PDA

View Full Version : My first Reefer 350

wes_22
08-10-2015, 05:10 PM
Hi everyone, its my first saltwater tank, before I had experience with fresh water tank, since we moved to bigger place I decided to set up salt water tank and hopefully get some advice from forum as I go with my set up.
After doing some research and reading I stop my chose on red sea tanks as they seems well build with good quality. I was debating between max 250 and reefer 350.
As for max 250 its plug and play but for reefer need to get all equipment separate.
So my chose came to reefer 350 as I like to do research about equipment I need and all set up process.
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/10/022b393e26f5ef4dfbcad6122e757cd3.jpg
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/10/1874ca7dc8ce04e24457d5a08dbc3869.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/10/c8a4df9678725c7871568179e50e7200.jpg

wes_22
08-10-2015, 05:24 PM
Start fill with water))

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/10/0c12a71014198167c14fbd5ccb898e09.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/10/d3ae7db30d32f9bbad9162f52ca8bbb9.jpg

After sand settle I start playing with rocks))

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/10/7815220aa66db8c58a6dab9a5c74e9ed.jpg

Next step would be to wait till cycle ends.
I'm still need to get lights set up, after some reading online i really like kessil 360 lights and kessil control, so I'm thinking to get 2 of those light,
should it be enough for reefer 350 ?

What you guys recommend for the first coral?

Regards fish me and my wife thinking to get pair of clown.

Thanks in advance for your advice ))

Skimmer Juice
08-10-2015, 05:47 PM
tank is a beaut , 2 kessils should be fine get the a360we I run 1 over a 36 inch tank and am happy with the coverage.
If you decide to get clowns get captive bred clowns .

Bblinks
08-10-2015, 08:11 PM
I have always like that tank, super sleek! Great job on setting everything up.

I think I would go with an easy lps for the first coral. I would highly suggest you not to get any softies since they will eventually become an eye sore...

Looking forward to see the progress.

intarsiabox
08-10-2015, 11:48 PM
I've had a toadstool leather in just about all of my tanks. Really easy to care for, they don't spread and looks super reefy! Easy LPS corals are torch, hammer and frogspawn, none of which are very demanding. Ricordia mushrooms and zoanthids/palys also look nice and are easy to keep, although zoanthids can sometimes "melt" in even the best tanks for some reason.

Your rock work looks awesome!

wes_22
08-24-2015, 07:55 PM
Thank for your feedback guys!!!
Some updates and where i got some problems.
1. After cycle end i put clean up crew (Blue Leg Hermit Crabs, Red Scarlet Hermit Crabs, Turbo Snails and Nassarius Snails) before i put them i check my water parameters and it was good.
2. after one week since i put cleanup crew i have add a pair clown, water parameters was also good.

So for one week clowns and clean up crew was doing good till last week clowns suddenly was covered with white spots. it happened right on next day when i did 5% water change. I have tried to treat them from ICK but with no luck :cry:
Clean up crew doing good but i have lost clowns :cry:

Not sure why this happened, could it be that introduced when i changed water?
Im not ready to put new fish any time soon until i figure out what happened and make sure it safe to put new fish.

rishu_pepper
08-24-2015, 08:22 PM
Thank for your feedback guys!!!
Some updates and where i got some problems.
1. After cycle end i put clean up crew (Blue Leg Hermit Crabs, Red Scarlet Hermit Crabs, Turbo Snails and Nassarius Snails) before i put them i check my water parameters and it was good.
2. after one week since i put cleanup crew i have add a pair clown, water parameters was also good.

So for one week clowns and clean up crew was doing good till last week clowns suddenly was covered with white spots. it happened right on next day when i did 5% water change. I have tried to treat them from ICK but with no luck :cry:

Im not ready to put new fish any time soon until i figure out what happened and make sure it safe to put new fish.

Sorry to hear about the clowns. Losing fish happens to the best of us, even when all parameters are fine. :sad: Don't think it was due to the small water change though, assuming you observed good husbandry and didn't add allow any foreign substances into the tank.

If the white spots were indeed ich (a visible symptom), then leaving the tank fish-less for 72 days is the usual answer. A large water change wouldn't hurt either.

Ich isn't a fast killer though, so if the white spots showed up and the clowns kicked the bucket the next day, it might be something more sinister like velvet or something.

Let us know how it turns out. The tank looks fantastic, by the way, I considered a Reefer 450 before deciding on a custom. I got some LPS and softie frags if you want some good easy corals. :biggrin:

intarsiabox
08-25-2015, 01:41 AM

When you say you treated them for ick, you didn't put medication in the display tank did you? Most ick medications are copper based which is highly toxic to corals and absorbed into the rocks and sand.

wes_22
08-25-2015, 05:43 PM
Yes i put medication in DT, the tank is pretty empty i have only green bird nest.
I have no idea that ICK medication so toxic for corals. I will do more water change and wait at least a month or more before introduce new fish to the tank or any corals.
What is scares me that white spots appears overnight and it was all over clowns, not just few spots.

@rishu_pepper it would be nice if i can get some corals from you but it would be after some time.