PDA

View Full Version : Opinions for lighting a small coral qt/grow out tank

Howie
07-24-2015, 03:00 AM
Yesterday I just put my order in at concept for a new tank. It will be a rimless polished 24x22x14 tank with a 5 inch sump section in the back for heater/pump/carbon and a compartment for extra live rock. The display section is 24x17x14. Lol I have everything picked but my lighting. I was almost 100% set on a MH setup but now I am second guessing myself wondering if T5 or Led would be a better option. The tank is going to be in the kitchen on the counters peninsula so whatever lighting I go with needs to look pretty lol. It is definitely one of the colder parts of the house in winter so extra heat is not a concern theb but in summer it may be more of an issue. What are people's opinions for my lighting options? Personal experiences with each type ect? If I went with T5 4 or 6 bulb? Oh and it will have sps, lps and some sofies in it. Thanks in advance.

gregzz4
07-24-2015, 03:53 AM
I can't say much about MH for your setup, but I'd suspect a pair of 150s would be good. I don't see a single pendant giving full coverage, but I'm sure others will disagree ...
As for T5s you stated you want some SPS. With a shallow tank as yours you could probably get away with a 6 bulb unit but I'd stay away from 4 as it's probably not going to be enough light, even with your shallower depth.

I have 8 bulbs covering my 18" front to back and have no shadows etc. My tank is 19" tall.

Howie
07-24-2015, 03:07 PM
Thanks for the input. Any brand of fixture you would recommend?

lastlight
07-24-2015, 03:11 PM
unless you find a used giesemann you're not going to get pretty when it comes to mh. the ati sunpower look ok for t5 but personally the only units i think look pretty are the sfiligoi stealth and the ati powermodule. i rarely see these for sale. the easiest way to make it pretty would be LED unless you build some sort of canopy for the mh or t5. most LED units look pretty nice!

I'm selling a Mitras that would fit the bill:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=115137

Howie
07-24-2015, 03:22 PM
Lol I am actually running mitras on my display. They are definitely nice lights and I have thought about running one on the new tank. Your cube looked great under it!! Hmmm decisions, decisions.

lastlight
07-24-2015, 03:32 PM
Lol I am actually running mitras on my display. They are definitely nice lights and I have thought about running one on the new tank. Your cube looked great under it!! Hmmm decisions, decisions.

road trip? i'll throw in a sweet high-five...

Howie
07-24-2015, 04:23 PM
road trip? i'll throw in a sweet high-five...
Lol I wonder if that high five will be enough to convince my wife!!