PDA

View Full Version : Massive Bristleworm Spawn! creepy!

summer57
09-15-2015, 04:06 AM
Right after I turned down the lights a bit for nighttime, I noticed a big puff of white 'smoke' coming out of a rock. Then more puffs and clouds coming out of all the rocks. Saw a bristleworm sticking out of a rock squirting out a big white cloud. But so many clouds - not only must there be lots of bristleworms in there, looks like there are going to be lots of baby bristles one day soon.

Now my tank is completely cloudy, looks like it's all fogged up.

Yikes. Totally unexpected! I guess I assumed they just magically multiplied, segment by segment.

Myka
09-15-2015, 01:17 PM
If it's bad enough to make the water opaque, watch out for oxygen deprivation in your fish (keep skimmer running even if it's overflowing, and point powerheads at the water surface to create ripples). Also keep an eye that you get an ammonia spike from all the "organics" breaking down. Doing a good sized water change and adding some fresh carbon isn't a bad idea. Check out threads on "clam spawning" which is more common, but results in the same troubles.

summer57
09-26-2015, 04:41 PM
Thanks for the tips!

And yes, the ammonia spiked - it's at .25. I should have made the connection with the spawn, I thought it was caused by leftover krill that we feed the Fuzzy Lionfish. Sometimes he misses one or two and it gets lodged somewhere in the tank, though I assumed the krill would be eaten by the shrimp or bristleworms before it rotted.

I put in some Prime, just in case.

The only other spawn I've see was Trochus snails a few months ago. Now there's baby snails in the tank! I'd much rather see baby snails than big bristleworms!

Muller
10-07-2015, 02:57 AM
This just happened all throughout my tank. My lights are just starting to dim on my DIY led build. I had to adjust the lights so the video wasn't completely blue. https://vimeo.com/141621953