PDA

View Full Version : False Percula Clownfish

Azilla
10-09-2004, 06:39 PM
I realy really want another False Percula Clownfish i love mine to death and would really like to have 2. But I know there is issues with addin another clown. Will my clown kill the new one??? I mean he gets aggressive if i dont feed him on time and i put my hand in the tank he will bite me lol. I really want another but i dont want one if there is issues.
Can anyone give me info on what to do?? or has anyone bought one and added one later on??

thanks guys

Samw
10-09-2004, 08:21 PM
I've got 3 ocellaris at the moment all hosting in the same anemone. They came from 3 different places originally and are even different sizes.

robbyville
10-10-2004, 06:29 PM
Sometimes there are initial problems, but they should work themselves out, assuming that we're speaking of keeping two of the same type. another thing that some say might work is to re-arrange the rockwork a little or perhaps quarantine your present clown, the introduce the new clown followed by the older one so that they are both introduced into a new environment.

HTH

Rob

StirCrazy
10-10-2004, 06:55 PM
I realy really want another False Percula Clownfish i love mine to death and would really like to have 2. But I know there is issues with addin another clown. Will my clown kill the new one??? I mean he gets aggressive if i dont feed him on time and i put my hand in the tank he will bite me lol. I really want another but i dont want one if there is issues.
Can anyone give me info on what to do?? or has anyone bought one and added one later on??

thanks guys

buy one that is a lot smaller than the one you presently have. I just added another true perc to my tank that way and they are getting along fine.

Steve

IslandReefer
10-12-2004, 02:14 PM
I agree with Steve, it worked for me .
If the male (sorry but your aggressive "guy" is most likely a "gal" by now)
that you add is significantly smaller than the female.....he cowers immediately and doesn't have to be smacked around for a while like he would if he challanged the female.
Also get an ORA or another tank raised clown ...it is said that they are more tollerant. :mrgreen:

Quinn
10-12-2004, 02:46 PM
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=215098

Bob I
10-19-2004, 05:31 PM
I had a true Perc sitting around looking very lonely, so yesterday I was at a LFS, and noticed a very feisty specimen that looked to be the same size as mine. I took a chance, and bought it. I then moved mine to another tank, and introduced the new one. For a few minutes it looked as if war would break out, but then they seemed overjoyed with each other's company. They became quite rambunctious, and broke some digitata. Today they are happily swimming in each other's company. :biggrin:

I would never recommend keeping a single Ocealaris, or true Percula. They appear to pine for company.

Quinn
10-19-2004, 09:34 PM
Broke some digitata, that's impressive. :eek: I think considering the low cost and the rewards of watching the interaction of two individuals, there is no reason not to keep clownfishes in pairs (or more depending on the species). I don't think fish get lonely though. :wink:

Bob I
10-20-2004, 02:50 AM
That is true of course oh pedantic one. You cannot impose human emotions on fish. Perculas and Ocellaris clowns just appear to do better when they have the company of their own species. :biggrin:

Quinn
10-20-2004, 03:57 AM
Now that I will accept. :mrgreen:

SeaHorse_Fanatic
10-24-2004, 12:23 AM
Agree with those who said keep two different sizes. Clown fish are born asexual & the largest with morph into female & second largest morphs into male. If the female dies, males changes into new female & next largest juv. morphs into male. etc....