PDA

View Full Version : * LED HELP * Need input for custom PAR 38 LED for Freshwater Plants

Coasting
08-12-2015, 09:42 PM
Im not sure who better to ask since there are so many fresh water folk on here as well.

I will be ordering a par 38 bulb for my Freshwater betta/shrimp tank from good old aliexpress.
It is an Aqueon Evolve 8, so like in reality only 5 gallons or something...
I've all ready got a gooseneck light attachment for it just running a CFL for now. So I do have some ability to move my light up and down.
I have all easy "Tropica" plants in it like:
Marsilea crenata
Tropica Potted Hygrophila 'Siamensis 53B'
Limnophila sessiliflora
Ludwigia palustris
Rotala rotundifolia

I am looking at either a 12 or 15 LED bulb. They will all be 3w Cree chips. But I don't think these ones run at their full output (ie 45w running at 18...)

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/45W-Led-Plant-light-E27-PAR-Lamp-Hydroponic-Plant-Flowers-Vegatables-Green-Led-Grow-Lights-Plant/32226326976.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/36W-E27-Par-Led-grow-light-for-hydroponics-lighting/2053569418.html

I think this is the basis of my choices to make things simple...
Deep Red 660nm
Orange 610nm
Green 520nm
Yellow 580nm
Deep Blue 460nm
Royal Blue 450nm
Infrared 730nm
Normal White 6500K
Cool White 12000K/14000k

If I got the 15 pcs bulb I was thinking something along the lines of
6 x White (3x6500k 3x14000k)
3x blue450
3x red660
1xyellow580
1xgreen520
1xinfrared730

But I have no idea.... This was much easier picking the custom lights for my light for the salt tank....
I don't want so many white that it burns the plants being too bright.
But I don't want so many other colours that all I see is a rainbow.
I want a nice natural light look with optimized plant growth.

What would you pick?

saltcreep
08-13-2015, 06:52 PM
Do you know the spectral output of the whites especially the 14k? The plants you have are easy, except for the Marsilea, so they should grow well. Are you fertilizing or using CO2?

Coasting
08-14-2015, 02:46 AM
See I'm not sure this is why I need help :P

No co2, but ive initially planted everything with root tabs (well not the marsilea since it was difficult enough to plant) And may or may not dose liquid ferts, haven't figure out what I want to do.
I'm using seachem fluorite substrate.
Everything seems to be growing reasonably well so far and Its been in the tank 1 week.
The Marsilea is looking like its rooting reasonably well, a few bits of it that were kind of brown and meh when I got the cup are still like that but I see it trying to grow and I see the roots from the bits that were sticking up reaching down into my substrate.
The other plants have all ready grown at least over an inch per stem.

The lights on the tank right now are the stock light from the tank which is white and blue, no clue on the wattage of each LED im assuming super low.
And a household spiral CFL lol

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l88/Lolaandthecrowd/Fish%20Tank/20150807_175259.jpg

saltcreep
08-14-2015, 09:41 PM
The thing you need to remember is that the colour temperature of normal daylight is around 5500-6000k with photosynthesis requirements using the spectral peaks at about 440nm (blue) and 650nm (red). You may want to change the infrared to red in order to assist with the L. palustris. I would also change the cool white to something that is 8000k max.

All the potted plants you purchased should do well under your current setup. The Marsilea will take time to get going. I would recommend liquid fertilization for the tank as the tissue culture plants will benefit from it. Also, based on the potted plants, L. sessilifora especially, with deplete the nutrients in the take quickly.

Coasting
08-14-2015, 11:58 PM
Would using a green or yellow or orange led be of any benifit?

The Ludwigia is actually getting nice and red right under the crappy lights im using right now so i have high hopes for it.

What ratio would you use? What would you pick? I read a few pages that said plants like infrared light which is why i added it to my imaginary light.

Im thinking of going with the 12 led bulb so its not TOO bright and burns the plants.
4xwhite
3xblue
4xred
1xsomething else?green?
Or..... ..?

Something like api leaf zone? Petsmart has a seachem liquid fert. Cant remember what one. I will look into it. Not many choices for good pet stores that are affordable where i am on the island.

Thanks for the help.

StirCrazy
08-16-2015, 02:42 PM
Something like api leaf zone? Petsmart has a seachem liquid fert. Cant remember what one. I will look into it. Not many choices for good pet stores that are affordable where i am on the island.

Thanks for the help.

seachem was alright, but you can go better with pmdd (pour mans dosing drops)

http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/Fertilizer/pmdd-tim.html

Steve

Coasting
08-16-2015, 03:12 PM
Hmmm that looks interesting.
Not sure im ready to try making my own quite yet. Plus thats a lot to buy for a wee little tank.

Plants seem to be growing well so far.
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l88/Lolaandthecrowd/Fish%20Tank/20150814_185402.jpg

Im just stumped on what leds to pick.

saltcreep
08-16-2015, 08:50 PM
Would using a green or yellow or orange led be of any benifit?

Not for the plants. They don't use light in those spectrums for photosynthesis. A green light would visually enhance the colour of the green plants. They appear green because that colour is reflected. The more green light you add, the greener they will appear.

What ratio would you use? What would you pick? I read a few pages that said plants like infrared light which is why i added it to my imaginary light.

Im thinking of going with the 12 led bulb so its not TOO bright and burns the plants.
4xwhite
3xblue
4xred
1xsomething else?green?
Or..... ..?

That ratio would work for the plants. I don't have much experience in building LED's so I'm not sure what they would look like visually. That tends to be an important factor as many hobbyists like a certain look for their tanks.

Thanks for the help.

I'm not sure where on the island you are located, but try finding Tropica fertilizers. It's what they have tested and use on their own plants. Your tank looks like it needs a trim already. Everything looks nice and healthy.

Coasting
08-17-2015, 06:08 AM
Hmm so there might be some trial and error in the light selection.
For 20 bucks i guess its not the end of the world if i hate how it looks haha.
But i do need to ensure i pick the right colours for plant growth! Ugh. This was so much easier whe i ordered my evergrow :(

I ordered the plants from aquarium west and they seem to sell the ferts from tropica as well. Maybe next time im back on the mainland i can stop by and grab something. For now root tabs will half to suffice... plants sure arent suffering!
The hygrophylia is growing well and getting some nice colour to the leaves but it doesnt stay in the substrate well. I have tried to bury the roots a few times and their all now a good 1/4inch exposed. Like the plant is too light and is trying to lift out.