PDA

View Full Version : Fish jumped in overflow

originalozzyo
06-29-2015, 02:35 AM
My anthias jumped into my overflow sometime last night, he's hanging out at the bottom now. Any ideas for getting it out without dismantling the pipes?

Bblinks
06-29-2015, 03:03 AM
Get in there with a net and fish it out, it's gonna get stressed out in there and likely vanish.

duncangweller
06-29-2015, 03:40 AM
You can even siphon some of the water out to make your life easier if you can't just drain it by removing one of the pipes

mark
06-29-2015, 03:42 AM
I've drained down the overflow and netted and have also just pulled the standpipe then grab out of the filter sock in the sump

hunggi74
06-29-2015, 04:58 AM
If it's a Durso, pull out the standpipe, have a filter sock or net at the other end of the drain and it will go down there in no time. Had my wrasse do the same and got it out that way.

Aquattro
06-29-2015, 05:44 AM
Worst case, I had a cleaner wrasse in my overflow for 4 months :) Ended up pulling pipe and retrieving from sump.

reefwars
06-29-2015, 12:07 PM
I have a neon goby in one overflow since last September and in another overflow I have a rock boring urchin he's been in there for close to 3 yrs lol ......I have no advice to give :p

originalozzyo
06-29-2015, 04:12 PM
Well, I made an attempt to get him out but totally failed. Trying to unscrew the bulkhead after I drained the overflow did not go so well. Sand got jammed in the threads and it took me half an hour of swearing and sweating my ass off to get if out. All the while I could see the fish lying there with no water. He didn't make it but at least I found my missing tiger pistol shrimp. He's back in now and there's new piles of sand everywhere lol. Need to put some kind of screen to raise the overflows

monocus
06-30-2015, 04:00 AM
i usually put some egg crate over the overflow