PDA

View Full Version : Calcium Reactor & Low PH

Restless10101
08-16-2015, 07:32 PM
Hello everyone

I have a potential problem that I hope someone help me with.

I have been dosing TLF C balance in my 90 gallon reef tank, and I am now dosing just over 50ml / day and I am still having a hard time maintaining my calcium levels. The cost alone is making me think of other alternatives. So, I have been thinking about switching over to a calcium reactor. I have heard that the Co2 can lower the PH in your system, and hence my problem. Currently my PH peeks during the day at 8.1 and at night it goes down to 7.9. If I do switch over should I be looking for a calcium reactor that has a attached media reactor for kalkwasser?

Any thoughts are ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Myka
08-16-2015, 07:48 PM
You don't necessarily have to get a calcium reactor with a kalk reactor attached to it, but it isn't a bad idea. There are pros and cons to having one piece of equipment rather than two. IMO, it is a good plan to use kalk from the get go. I prefer to dose kalk using a doser rather than putting in the ATO because it's easier to control (especially in new tanks or those with lower demand), but that's up to you. I also like to add vinegar to the kalk vessel because then you can mix it to 3 tsp per gallon rather than just 2 tsp per gallon plus it has the added benefit of carbon dosing, and you can't do that if you use a kalk reactor. I love kalk - it has many benefits, and helping with pH is only one. I think you're on the right track by planning to use it. Also, if you feed your CaX effluent into the skimmer intake this will help to dissipate the CO2 (which is what lowers the pH). Do use a pH controller too, not just a monitor.

On the other hand, you could choose a cheaper 2-part to dose. Both the Fauna Marin and Tropic Marin systems are cheaper. They are "balling" systems which include the option to dose trace elements with along with the "big 3", but you can just use the 3 powders instead. Any powdered product will be cheaper than any solution product simply because of the concentration and the cost of shipping water.

untamed
08-16-2015, 11:51 PM
Run the Ca reactor and don't worry about the pH. If you want, run the Kali in at night.

Aquattro
08-17-2015, 12:52 AM
Run the Ca reactor and don't worry about the pH.

That's what I do.