PDA

View Full Version : Orange shoulder tang gets aggressive...

rishu_pepper
10-04-2015, 01:05 AM
I recently introduced my fowleri tang into my DT. It has been 6 days and my orange shoulder tang (juvenile colours, 4-5") has been bullying it unrelentingly. It goes out of its way to chase around the fowleri (same size) and the poor guy hasn't been able to settle down well. It still eats frozen/pellets but nori time it doesn't get any because the OST would chase it away, even if I put two different nori's at two ends of my 8' tank. :twised: The OST before this was the nicest fish, never bothers anybody, just minds its own business. I guess the introduction of another Acanthurus did not help, but I had thought that the general tame nature of the OST would be okay for the fowleri...

I can sense the fowleri is definitely very stressed and I don't know if they'll ever work it out if status quo is maintained. Should I take the OST into the sump for a timeout? Or just leave them be and hopefully it'll subside? I won't consider selling either fish unless it's an absolute last resort, I love them both equally. Any ideas?

spit.fire
10-04-2015, 01:10 AM
If you can catch it throw it in the sump or qt for a week

gregzz4
10-04-2015, 01:15 AM
Put an eggcrate devider in the middle of the tank for a few days
Each one will have half the tank to use in the meantime

rishu_pepper
10-04-2015, 01:38 AM
If you can catch it throw it in the sump or qt for a week

I just tried for a good while to catch him, no dice, wasn't even really close.

Put an eggcrate devider in the middle of the tank for a few days
Each one will have half the tank to use in the meantime

I could try that. Where does one procure the eggcrate divider in a pinch?

gregzz4
10-04-2015, 01:41 AM
Home depot
Egg crate (http://www.homedepot.ca/product/egg-crate-white-louver-2375-inch-x-4775-inch/924867)

rishu_pepper
10-04-2015, 01:42 AM
Home depot
Light diffuser

Thanks Greg, I'll go grab some tomorrow, still have a bit of store credit at HD. :)

gregzz4
10-04-2015, 01:44 AM
$15 gets you a 2x4 foot piece
Re-read my last post.
Link provided

How much do you need to run the front to back and top to bottom of your tank ?

rishu_pepper
10-04-2015, 01:47 AM
$15 gets you a 2x4 foot piece
Re-read my last post.
Link provided

How much do you need to run the front to back and top to bottom of your tank ?

Depth/height are both 20", so one piece will be more than I need.

Is there a particular way to have it held up or do I just plop it in there lol?

gregzz4
10-04-2015, 01:50 AM
I woulda offered a piece, but youre close enough to the United Blvd outlet

Cut it so it fits between your 'scape front to back and when you stuff it in the sand it comes close to or clears the surface
You'll have to play with it to make it fit. The idea is to get it tight enough to the front and back panes so the 2 tangs cannot sneak through

rishu_pepper
10-04-2015, 01:57 AM
I woulda offered a piece, but youre close enough to the United Blvd outlet

Cut it so it fits between your 'scape front to back and when you stuff it in the sand it comes close to or clears the surface
You'll have to play with it to make it fit. The idea is to get it tight enough to the front and back panes so the 2 tangs cannot sneak through

Gotcha, will try that.

The fowleri is a really underrated and underappreciated fish, such beautiful colours. Hope they will all coexist and be a happy family haha.

Myka
10-04-2015, 02:50 AM
Use the light diffuser to corner the Orange Shoulder on one side of the and then catch him a few hours after lights out. :) Separating them would probably work too if you can leave the diffuser in the tank.

rishu_pepper
10-04-2015, 03:40 AM
Use the light diffuser to corner the Orange Shoulder on one side of the and then catch him a few hours after lights out. :) Separating them would probably work too if you can leave the diffuser in the tank.

Sounds like a plan haha.

On a completely unrelated note, the yellowheaded jawfish that went in the DT at the same time last week, since appearing once on the second day, has not made an appearance since then. When should I start to get worried?

Madreefer
10-04-2015, 04:27 PM
Sounds like a plan haha.

On a completely unrelated note, the yellowheaded jawfish that went in the DT at the same time last week, since appearing once on the second day, has not made an appearance since then. When should I start to get worried?

He's most likely made his home in some spot that is out of site. I have a pink spotted goby that I see maybe once every 2 months. I forget he's there. If your fish has died I would'nt go looking for it either, the worms in your tank have probbly already took care of diposing it for you.