PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Slime Stuff

Cap'n
10-12-2004, 06:42 AM
Just moved some rocks around and found a bunch of pale yellow, slimy, algae stuff on the back of one rock. It is easy to pull the longer sections off but most everything is left behind. It was in a spot of low flow so I moved the rock out with the algae-stuff exposed so I could see if it will deteriorate. There was a bit on the neighbouring rock where it has spread.

Anyone know what this might be or where I could find some pictures to possibly identify?

Cap'n
10-14-2004, 02:30 AM
Come-on, just because I don't have a picture of the junk doesn't mean I don't deserve a few suggestions... :puppydog:

OK, a bit more info. The slime looks like it started around a bunch of dead / empty feather-duster tubes. Colour and consistancy of snot.

Yeah, a picture would be nice, but then I wouldn't have the excuse to say "snot".

AJ_77
10-14-2004, 02:35 AM
I think that's a patch of, oh what was it called... oh yeah, "low-flow snot."

:biggrin: sorry man, don't know what died in there...

Cap'n
10-14-2004, 02:38 AM
The thing is that it keeps growing, and spreading. I have it out in a high flow area now. Do you think that will be enough?

AJ_77
10-14-2004, 03:20 AM
Sounds nasty. Take the one rock out and purge it. Stringy, snot-like masses just CAN'T be good.

christyf5
10-14-2004, 04:34 AM
I think I have what you're talking about. Yellowy brown snotty junk. Mine has that "waving in the sun summer wheat quality" to it though. Astrea snails are doing the trick for me.

Christy :)

Cap'n
10-14-2004, 04:39 AM
Sounds nasty. Take the one rock out and purge it. Stringy, snot-like masses just CAN'T be good.

It's on the back of the first frag I ever bought. Although the clove polyps are not doing so well my low-light environment I like the pink-with-white-tips things growing on the back. (can't wait for a digital camera)

Cap'n
10-14-2004, 04:40 AM
I think I have what you're talking about. Yellowy brown snotty junk. Mine has that "waving in the sun summer wheat quality" to it though. Astrea snails are doing the trick for me.

Christy :)

None of my snails are going near this stuff. I wouldn't either.

sumpfinfishe
10-14-2004, 08:15 AM
You sure it's not sponge,
I have a few patches of a slimmy sponge on the back areas of my reef which are yellow and slimmy, different in size and texture compaired to the golf ball sponges in the brightly lit areas of the reef however. There are many types of sponges that take on many forms of sizes and textures and colors :biggrin: