PDA

View Full Version : aiptasia and Lazers

donkey77
08-14-2015, 07:40 PM
been looking into this anybody use them, I've read anything over 1 watt would fry the aiptasia, but are VERY Dangerous, so if you take all precautions are they worth it, and is there any where in canada that sell them

bleevin
08-14-2015, 09:58 PM
Here's a video a guy made talking about a laser.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvkEbx1P85U

albert_dao
08-14-2015, 10:37 PM
I had a friend who did this. From the dead one emerged 50 little dudes. Recommended ONLY if the foot isn't inside a hole. Sure, you can refry the little dudes, but they don't always end up in easy to spot locations.

mihaivapler
08-15-2015, 04:19 PM
Just use vinegar. I was fighting for about 4 months trying with aptasia-x but no results. After that I just took the seringe from the aptasia-x put vinegar in it and blow it right in the mouth.that was all,half of seringe for each and they are dead. Is 2 month since I did it and not even one came back(had 8 huge ones)

reefmandan
08-15-2015, 04:50 PM
I've got some 1mL hypodermic needle/syringes in my lab that I've used in the past. I just make a kalk slurry, jab the needle into the mouth and give it a little shot. Works every time!

GoFish
08-15-2015, 05:16 PM
I don't know of anyone in Canada that sells them unfortunately. You can buy parts off eBay in the U.S. Or from a few websites already built. I have 2 that were custom made in Europe, they took quite a while to be built and arrive, both were declared as flashlights and weren't opened by customs fortunately. I think there's a bit of a grey area of the law, if they were declared appropriately not so sure they would've have arrived.

As far as killing Aipatasia, the higher the power the better it seems to work. I don't get a lot of practice with them as I rarely see any but when they pop up the laser makes quick work of them, the higher power one just does the job faster. I cook them completely so they look like white mush and make sure there are no tentacles left in tact to spread. It's also best if you can get the foot at the same time (direct line of sight). Honestly I find mixing kalk powder with water, injecting them with the flow off and get them to swallow it is just as affective

That laser in the video looks to be about 1 watt? I'd go higher than that. The higher the power the shorter the duty cycle the shorter the batteries last. But you can lengthen the duty cycle by getting ones with larger heat sinks, preferable in copper, and larger batteries. One of mine weighs close to a pound.

Things I've killed include, Vermitid snails, Aiptasia, Majanos, Coraline, zoas, feather dusters, bubble algae, some type of brown algae and some other things...

I use it selectively, for example if there's a baby Aiptasia in the middle of a zoa colony I'd rather use kalk in a syringe instead of killing the neighbouring zoas at the same time. Whatever I kill is at least 1/8" away from any coral I don't want to harm, but the further the better to make sure.

They're lots of fun, however EXTREMELY DANGEROUS! You can be blinded with direct or even indirect light in milliseconds permanently. Get good quality safety glasses meant for the light range of the diode! You can also be burned by the laser bouncing off the glass of the tank and hitting bare skin so I hold it as close the glass as possible. If you want to burn something from above the tank, all flow must be turned off otherwise the light scatters too much to accomplish anything. You could probably also blind your fish, but so far I haven't seen any I'll effects on them as they stay well away from it.

:laser:

donkey77
08-16-2015, 02:15 PM
well i picked up a 1.4 watt blue laser and will be doing all safety precautions to a t, with nobody home and blinds closed, can't wait to hear the popping and sizzling sounds, i just hope a 1.4w will be enough, most of the aiptsisa are close to my front glass, ill take a video of it, but remember SAFETY FIRST

donkey77
08-25-2015, 11:25 PM
wow just wow
fried up two of the little bastards and wow the popping and sizzling was pretty cool,then suck them right off the rock with my water change, will try and take a hd video tonight but wow just wow