PDA

View Full Version : plumbing parts in calgary?

Skimmer Juice
06-28-2015, 06:43 PM
where is the best place to get aquarium plumbing parts ?
I have already been to concepts got most of what I need byt still looking for some other parts . Have also been to rona . Is there such thing as a hose barb (plastic) to 1inch slip?

I have a 1 inch bulkhead on my return the bulkhead is thread/thread and the guy I bought the tank from had silicone the bulkhead so I dont want to change it . I'm trying to add a ball valve to the pump so I can shut it to feed . Right now it has a check valve that never works . So as it sits it has soft hose with hose clamps then a hose barb to a reducer to fit the mag 18 pump .

Tried to use a threaded to slip fitting but it leaked at the bulkhead , could not get it to stop , this piece

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll28/commancel/0068440_L_zps0nxszvp9.jpg (http://s284.photobucket.com/user/commancel/media/0068440_L_zps0nxszvp9.jpg.html)

if /i could find this part to fit 1inch pipe it would be nice , or if anybody has any better recommendation

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll28/commancel/pvc-fitting-460-barb-adapter-spigxbarb_zpsih7jxmey.jpg (http://s284.photobucket.com/user/commancel/media/pvc-fitting-460-barb-adapter-spigxbarb_zpsih7jxmey.jpg.html)

TimT
06-28-2015, 07:04 PM
I suspect that when you tightened the male adapter into the bulkhead you may have broken the silicone seal between the bulkhead and the tank. Another possibility is the bulkhead was cracked and when you tightened in the male adapter you opened the crack. If the rubber seal on the bulkhead is OK you should not need to silicone the bulkhead to the tank. Bulkheads do tend to loosen over time as the rubber compresses so they need to be re tightened occasionally. Probably once a year to be safe and do NOT over tighten as you can crack the bulkhead nut.

A better recommendation would be to get a 1" mip/barb fitting. If you can't find them locally I can get you one. I may have one in my parts bucket but it would be more in shipping than the part is worth. I also have 1" bulkheads in case the bulkhead is cracked.

Myka
06-28-2015, 07:14 PM
If that was my tank I would be replacing the bulkhead with a new one with no silicone. I don't find siliconed bulkheads to be reliable long-term.

The white fitting in the photo is difficult to find - I've only ever seen it online. J&L had a version of it some time ago, but I don't remember the sizes they had. You could check there.

The threaded piece in the photo is a perfectly fine piece to use though I've found that particular piece requires a ton of teflon tape to get a good seal. Use the thick white tape if you can find it.

intarsiabox
06-28-2015, 07:20 PM
Maybe Corix or Home Hardware? And I agree that you should replace a siliconed bulkhead, should not need silicone to seal.

TimT
06-28-2015, 07:23 PM
If people want the white sch40 pvc slip/barb fittings like the one pictured I can get them from 1/2" all the way to 2".

FishyFishy!
06-28-2015, 07:30 PM
You can try western pump on 42nd right off 114th. They have lots of oddball fittings.

But I would honestly take the old stuff out and change it all.

Skimmer Juice
06-28-2015, 08:16 PM
sorry the bulkhead itself is not leaking , the fitting was leaking where I screwed it into the the bottom of the bulkhead . I removed the adapter put the old hose barb back in and it did not leak. So Im not sure if the 2 fittings are different thread pitch but the hose barb fitting did not leak and the fitting in the first pic leaked .

I tried removing the bulkhead but I could not get it out hence why I was going to leave it. So I just need the best way to connect a ball valve mixed with soft hose . Would have preferred to re-do the whole line and bulkhead , just had a really annoying time trying to pull the bulkhead out .

lastlight
06-28-2015, 10:32 PM
That fitting is all I've ever used. Just wrap it generously with tape as suggested.

Robw
06-30-2015, 01:49 AM
I know the Rona in the NE has/had a good selection of barb adapters. The Rona on Macloud used to, don't know if they still do.