PDA

View Full Version : To airlift or not to airlift... That is the question...

AndyL
10-11-2004, 12:21 AM
Question for ya's,

Decided to use the available space behind my 2.5 to install a sump - maybe a refugium if I can come up with a neat way to light it (thinking LEDs would be appropriate in this case).

Due to temperature issues already - I'm thinking I don't want to add another pump to the system. Best alternative I could come up with was to run a syphon fill, then an air driven lift tube to return water to the main tank.

I've got a mockup on the desk working right now - so I know the system COULD work - and it's dropped the tank temperatures from 81F to 77 (I'm guessing the air lift is working somewhat like an evaporative cooler)

I'm wondering if I've missed something in my plan to do this - is there a good reason why I Shouldn't do it? Noise and saltcreep were the only downsides I can see to the system...

Andy

Bob I
10-11-2004, 12:48 AM
I don't know if this helps, but in the past I have used a smaller tank at the same level as the main tank as a refugium. I used U-tubes to keep the water of the two tanks at the same level, and used a powerhead to return the water to the main tank.(Maxijet 400). In my case there were no heat problems. The main tank was a 33 Gallon semi cube and the refugium was a standard 10 gallon tank. :biggrin:

AndyL
10-11-2004, 01:26 AM
Hey bob,

Real debate is whether I run the airlift for the return or not - definitely want the extra capacity - and a place to put some macro. But an extra pump is just not an option - produces too much heat for this small quantity of water (With the biggest sump/fuge I can fit is still under 4g for the total system)

Just wondering if there's a reason I shouldn't be using the airlift method for moving water back into the tank...

Andy

Bob I
10-11-2004, 01:31 AM
The only real difference is that I used a small powerhead, and you want to use an airlift. Except for the slower flow and lack of possible heat there is no reason you could not do this. Go to it, and let us know. :biggrin: