PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Question

Easto
08-03-2015, 01:03 PM
I have an Apex Jr and I was told not to mount it under the stand because the salt water will corrode it.

I have seen a lot of tank pictures where people have powerbars mounted inside their stands. I this for convenience that people do this and doesn't the salt water corrode the power bar?

I was thinking about mounting a power bar on the side of my stand and running the cables to the outside of the tank. I think as long as I keep the cable neatly together this could actually look pretty decent. The bulk of the cable would be within the stand, just the power bar and the plug itside would be on the outside.

Are there any powerbars you guys/girls recommend?

e46er
08-03-2015, 05:19 PM
aquarium controllers need specific power bars. the energy 4 or 8 bar.

unless you want multiple thing to run off the same control. I would use a good powerbar with 14G wire. basically a construction rated power bar not a london drugs one.

I mounted mine in the stand and within a month I had salt creep everywhere so I pulled them out and they are now just behind the stand. i also taped the outlets Im not currently using just so no water COULD get into the plugs if it was splashed out.

WarDog
08-03-2015, 06:38 PM
I have a large A/V power bar and an EB8 mounted inside the stand, with all the Apex modules mounted outside. To date, I've had no problems with salt creep getting anywhere above the waterline of the sump. The stand is completely enclosed and utilizes a computer fan to exhaust air. The fan not only helps to reduce salt creep, but also helps with keeping pH up.

Easto
08-03-2015, 09:21 PM
I have a large A/V power bar and an EB8 mounted inside the stand, with all the Apex modules mounted outside. To date, I've had no problems with salt creep getting anywhere above the waterline of the sump. The stand is completely enclosed and utilizes a computer fan to exhaust air. The fan not only helps to reduce salt creep, but also helps with keeping pH up.

How would one wire a computer fan within a aquarium stand?

I assume this probably helps with moisture/humidity within the stand as well.

WarDog
08-03-2015, 09:53 PM
How would one wire a computer fan within a aquarium stand?

I assume this probably helps with moisture/humidity within the stand as well.

Here (http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/product-info.php?product_ID=cv-sfan03) is the cheapest solution... and yes, it helps keep humidity in check.