PDA

View Full Version : Tang capacity?

burtonboi
09-13-2015, 06:02 AM
I'm planning on doing a mostly tang aquarium. Just recently upgraded to at 250 gallon from a 90 full reef. Is 8 tangs too many for that size??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Aquattro
09-13-2015, 06:14 AM
Probably. I had 5 in my 180, which worked for a while, but they started fighting after 6 months. Removed the weakest, the next weakest got it. I had to drop down to 3 to keep the peace.

Myka
09-13-2015, 12:24 PM
One of my clients has an 8' 240 (that he stocks himself) with a 14" Unicorn, 12" Mata, 6" Powder Blue, 6" Hippo, 5" Scopas, 4" Yellow, 3.5" Clown, and 3.5" Tomini. They've all been together for 18 months except the PBT and Clown were added about a year ago, and the Scopas was causing grief in another tank and was moved in about 4 months ago. All was peaceful until the Scopas moved in - he picked on the Yellow badly and the PBT, Clown, and a Hawkfish a bit too and had to be removed. His name is Devilfish. The two big ones are buddies and don't bother anyone.

Another has a 6' 230 with a 6" Powder Blue, 5" Sailfin, 3" Purple. The PBT was added last is borderline problematic - he goes after the other two quite a lot. These have been together only a few months and I'm not sure that they will be able to stay together.

I think If you want several tangs you need to carefully pick species that are different from each other and maybe not exactly what you really want, and also different sizes. Plus there are variances in each species and you also have to be willing to remove/trade a problematic one out.

Which species do you have in mind?

mihaivapler
09-13-2015, 04:31 PM
i have a 6' tank with a 10" vlamingi,6" yellow tang,2 7" hippo tang,2 3" hippo tang,6"powder brown tang,7" clown tang,5" levender tang,6" sailfin tang,6" desjardin tang and 6"nasso tang...they all getting along for around 2 years the last addition was about a year.but don't recommend this,because i like all of them and i don't want to get rid of them i will have to upgrade the tank,also keep in mind big fish poop a lot so your water will be very hard to keep clean,i have a 30% wc every week with a huge bio-pellet reactor and a monster skimmer and i can't bring my nitrates lower then 20ppm...

Piscez
09-13-2015, 04:43 PM
i had 10 tangs at one point with other kinds totaling 20 in a 220gal, now down to 4 from bulling = 1 purple, 1 yellow, 1 naso and 1 white cheek.