PDA

View Full Version : Instant Ocean reef crystals

The Guy
10-05-2015, 06:29 PM
I'm going to change over to IO reef crystals, who out there uses this salt with a reef tank and how do you like it compared to regular IO salt.:question:

Skimmer Juice
10-05-2015, 07:23 PM
Have been using reef crystals for 10+ on my reef tank , its great salt calcium mixes close to 500 , so a bit high , and my only gripe is the brown film it leaves in my mixing barrel . Have never used regular instant ocean . But I did use seachem for a bit as I could not find reef crystals and ended up going back to reef crystals and pay $10 a bucket more .

Animal-Chin
10-05-2015, 07:48 PM
I used regular, switched to reef crystals, saw no benefit at all and switched back. I'm dosing cal/alk/mg as I have a lot of SPS so those were not a big concern to me. Didn't seem worth the extra $20 a barrel to me. Just my opinion...

maron6977
10-05-2015, 08:28 PM
I've been using reef crystals for approx 4 yrs now . I find cal, Alk & mag way closer to needed parameters !

intarsiabox
10-05-2015, 11:20 PM
I have been using it for the last few months and have been quite happy with it. I don't have a ton of corals, mostly LPS and a few softies and everything is happy. I started using it after seeing the Fragbox owners mini reef tank on their website. The tank looks great and it is skimmerless and no dosing, just Reef Crystals. I haven't had much free time this summer so I haven't really done much in the way of testing, my visual diagnosis is no nuisance algae and corals are expanded and growing. So the tank likes it anyway.

Muller
10-07-2015, 03:01 AM
I have always used reef crystals and have never had any issues with it. Yes there is a brown substance left in the mixing container but I don't worry about it.