PDA

View Full Version : Interceptor

dcw1sfu
07-10-2015, 07:51 PM
Anyone know where to get this in the lower mainland? I've contacted both my dogs vets and they don't carry it. Added a couple frags recently that arnt doing so well and was carless and in a hurry so didn't dip... dipped these yesterday and a few little red bugs in the bucket... any help appreciate would like to treat my tank ASAP.

duncangweller
07-10-2015, 08:08 PM
I believe interceptor got discontinued (although I think I read it may be coming back). I used sentinel for red bugs and it worked a treat.

A lot of vets sell sentinel

dcw1sfu
07-10-2015, 08:32 PM
Hmm called both my vets and they only carry drontal... Asumming I can only get it from a vet my dog goes to.

duncangweller
07-10-2015, 08:36 PM
Well I just bought sentinel 10mins ago from 'all about pets' clinic in Langley. Maybe next time your this side of the bridge you could drop in and grab some

dcw1sfu
07-12-2015, 09:13 AM
Any other solutions to getting rid of red bugs I called a few more vets in the area and they do not carry sentinal or if do they are requiring my dog be a patient to get this prescription

Myka
07-12-2015, 12:24 PM
Any other solutions to getting rid of red bugs I called a few more vets in the area and they do not carry sentinal or if do they are requiring my dog be a patient to get this prescription

Print out information about red bugs - try to get something that's printed in a magazine or written by someone with letters after their name. :) Tell the vet exactly what it's for. Picked a vet that does all sorts of animals like birds and reptiles.

dcw1sfu
07-19-2015, 02:53 AM
Print out information about red bugs - try to get something that's printed in a magazine or written by someone with letters after their name. :) Tell the vet exactly what it's for. Picked a vet that does all sorts of animals like birds and reptiles.

Finally found a vet that carried sentinel and did just this. He still refused to sell it to me... even offered to bring my dog in and pay the examination fee if they would not sell it to me for my fish tank... they said no. I'm getting frustrated my RR wolverine is toast and my RR banana split and strawberry shortcake are looking pretty bad.

Why on earth is a fish product not made that has the active ingredient in it to take care of red bugs.

duncangweller
07-19-2015, 06:31 AM
I have two tabs but they only have 5.75mg of the active ingredient needed so depending on the size of your tank you may need a handful of them

reeferfulton
07-19-2015, 06:40 AM
use milbemax for large cats. same thing. maybe a vet that has that will help u

dcw1sfu
07-19-2015, 10:14 AM
I have two tabs but they only have 5.75mg of the active ingredient needed so depending on the size of your tank you may need a handful of them

So they have 5.75mg of milbemicyn oxide per tab? If that's the case that would work out perfect as I need 3.6 mg of milbemicyn oxide per dosage for my 60 gallon (times 3 dosages).

duncangweller
07-19-2015, 04:37 PM
Yeah 5.75 of MO per tab. I have two of them. They cost me $15 each so give me $30 and you can have them. I'll just tell the vet I can't find them and buy some more.

duncangweller
07-19-2015, 04:38 PM
I have the sentinel for a 12lb dog so double check the details on the sentinel website

KPG007
07-19-2015, 06:07 PM
Have you tried Flatworm Exit? That should work, and you can buy it at J&L. For specific pieces, use a dip.

dcw1sfu
07-19-2015, 09:28 PM
Hey guys finally found a vet that sold me a box of sentinel. Just had to show them a pic of my tank and that was enough. Appreciate all of your help. I'll be administering my first dose tonight.

duncangweller
07-20-2015, 01:18 PM
Don't forget to remove all your snails, shrimps and crabs

dcw1sfu
07-20-2015, 07:23 PM
Did my first dose approx 12 hours ago and now about to do a 25% water change and then put fresh carbon and gfo back online as well as my skimmer.

I dosed about 3.8mg for roughly 60 gallons of water.

Some hermits that I missed have perished but my fire shrimp and pistol shrimp which I could not catch are fine.

My only concern is that it did not kill many of the pods in my tank. Still saw many pods scurrying all over my frags on my frag rack last night. If it didn't wipe out my pods my worry is it also did not take care of the red bugs.

Maybe I will dose the entire 5.75mg tab next dose.

Bblinks
07-20-2015, 08:08 PM
Really don't know much about sentinel but with interceptor, Larger shrimps usually can get through the dose without any issues and I have dosed 2 to 3 times in a months and it does clear all the red bugs. Dose a bit heavier on the next round.

Bblinks
07-20-2015, 08:09 PM
BTW, you should be able to see a dramatic reduction on the amount of red bugs thats present on your sps. If you still see them then something is not right.

dcw1sfu
07-20-2015, 09:42 PM
To be honest I couldn't really spot them on the sps as it was. Was just losing frags and decided to dip one that looked really bad. That's when I noticed red bugs at the bottom of the dip container.

I think I'm going to order a bottle of bayer for all my dips now I hear it's quite gentle on the acros and does a really good job at eliminating pests. I've been using revive and find it harsh on the corals.

Wheelman76
07-21-2015, 12:45 AM
Did you turn the skimmer right off ? Or just disconnect the air line ?

Wheelman76
07-21-2015, 12:47 AM
You want the medication to go everywhere so from everything I've read on the subject ,you're supposed to leave gfo running and leave the skimmer running but disconnect the air line so that it doesn't skim out the medication.

dcw1sfu
07-21-2015, 12:53 AM
Just disconnected the airline and removed the standpipe. Also left the gfo/carbon reactors online just with no media in them.

reeferfulton
07-21-2015, 05:12 AM
I agree with bblinks,
Dont rush the treatment, I have done the procedure twice in 2.5 years. Last time which was 1 year ago, I double dosed for 5 consecutive treatments 1 week apart and didnt do anything other then bi-weekly water changes..

no red bugs in my tank a year later :biggrin:

dcw1sfu
07-21-2015, 08:04 PM
I think some of the frags are looking better already. So two more doses over the next couple weeks should get things right bavk on track.

dcw1sfu
07-28-2015, 08:40 AM
Did my second dose and doubled what I did last round. No sign of any red bugs or pods and all remaining hermits are dead along withy fire shrimp I couldn't catch. My pistol shrimp however survived.

Do you think it's really necessary to do a third dose of this stuff??

reeferfulton
07-28-2015, 01:54 PM
yup,
best to be sure or it was all for nothing

GoFish
03-13-2016, 04:36 AM
Was just going through some pictures on the computer and came across a couple older pics of an Acan that was dying. Around this time i had lost about 1/2 of what i had which was about 8 different colours/colonies.
Tried Interceptor as per a friends suggestion and heres the progression.

First pic was before the first treatment, second pic was after treatment, and last pic is the same piece today

Thanks Sentinel, and Jess for the suggestion :)

http://i.imgur.com/KH5xt22.jpg