PDA

View Full Version : RO/DI Unit for the apartment...

IJC
10-04-2004, 05:09 AM
I live in an apartment and can't dedicate a tap to an RO unit. My only water sources are the kitchen and bathroom sinks.

Does anyone have a setup they hook-up very temporarily? or do you need a dedicated source to allow it to run for a while at a time?

Any apartment-friendly suggestions would be great...

pocilipora
10-04-2004, 05:24 AM
Are you able to tap into the cold water line under your kichen sink?

Aquattro
10-04-2004, 05:35 AM
I just use a tap adapter and hook mine up to the sink when I need it.

Veng68
10-04-2004, 05:37 AM
Do a search of any company that sells ro units........ they should have a faucet adapter.

Cheers,
Vic [Veng68]

IJC
10-04-2004, 05:43 AM
Thanks guys. I was under the impression that the time it takes to filter a decent amount of water would make using a faucet too impractical. I guess if you do it that way you need a unit with pretty good capacity.

Thanks again,,,,, I guess I'll start doing some serious research on these things - I had kind of counted them out prematurely.

IJC
10-04-2004, 05:52 AM
Pocilipora - I'd be pretty hesitant to try something like that (I'm certainly no plumber) - though poking around in there it looks like it would probably work.

I guess I could just turn off the cold tap under the counter, unhook the copper pipe that goes to the faucet, put in a piece that provides two outlets and work from that. Like I said though, I'm no plumber, so I'll have to look into this one a little more...

IJC
10-06-2004, 04:04 AM
I've been looking into a 100gpd RO/DI unit from aquasafe. I emailed them direct, and was quoted $263.27 after tax for the following:

The 2004A model (comes compete with one set of filters etc)
20 RO filters (five times the four types)
4 Deionizer filters
and a TDS meter

Looking through past threads, I see talk of entire set-ups for under $200. There isn't a comparable package up on ebay right now, but adding all that stuff, plus the shipping, ends up being a little more.

Anybody got any thoughts on that price? or bought a similar package?

muck
10-06-2004, 04:26 AM
Can you not pick it up, as they are located in West Vancouver...

IJC
10-06-2004, 04:44 AM
If you buy on Ebay, you have to pay shipping - they won't let you pick it up.
If you order direct, they'll ship for free in Vancouver - I wouldn't have to pay shipping on top of that price he quoted.

muck
10-06-2004, 05:21 AM
If you added the price for all the items listed on ebay.
It is more expensive anyways than getting it direct. It came to about $189 USD.
So approx $240 CDN + $25 shipping + Tax.
Your looking close to $300 if you bought of ebay. :confused:

I know quite a few members here have bought from them.
Hopefully someone will chime in with approx what they paid...

IJC
10-06-2004, 05:25 AM
Thanks Muck.

Yah... I'm interested in what others have paid.... I don't mind paying for a good product, but hate hearing I could've got it for less.

gbeef
10-06-2004, 04:03 PM
i got an aqua safe from ebay works awsome, i only payed like 67US 6 stage. Also got a box of filters for 50US. +25.00shipping.
the whole thing came out to 188.00 canadian