PDA

View Full Version : Low iron glass vs starfire???

maron6977
06-25-2015, 04:45 AM
Hi , look'in to upgrade from my 4' 120g. After many options: new , used , what size - 6' 180g , 220g !!! Think I'm gonna pull the trigger on a Concept custom tank .
I figured I'd get exactly what I'm after - 215g 72"x30"x24"H .
Now back to the question .
I would like input : apparently they have Chinese low iron glass & Starfire glass .
I've heard the Starfire scratches somewhat easier. Good results from the low iron glass & not much more than reg glass.
Please set me straight if I'm mistaken & anyone have any experience with either, please let me know .
Thanks Mark

sphelps
06-25-2015, 05:06 AM
Starphire, according to Dave it's slightly thicker than standard to compensate for the reduced strength while the Chinese is not so you do get a little more for the extra money :lol:
In the end both are glass and perfectly fine choices but for the little extra cost I'd get the real deal. Both will stratch easier than standard.

rynoe
06-25-2015, 07:06 PM
Starphire glass is just one company's trademark name for their brand of low iron glass. I am not sure if certain brands of low iron glass scratch easier then others but i would think it would be possible.

maron6977
06-25-2015, 07:30 PM
Thanks for info .
Any difference in clarity ?

Skimmer Juice
06-25-2015, 08:01 PM
I find the light comes through the glass better with starfire , looks overall clearer . I always go starfire especially if you are doing clear silicone . As for the scratching easier I don't notice my glass stays clear but I also do not use magnet cleaners