PDA

View Full Version : Fish Trap

F.H
08-05-2015, 12:39 AM
Hi everyone,

Just throwing this out there, I'll try to catch my foxface at night time when he's sleeping in the next couple days, but as a back up plan I'm wondering if anyone has a fish trap that I might be able to borrow?

My foxface has been picking on my corals, and I've lost a couple acan colonies already because of him... Would rather not risk losing anymore corals, so although he's one of my favorite fish, I guess he has to go. :sad:

I've tried hovering nori near nets/colanders, he eats nori from my hand like a pig normally, but as soon as I put something else in the water he runs off and hides.

All my rock work is glued/puttied together, so I can't tear apart the rock work to try and catch him, and even if I lower the water level, he instantly goes to hide in the rock when I'm doing a water change, so I doubt that trick will work either.

Thanks in advance, and enjoy your day.

Fahd.

gmann
08-05-2015, 04:48 AM
stop feeding and make a trap using inverted pop bottle. 2/2 with my fish

F.H
08-12-2015, 09:11 AM
Just an update, I looked into the bottle trap, and I was going to try it until I spoke to Brad from Island pets, and he told me to try a different trick which ended up working!

It took a while, but he said to just leave a net inside the aquarium, and throw some food/nori in there. Since the fox loved nori, it took him a couple days to warm up to the net, but eventually started not being scared of it and, although cautiously, went inside to grab the daily piece of nori that I stuck in there.

I finally, after 3-4 days, grabbed the net, threw nori in there, waited, and sure enough the fox swam directly inside and I scooped him up. First time I've ever handled a fish that size (about 5 inches, and FAT) I thought the net would rip lol.

But I finally caught him.

Unfortunate, but it had to be done.