PDA

View Full Version : Quick plumbing question

Easto
06-28-2015, 01:45 PM
I have an Eheim 1262 return pump that I am going to run 1" PVC back to the tank.

This is my first plumbing job, so I am somewhat confused.

What piece do I attach directly to the Eheim (size and name of PVC piece) to get it to 1" PVC?

duncangweller
06-28-2015, 01:46 PM
It's just a threaded to slip adapter. The threaded end screws onto the pump, the slip end glues into pvc/flexible pipe. Costs about 50c at home depot

Myka
06-28-2015, 01:54 PM
It's called a 1" adapter in SCH40 PVC. Use some white teflon tape on the threaded end - I prefer the thicker stuff, but it's not as easy to find as the thin stuff. If you have a choice, go with the thick stuff, but only use white. For glue I like the clear "heavy duty", the heavy duty stuff is thick so it doesn't drip everywhere. FWIW, I never use pipe primer, I use a piece of 180 or 220 grit sandpaper to grab the end of the pipe and give it several twists to scar it up and smooth the rough cut end. If you use the primer and try to dry fit it, you won't get the pipe back out (it will partially bond), but it won't seal good enough and you'll have to cut it and start again.

Easto
06-28-2015, 02:05 PM
So the output on the Eheim is already at 1" ?

I don't need an adapter to take it from some other side up or down to 1"?

If so, that should make things easy

duncangweller
06-28-2015, 02:11 PM
I want to say its 3/4" output (yep....just checked in marine depot spec sheet).

Nate
06-28-2015, 02:22 PM
This is my go to pump for my aquarium maintenance company. I usually plumb using their 3/4 adapter that comes with the pump, then do a small section of vinyl tubing which will help with any vibrations from then I use a slip slip (female:female) union with a threaded insert for poly threaded insert.

Hope this helps... It's overkill for vibrations because those pumps are superb but it never hurts to be over prepared .

Myka
06-28-2015, 02:52 PM
So the output on the Eheim is already at 1" ?

I don't need an adapter to take it from some other side up or down to 1"?

If so, that should make things easy

I want to say its 3/4" output (yep....just checked in marine depot spec sheet).

Sorry, I thought it was 1" already. Been awhile since I've used an Eheim. You'll need a 3/4" adapter, and run 3/4" pipe from the pump to the tank. Generally, you should use the same size pipe as the output of the pump. The manufacturer chose that size for a reason. If the tank's bulkhead is a 1" then you'll need a 1" x 3/4" slip reducer bushing to slip into the bulkhead.