PDA

View Full Version : How to deal with a hurt bubble tip?

bleevin
07-10-2015, 06:49 PM
This is a 2 part question.

I've got a 20g Long tank with an ecotec radion xr30 1st gen led light.

Question 1
My rose bubble tip stays put in one spot when the lights are on but travels around the whole tank when the light is out. Why does it do this and is there any thing I can try to make it stay put?

Question 2
A couple nights ago my bubble tip tried to commit suicide via power head. I managed to slowly pull most of the body out but had to cut a section of it's tentacles off. The mouth and foot looks intact and there is still color. Whats the best way give the bubble tip a fighting chance to heal?

I've got him in one of those Petsmart plastic cups they sell bettas in but he's looking pretty cramped. Also I have it clamped near the surface of the water so that there's water movement but maybe too much direct light. Is there any chance of the bubble tip getting too much light?

bsung413
07-11-2015, 12:14 AM
To question 1, anemone always walks around until they find a spot they like.

What percentage do you run ur lights? And how high is it above your tank? Maybe lights too strong, since 20 long is only 12" deep plus sand maybe 10"?

Anemones likes to have their feet protected, try to find a rock with holes where it may be able to have its feet in there or place it between multiple rocks.

To question 2, does the anemone still attach it self ( damage on feet or mouth?)

If only the tenecles are damage the anemone will likely recover given proper care ( still feed it, maybe it will like to be in a less light intensive area) when bubble tip splits the will move to an area where the lights are not as strong to recover.

Hope that helps

Good luck!

bleevin
07-11-2015, 12:25 AM
To question 1, anemone always walks around until they find a spot they like.

What percentage do you run ur lights? And how high is it above your tank? Maybe lights too strong, since 20 long is only 12" deep plus sand maybe 10"?

Anemones likes to have their feet protected, try to find a rock with holes where it may be able to have its feet in there or place it between multiple rocks.

I have it on Radiate (I think thats the name) mode set at 55%. Everything else is happy with that setting and the Bubble tip seems to come back to the same spot during lights on.

To question 2, does the anemone still attach it self ( damage on feet or mouth?)

If only the tenecles are damage the anemone will likely recover given proper care ( still feed it, maybe it will like to be in a less light intensive area) when bubble tip splits the will move to an area where the lights are not as strong to recover.

Yes the anemone still attaches but doesn't seem as strong.

I'll try to move him to a less light intensive area...

Thanks for the suggestions.

ahhui
07-11-2015, 04:40 AM
The only thing I will suggest is NOT move it manually. Just let it move around by itself and should find its favor spot. Good luck.

Alan,

mike31154
07-11-2015, 05:36 AM
Yes, what everyone else has said already. Even once a bta finds a place to land, there is never a total guarantee that it won't decide to wander again in the future, even years later. BTAs are generally tough little critters, I've experienced some fairly significant damage to ones in my tank & they pulled through. Losing a few tentacles is usually no problem. Provided your lighting is reasonable (sounds as if it is) & the water quality is good, you're good.

You haven't mentioned if you have a clownfish making the BTA it's home. If not, get one, they seem to do better when paired up as in nature.

bleevin
07-11-2015, 05:47 AM
You haven't mentioned if you have a clownfish making the BTA it's home. If not, get one, they seem to do better when paired up as in nature.

No no clown fish at the moment. Actually no fish at the moment. But plan on getting 2.