.

anyways the point I am trying to make is that spectral aluminum has a slightly higher reflectance value than a mirror. high gloss white paint will give you a much better value than flat white paint but it is still going to far lower than any polished metal. the reason your study shows tinfoil as lower is it is wrinkled and it disperses the light to much. if it was perfectly smooth it would be higher than paint.

Hwy, I just noticed yor from the fort, are you working in the tar sands at all? My Dad is heading back up to run another shutdown up there, so much for retirment :mrgreen:

Steve

Invigor
10-17-2004, 04:16 AM
how much elbow grease does it take to make a normal piece of aluminum shine like a mirror? will my arm die without some fancy machine? I did the chrome on my car with super fine steel wool and my arm just about fell off when I was only done half of it.. :( got good results tho,

StirCrazy
10-17-2004, 04:17 AM
how much elbow grease does it take to make a normal piece of aluminum shine like a mirror? will my arm die without some fancy machine? I did the chrome on my car with super fine steel wool and my arm just about fell off when I was only done half of it.. :( got good results tho,

it will be harder than doing your chrome :mrgreen: and then you will have to do it every month to keep it looking nice. you could probably find spectral aluminum in a sheet mettal supply place for under 10.00/sq ft.

Steve

Majestic_Aquariums
10-17-2004, 04:22 AM
HOLY COW MAN! YOU SHOULD WORK FOR NASA!!!

Majestic_Aquariums
10-17-2004, 04:24 AM
HOLY COW MAN! YOU SHOULD WORK FOR NASA!!!

AndyL
10-17-2004, 04:37 AM
Steve: For the moment, looking forward to getting the heck outta here ASAP. Which shutdown is he working on? There are a few scheduled over the next few months...

Andy

StirCrazy
10-17-2004, 05:56 AM
Steve: For the moment, looking forward to getting the heck outta here ASAP. Which shutdown is he working on? There are a few scheduled over the next few months...

Andy

My mom was saying today she is heading up this week I think and will be there till almost christmas.

Steve

Invigor
10-18-2004, 01:20 AM
:idea:

I'm going to cut open a pop can for aMH reflector.
:mrgreen: