PDA

View Full Version : Apex control line

Doug
07-14-2015, 02:45 AM
So I cut my control line to the head unit. It looks like some kind of fibre optic line.
Is that correct? And that means no repair I assume?

Thanks

spit.fire
07-14-2015, 04:01 AM
So I cut my control line to the head unit. It looks like some kind of fibre optic line.
Is that correct? And that means no repair I assume?

Thanks

the one with the usb ends? its a standard usb cable

Doug
07-14-2015, 04:03 AM

Sorry, its the control unit. the tiny line that runs from it.

spit.fire
07-14-2015, 04:06 AM
Sorry, its the control unit. the tiny line that runs from it.

Oh that one, ya pretty hard to fix, its not fiber optic, just really small wires. I still can not figure out why they used such a small light duty wire. i believe it would be possible to solder them back together but it would be very difficult to do

Doug
07-14-2015, 04:08 AM
Yes the one wire looks like it has multi wires in it. If it was just the two, then easily fixed.

spit.fire
07-14-2015, 04:13 AM
Yes the one wire looks like it has multi wires in it. If it was just the two, then easily fixed.

theres pretty much 3 options to fix it as far as i can see,

1. email apex, you can send it in and have it repaired but you'll have to pay for shipping and i believe the repair will cost $30-40

2. ship it to me, i have a proper rework station and i can ATTEMPT to repair it for you but i cannot guarantee anything (i would replace the cable with something slightly heavier)

3. buy a new one from an apex dealer (not to sure who there is out your way)

Doug
07-14-2015, 04:25 AM
theres pretty much 3 options to fix it as far as i can see,

1. email apex, you can send it in and have it repaired but you'll have to pay for shipping and i believe the repair will cost $30-40

2. ship it to me, i have a proper rework station and i can ATTEMPT to repair it for you but i cannot guarantee anything (i would replace the cable with something slightly heavier)

3. buy a new one from an apex dealer (not to sure who there is out your way)

Thanks for the options. I will email Apex and see what they say. I may buy another also and have one for the tank and one for remote sump.

WarDog
07-14-2015, 04:49 AM

Neptune clearly states that their cables are not standard USB, and if you attempt to use standard USB cables in place of Apex cables, you can fry your head unit or modules. Is saving a few bucks worth frying several hundred dollars worth of equipment?

I still can not figure out why they used such a small light duty wire.

The wire is designed to easily fit through cabinet door/stand clearances without having to drill holes.

Wheelman76
07-14-2015, 06:00 AM
The apex "aquabus" USB cables are the same as regular USB cables as long as the cable has NO "repeaters" or "signal boosters" built into the cable. I have been using 15 ft extension cables from startech for years without issue. Same ones as these except mine are 15ft.
http://www.startech.com/ca/m/Cables/USB-2.0/USB-2.0-Cables/10ft-Fully-Rated-USB-Extension-Cable-A-A~USBEXTAA10

Btw I was told this by a guy from tech support at Neptune systems.

Wheelman76
07-14-2015, 06:03 AM
I should mention that you are correct Warren that Neptune does state not to use any other brand cable then their aquabus cable. I just figure that's so they can charge 3 times more then the cables worth lol

WarDog
07-14-2015, 06:15 AM
I should mention that you are correct Warren that Neptune does state not to use any other brand cable then their aquabus cable. I just figure that's so they can charge 3 times more then the cables worth lol

Agreed. I'm just not willing to take the risk however, lol.

Doug
07-14-2015, 06:35 PM
Its not any of my cables guys. Its the thread like wire from base unit to the controller display.

WarDog
07-14-2015, 07:04 PM
Its not any of my cables guys. Its the thread like wire from base unit to the controller display.

Understood. How far along did you cut the cable? I ask because if you can take apart the display unit to see how it's connected you may just be able to shorten the cable, no?

Doug
07-14-2015, 07:33 PM
It cut right close to controller. I did take it apart to see but never lifted circuit board when the wires go. I can barely see the wires. Not sure how I would reconnect without proper equipment. I ordered a new one from RS. Perhaps I will send mind to Apex and see if they can fix it.

Aquattro
07-14-2015, 09:41 PM
The wire is designed to easily fit through cabinet door/stand clearances without having to drill holes.

Except for the much larger plug on the end :)

Doug
07-15-2015, 12:00 AM
and I had to order another temp probe, as I tripped over mine pulling both ends out................:lol:

Ryanerickson
07-15-2015, 01:26 AM
Mine did the same thing well kinda the wire broke at the usb connection now I can't calibrate probes etc what a pain the wire is so thin what were they thinking.

spit.fire
07-15-2015, 01:34 AM
Neptune clearly states that their cables are not standard USB, and if you attempt to use standard USB cables in place of Apex cables, you can fry your head unit or modules. Is saving a few bucks worth frying several hundred dollars worth of equipment?

That's so you buy there over priced cables, all mine are from the dollar store

Doug
07-15-2015, 02:40 PM
That's so you buy there over priced cables, all mine are from the dollar store

I just ordered some over priced cables....:lol:

My friend is going to have a look at it. If he can't repair, perhaps you wish to take a shot at it. :smile:

Doug
07-15-2015, 03:31 PM
I just took it apart. Its a 4 wire system. Each of the tiny wires has two wires. Almost invisible to my old eyes. :lol: