PDA

View Full Version : Paired dwarf angel chasing each orher?

bsung413
07-23-2015, 06:08 PM
Hi guys,

Just wondering can a pair of dwarf angelfish start chasing each other after being introduced into a new tank?

To be specific they are potters angel one being 1.5" and the other is little bigger maybe 2".

Thanks

Myka
07-23-2015, 06:13 PM
When you say "paired", what do you mean by that? How long have they been together? Dwarf Angelfish change sex just like Wrasses and Anthias do; with the dominant becoming male. If both of your fish are already male they will not get along. If they are both still females, they will have to fight it out a bit to decide who's going to be the dominant one and become male. Usually they figure it out fairly quickly, and you've done it right by picking two that are significantly different sizes. If both fish are eating well, and neither have shredded fins then they should be ok.

bsung413
07-23-2015, 06:18 PM
When you say "paired", what do you mean by that? How long have they been together?

They were sold to me as a pair in the shop and they were eating mysis so I picked it up.

After being introduced into my QT one starting chasing the other.

George
07-23-2015, 06:43 PM
It's normal for a male to chase/harass a female as long as he is not trying to kill the other. My male potters ( or my other male angel fish) does that to his mate all the time. Only you can tell if the harassment is too much. If it's too much, you will need to separate them for now. Post a video of chasing if you can if you are not sure about the situation.
Also there is a chance that the pair is not a bonding pair. Some time along the supply chain 2 random fish are just put together and called "a pair". Post a picture of your 2 fish. I can try to tell if one is male and another is female.

Myka
07-23-2015, 07:01 PM
They were sold to me as a pair in the shop and they were eating mysis so I picked it up.

After being introduced into my QT one starting chasing the other.

Hmm, yeah that's not very clear if they are a bonded pair or not or if they are just a M/F pair. How big is your QT? What do you have in your QT for hiding? Are there lots of hiding places where the line of sight can be broken? You may need to add more PVC pipes or fake coral or what have you. It's not unusual for them to chase each other, but yeah, step in if fins are getting shredded or one stops eating.

bsung413
07-24-2015, 01:07 AM
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/500/19952837415_f3c03e1147_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/wpavqc)

this is the bigger one which is still eating mysis and pellets, and graze around all day

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3696/19766157459_65a199a07a_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/w7EHYg)

this is the smaller guy which i dont think i have seen it take prepare food just graze all day but i am pretty sure he was eating at LFS.

they are in a 22 gallon tank

with 4 PVC pipe 2 on each side, and a dead rock on top of one the pipe lay againt back of the glass to create another hiding spot.

the big one will chase aggressivly when the small guy go to the other side, sometime big one will even chase it when the small guy is no where near him.

maybe i have bought a pair that the LFS just put together? if thats the case purchasing 2 indiviudally is $40 cheaper than buying a pair....

hfp75
07-24-2015, 07:08 AM
The little gals fins look fine.....

Maybe the angels aren't used to the smaller tank and need to rework their relationship .... It happens....

Give it a few more days let nature work...

bsung413
07-24-2015, 06:05 PM
Post a picture of your 2 fish. I can try to tell if one is male and another is female.

Any thoughts on the pictures?

hfp75
07-24-2015, 06:53 PM
in my 90-100 gal I have 3 cherubs (male and 2x females) and the male is larger and regularly chases the 2x females around. He is a bit grouchy.

none of my females are beat-up at all he just gets grumpy with them.

your two fish have all their fins....

bsung413
07-24-2015, 07:31 PM
in my 90-100 gal I have 3 cherubs (male and 2x females) and the male is larger and regularly chases the 2x females around. He is a bit grouchy.

none of my females are beat-up at all he just gets grumpy with them.

your two fish have all their fins....

I see, thanks

However I do worry that the female has not taken any food yet maybe due to being bully but male eats everything.

albert_dao
07-24-2015, 08:28 PM
I also wouldn't discount the fact that this fish is very poorly collected and not eating is just par for the course... And they don't form true pair bonds. That's just a marketing gimmick to describe two fish that don't harass each other.

bsung413
07-24-2015, 09:07 PM
I also wouldn't discount the fact that this fish is very poorly collected and not eating is just par for the course... And they don't form true pair bonds. That's just a marketing gimmick to describe two fish that don't harass each other.

Oh hey Albert! Been a long time~

Thanks for the input on these fish... Guess I will just have to keep my eye on them for now.

hfp75
07-24-2015, 10:00 PM
All 3 of mine eat pellets....

bsung413
07-24-2015, 10:09 PM

U have vary good luck:) hope mine is just as good as yours

albert_dao
07-25-2015, 12:09 AM

That, my friend, is what they call luck.. And good on you for having it haha :P

George
07-25-2015, 03:41 AM
Based on the pictures, I don't see any signs of a male potters in the first picture. Actually, maybe just a shadow, but I see more dark area in the second fish. Males usually are darker than females (less orange) in addition to some other patterns. They may or may not become bonded in the future. For now,I would get an egg crate and separate them in the QT.

bsung413
07-25-2015, 04:22 AM
Based on the pictures, I don't see any signs of a male potters in the first picture. Actually, maybe just a shadow, but I see more dark area in the second fish. Males usually are darker than females (less orange) in addition to some other patterns. They may or may not become bonded in the future. For now,I would get an egg crate and separate them in the QT.

I see, now I need some other suggestion.

I got this pair at a higher price compare to buying two individually (not pair) since these two doesn't seem or act like a pair do you guys think I should go back the LFS and talk to them see if I get a refound or credit something like that?

Thanks all

albert_dao
07-27-2015, 05:26 PM
I don't think most places would take that request seriously over a few forum posts :_(

But who knows, worth a call!