PDA

View Full Version : Dosing nitrate

Myka
09-16-2015, 01:22 AM
Who's dosing nitrate? Please share your recipes, dosing, and experiences. :)

Myka
09-16-2015, 01:28 AM
I make a stock solution using 30 grams sodium nitrate into 500 mL RO/DI water. If I dose 1/2 tsp into my tank (about 80 gallons total volume including displacement from rock, etc) it raises nitrate about 1 ppm. May tank is too young to really post any observations.

I have dosed nitrate in past tanks which I've found helps lower phosphate if the tank was previously nitrate limited. I also find SPS corals to be more colorful at 1-5 ppm nitrate rather than "0".

dcw1sfu
09-16-2015, 01:53 AM
Any idea how the seachem flourish nitrate and phosphate products are? I've found that I might have to dose some phosphate as I'm in the opposite boat 0 phosphate on a hanna and about 10 nitrate. I stopped dosing vinegar ad i foind i was having a few problems and started running all in one biopellets and now this is where I'm at with phosphate and nitrates.

On a side note my tank has never looked this clean and haven't cleaned the glass in a week.

Myka
09-16-2015, 01:56 AM
I know some people that use the Seachem products, and I've used the Flourish Nitrogen myself. I couldn't find these products recently, so I ordered NaNO3 from a science company in the US. It's much cheaper than using Flourish.

I've been at 0 ppb on the Hanna ULR Phosphorus kit until today I finally hit 6 ppb (0.006 ppm). Phosphate is easy to increase - just feed the crap out of the fish. Why don't you switch back to normal biopellets?

dcw1sfu
09-16-2015, 02:31 AM
I know some people that use the Seachem products, and I've used the Flourish Nitrogen myself. I couldn't find these products recently, so I ordered NaNO3 from a science company in the US. It's much cheaper than using Flourish.

I've been at 0 ppb on the Hanna ULR Phosphorus kit until today I finally hit 6 ppb (0.006 ppm). Phosphate is easy to increase - just feed the crap out of the fish. Why don't you switch back to normal biopellets?

Was hoping to emiminate the use of GFO which i did. I feed alot pellets twice a day via neptune feeder and then frozen at night as well as nori every other day. Also dose red sea reef energy.

Started kalkwasser again recently (still dosing 2 part as well) which may also be contrubing to the elimination of phosphates. Figure maybe dosong a bit of phosphates might get my nitrates a little lower.

Myka
09-16-2015, 02:48 AM
Which checker are you using? The ULR Phosphorus or the Phosphate?

dcw1sfu
09-16-2015, 04:40 AM
Which checker are you using? The ULR Phosphorus or the Phosphate?

ULR Phosphorus

Myka
09-16-2015, 01:45 PM
ULR Phosphorus

I think if you remove the phosphate reducing agents you're using that will solve the problem.

dcw1sfu
09-16-2015, 04:45 PM
Only direct phosphate reducer I'm using is the all in one biopellets. When I used regular biopellets in the past nitrates were low but required GFO to get the phosphates down. I'm trying to avoid using GFO separately.

Craigdillman
09-16-2015, 10:10 PM
ill give you some of my water and you can dose that lol

wish i had that problem of 0ppm nitrate 0ppm phosphate.... soon soon

Myka
09-17-2015, 12:06 AM
Only direct phosphate reducer I'm using is the all in one biopellets. When I used regular biopellets in the past nitrates were low but required GFO to get the phosphates down. I'm trying to avoid using GFO separately.
Use half of each. :)

ill give you some of my water and you can dose that lol

wish i had that problem of 0ppm nitrate 0ppm phosphate.... soon soon
:lol: Funny you mention that - I was using some tank water from another tank to help Introduce nutrients.

dcw1sfu
09-17-2015, 01:32 AM
Use half of each. :)

:lol: Funny you mention that - I was using some tank water from another tank to help Introduce nutrients.

I thought about using half and half regular bio-pellets to AIO bio pellets, however the flow required fro AIO biopellets is so much greater then what is needed for the regular bio pellets that I thought this might not work so well.

Myka
09-17-2015, 02:34 AM
I thought about using half and half regular bio-pellets to AIO bio pellets, however the flow required fro AIO biopellets is so much greater then what is needed for the regular bio pellets that I thought this might not work so well.

Maybe. I haven't tried the AIO pellets...

Myka
09-17-2015, 02:35 AM
Ok seriously, none of you SPS geeks are dosing nitrate??? It's all the rage ya know... ;)

Craigdillman
09-17-2015, 03:21 AM
Lol sps geeks

Jordon
08-12-2016, 09:10 PM
Heh, the thread is a bit old, but I just ordered some Sodium Nitrate to begin dosing Nitrate as I haven't been abel to get a proper Nitrate reading in nearly a year, and Aquaforest hasn't helped (ohh what a problem to have)

I'm worried the imbalance of Phosphate/Nitrate is stunting growth and coloration, so i'm gonna give it a go!

vanreefer
10-10-2016, 05:11 PM
Where did u get ur NaNo3... Any benefit Na vs K No3