PDA

View Full Version : Smelliest Dead Thing

Aquattro
10-07-2004, 05:39 AM
What is the smelliest thing that you've ever had to fish out of the tank? I just removed a few turbo snails, and my whole house stinks!!

hockey nut
10-07-2004, 05:53 AM
for such a little creature they sure do smell when they die. SNAIL :eek:

Quinn
10-07-2004, 05:54 AM
How about this. You have about a foot of water in your tank, with a cuke, urchin and an assortment of crabs and snails in it. You go on vacation and while you're gone the power goes out, killing the circulation and the heater. Said tank is in your bedroom.

Samw
10-07-2004, 06:22 AM
dying/dead Elegance Coral by far was the smelliest I've had. Took months of water changes to get rid of the smell.

EDIT: The smell remained for months even after the animal was disposed.

Canadian Man
10-07-2004, 06:31 AM
You think a snail is bad......
Try a cowry the size of a tennis ball. :lol:

Multiply your snails by 100 and that's the stench level :razz:

Happened to me a couple of years ago while I was on holidays.

hockey nut
10-07-2004, 06:35 AM
ya I've heard those are pretty stinky.

AndyL
10-07-2004, 07:25 AM
Hands down... Boiled nanoreef... Knew I should have stuck with my old reliable heater.

Makes curing live rock, dead turbos, dead corals and dead fish all seem pretty tame.

Andy

danny zubot
10-07-2004, 02:13 PM
I used to have this cranky ol' hermit crab (2 inch shell) that lived in my sump. I found him dead one day, and while on my way to the garbage he fell out of his shell onto the floor. Picking his carcus up reminded me of my younger days cleaning up after my dog. Traumatic experience.

BMW Rider
10-07-2004, 02:37 PM
Hermit crab for me too. Had one once that was about 1". He hadn't moved fro a week or so, so I figured he wasn't just molting and decided to check him out. when I turned the shell over this little bubble of the worlds most deadly stench escaped and surfaced. Pretty much all that was left of him was a bit of his shell and some slime - and of course the smell, Oh the smell.

monza
10-07-2004, 02:59 PM
Three foot jumper Eel lying on the floor for three days, fresh wet ooze still seeping out a open hole in the side, the rest dried, crusted to the floor. Bad hang over to boot, puked numerous times on the clean up.

Second to that snails.

muck
10-07-2004, 03:07 PM
Three foot jumper Eel lying on the floor for three days, fresh wet ooze still seeping out a open hole in the side, the rest dried, crusted to the floor. Bad hang over to boot, puked numerous times on the clean up.

Second to that snails.

Sorry that is too funny... :razz: http://www.muiscontrols.com/ryan/lol2.gif
(The hang over part...)

christyf5
10-07-2004, 03:12 PM
3" abalone. Found it in my sandbed, I think it had been dead for some time. I had to open all the doors and windows and go outside and gag for awhile http://www.mysmilie.de/smilies/ekelig/img/007.gif

Christy :)

Delphinus
10-07-2004, 03:34 PM
I voted other because I think the worst smelling thing I've encountered was a dead anemone.

However, it has been about 4 years since I've encountered that, so my memory is clouded.

I recently pulled out a 3" turbo snail. It had been mostly consumed as there was no flesh to be seen, but there must have been something further in. It smelled so bad I had to bury it out in the back 40. There was no way I was letting it sit in a garbage bag in the garage because pickup wasn't for another 2 or 3 days.

So if I would vote again I'd probably vote snail. Yup, turbos smell realllll bad.

And I've smelled a LOT of foul odours over the years thanks to this hobby. Whatever our reasons ultimately ... I guarantee you we don't do this hobby for the olfactory, that's for darn sure.

