PDA

View Full Version : looking for new tank info setup

fishguyxd
10-11-2004, 04:11 PM
Well have my 72 gal RR tank. Any suggestions When I use the overflow kit are there any modifications or tricks of the trade I should do when installing. I have already sourced out the pvc pipe etc. I still have to come up with a sump yet. should I have shut off valves for each line and/or any check valve included
This is all new to me. I am probably going to run the {quiet one 4000 model pump} But not exactly sure if this is corrert when using one of those flow rate calulators on a web site or do I go for a mag 12 instead???

any help or info please
thanks
AL :eek:

Quinn
10-11-2004, 06:07 PM
I have a 48x12x18" (50 gal) sump/fuge if you're interested.

mr_alberta
10-12-2004, 03:19 AM
For your overflow, you will probably be looking at a stand pipe. Now, before you go out and buy an overflow kit from Oceanic or All Glass, do a search on Reef Central for something called a "Durso" standpipe, or, alternatively, a "Stockman" standpipe. This should help with the noise that you'll most likely get when setting up a sump/overflow system.

For your return from the sump, you don't need check valves, but you do need a way to break the siphon in case of a power failure. The last thing you would want is your display tank to drain to the level of the return. How you break the siphon is to drill a small hole in your return line just below the water's surface. That way only a little water will siphon back into your tank.

I do suggest putting unions and ballvalves on the inlet and outlet of your pump so you can remove it for maintenance. Have fun with your tank!

Richer
10-12-2004, 04:18 AM
Unions, IMO are a blessing. On top of putting unions on your pump, I would also suggest putting on the pipe(s) extending from any bulkheads in your tank. If you're going to be running any longer stretch of piping, putting a union on the pipe would also be useful if you plan on ever modifying/moving your tank around (and who doesn't? :mrgreen: ).

-Richer

IslandReefer
10-22-2004, 11:58 AM
Just my 2 cents worth,
Go to : http://www.rl180reef.com/frames.htm
stand pipes are easy....supplies @ Home depot.

I also have a quiet-one 6000...not so quiet and hot....go with the mag or for external a mak4 or for more money Iwaki etc.
I second the idea of unions, before and after pumps.......watch valves on the drain(s)...if they plug or gum up :sad:
IMHO

Dabbler
10-22-2004, 02:19 PM
I will have a 33 gal sump comming aviable in a few days as I am upgrading to a 72 gal fuge