PDA

View Full Version : Filter not removing Phosphates

AquaAddict
10-07-2015, 04:33 AM
Hi,

My Aquasafe filter is not removing phosphates from my tap water (read approx 2ml/l with Sera). RowaPhos doesn't take all the Phosphate from the tank either. Does anybody else have this problem?

I have emailed Aquasafe but have not had a reply yet.

AquaAddict

Myka
10-07-2015, 01:47 PM
Hi,

My Aquasafe filter is not removing phosphates from my tap water (read approx 2ml/l with Sera). RowaPhos doesn't take all the Phosphate from the tank either. Does anybody else have this problem?

AquaAddict

I'm assuming you mean 2 mg/L which is A LOT of phosphate, and I have a hard time believe there is that much in your tap water. The tap water here as listed on the city website says total phosphate is <0.01 mg/L. How old are your prefilters and membrane?

I'm thinking your test kit is inaccurate. Could you double check your reading against either a friend's test kit or a test at the LFS? The other thought is that I'm not familiar with the Sera test kits, and most test kits only test inorganic phosphate (even the Hanna "Phosphorus" checker), but maybe the Sera kit tests both organic and inorganic? I'm going to vote on the former though.

GoFish
10-07-2015, 07:19 PM
Hi,

AquaAddict

Have you tested phosphates before and after going through the the rodi? If "xerxes300" chimes in here he may be able to tell you exactly what the current GVRD phosphate reading is from our tap water. It should be in line with what Myka found on the city website. Is your rodi new? Filters new? Could be stagnant water inside the unit?
If you're looking to lower phosphates in general within your tank I had good success with the liquid phosphate removers ("Fozdown" or "Phosphate Solution"). I tried GFO at one point but didn't like it, mostly just more work than adding a few drops here and there

AquaAddict
10-08-2015, 04:16 AM
Thanks everybody for going to the trouble to give such extensive advice.

Yes, it's 2.0 mg/l in the tap water and was slightly less after filtering. However, I gave my filter a good back flushing which I hadn't done since the spring and that resulted in a Zero phosphate reading from my Sera test.

The reason I stopped back flushing was because I always got a 0 reading on my TDI meter regardless of back flushing. Even before I changed all the filter units in the spring I always had a 0 reading on my TDI meter (Milwauke brand)

So, I guess I learned something new. TDI meters don't include phosphates.

AquaAddict
PS I have been using Fozdown with considerable success
PS Maybe my phosphates are high because of the long spring and summer drought?