Doug
10-07-2004, 03:50 PM
I voted clam but my wife says the removal of old DSB has no rival. :lol:

EmilyB
10-07-2004, 10:30 PM
Dead turbo, but it can be closely rivaled by a forgotten piece of homemade fishfood sitting out somewhere for a day or so.

christyf5
10-07-2004, 10:35 PM
Bwahaha, EmilyB's post makes me change my mind. Frozen fish food left out soaking in Kents Garlic Extreme overnight. Now thats some serious pukeage http://www.mysmilie.de/smilies/ekelig/img/007.gif

Christy :)

Zerandise
10-08-2004, 05:28 AM
My wife would agree with emily!

found the bad of shrimp 4 days or so after i forgot it out of the freezer.. The first time was reaaaal bad.... The second was worse.......

LostMind
10-08-2004, 06:20 AM
Had to rescue a friends tank tonite. Dead sea urchin is pretty bad...

kuatto
10-08-2004, 01:58 PM
Wasn't a fish,but came home to find and smell one of my large pythons had died inside it's room size enclosure under 2 x 250wt heat lamps.Nothing worse than 85 pounds of rotting,bloated snake inside a warm humid room :eek: Took 2 hefty bags and a week of cleaning to get rid of the stench.

danny zubot
10-08-2004, 02:31 PM
I think we have a winner!

Cap'n
10-08-2004, 11:04 PM
Oh yeah, I got a shiver reading about the snake!

And since we are already off topic...
I once tried to brew beer in my first year of university. I got this big tub going and left for the extended Thanksgiving holidays. When my roomates and I returned we found that the normal odour of beer in our dorm rom was intensified beyond belief! I had the tub under my desk in my bedroom (the "brew-room" from that point on) and it had exploded at some point not long after we left judging by the height of the mold covering my floor, desk and walls. That one was not fun to clean up. My three roomates did not help a bit. We had people from all over the building following their noses to my room to see what had happened. When we left that place at the end of the year it still smelled like yeast. Now, whenever I'm around someone making bread, it reminds me of a party!

Coldwater
10-12-2004, 03:49 AM
When I went camping with my friend my dad had to take care of my tank. Bad idea. My Percula clown got somehow sucked into my filter. That wasn't that bad compared to my Royal dotyback. It had wedged itsef in a old conch shell and died. I didn't realize this for about a week until my water looked a litte brown. Man did that ever stink. I couldn't sleep in my bedroom for three days.

Matt

sumpfinfishe
10-12-2004, 04:12 AM
I would say a dead Turbo for me too :evil:
For the size ratio factor, I don't think anything stacks up to the stench :mrgreen:

Snoop Dog
10-12-2004, 04:25 AM
Flatworms

One_Divided
10-12-2004, 07:21 AM
I had a giant 12"+ bristleworm crawl in to the top of a powerhead (the little hhole in the top.. I'm surprised it even fit) Anyways, I took the powerhead out of the system for some reason or another and the worm died inside the little compartment.. By the time I found the source of the smell a week later, it was not pretty .. Far worse then a dead turbo! Absolutely horrid! I almost threw up! BAHH! It makes me cringe just thinking about it!

Zerandise
10-12-2004, 04:18 PM
well i can add a new one.....

Got the wife a new tank on friday. it has some cardnals and whatnot in it. well about half the fish didnt make the move. 9 card's, 2 tetra's and 1 flying fox. so i sat them in a bowl on the floor ( with hind sight i can see that on the heater vent was NOT the best place to set it). I then spent the next 2 days setting it up and moving another one of our tanks. well yesterday the entire downstairs was stinking prety bad.... by last night when i found the cooked little fish it was so rank that me and my kids all about lost our turkey dinner.

Seems they go prety fast when heated...

em3r1ca
10-14-2004, 05:15 AM
i had to pull about four 5" spider conches today that had been rotting for a couple days and i almost puked, and that says a lot because ive pulled my fair share of rotting inverts

JohnM99
10-15-2004, 03:21 AM
Dead Starfish. Big one.

Unbelievable. Even the neighbours asked what happened. Only 2 out of 6 in my family could get near it without gagging - they cleared the house. Great fun removing all the pieces with tweezers.