PDA

View Full Version : Foz Down vs: GFO

The Guy
06-15-2015, 06:37 PM
Anyone using Foz-down rather than GFO?
Comments------:smile:

Reeferluke
06-15-2015, 06:53 PM
I have been using it for about 6 months. I dose it in my top up it works fantastic. I doubt I will ever go back to gfo

lastlight
06-15-2015, 06:59 PM
if you're considering switching for the savings, you might be interested in this:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1838961&highlight=gfo+on+the+cheap

i've been using recharged gfo for a few months now and it's working great. just need to use and store the lye safely.

Aquattro
06-15-2015, 07:04 PM
I use fozdown, no interest in using GFO, so can't compare.

theokie
06-15-2015, 07:08 PM
I use a combo, I use a doser to dose small amounts of fozdown every two hours and I also use GFO to help keep my levels down as well... using the combo has given me nice results.

whatcaneyedo
06-16-2015, 03:52 AM
I have been doing well on under $80 a year for GFO in what is now a 300gal system (formerly 240gal). For those that use Foz down, what is your cost relative to system size?

Aquattro
06-16-2015, 03:55 AM
I'm not even sure what I pay for it, and only add adhoc right now. I have a doser to set up, and will dose daily, but I'd guess more than 80/yr. For me, I just don't want more gear in the sump, and the doser will handle other stuff as well.

George
06-16-2015, 05:09 AM
what's in foz down (as in what's its active ingredient)?

Wheelman76
06-16-2015, 05:13 AM
what's in foz down (as in what's its active ingredient)?

Lanthanum Chloride

George
06-16-2015, 05:57 AM
Lanthanum Chloride

thanks! that's what I thought.
I have been following LaCl in other sites for some time now. The only thing that prevents me from using it to control Phosphate is some people report of their fish (especially tangs) being irritated by LaCl or the precipitation. Does any one notice this issue?

Aquattro
06-16-2015, 06:00 AM
I have a yellow tang that seems fine. I would expect my Moorish Idols to be more sensitive, but nothing from them either

TimT
06-16-2015, 02:53 PM
I have been doing well on under $80 a year for GFO in what is now a 300gal system (formerly 240gal). For those that use Foz down, what is your cost relative to system size?

I recently did a dosage calculation for a person with a 90 gallon tank, a large sump and a moderate fish load. It worked out to 44.95/year. So almost half when you figure no pump to pay for running or work in the sump.

The only thing that prevents me from using it to control Phosphate is some people report of their fish (especially tangs) being irritated by LaCl or the precipitation. Does any one notice this issue?

Since the person having the problem mentioned clouding of the water that leads me to believe they dosed(overdosed) very heavily thus creating cloudiness. The cloudiness could be enough to bother the fishes gills? The tangs could have reacted to the sudden change in Phosphate level(unlikely) or the buffer could have been affected if it was a serious overdose. This could effect pH of the tank.

Just like any chemical there are various grades on the market. If this person used a pool based product it may have been a lower grade and also have had other additives. Or it could have been something completely unrelated. My personal opinion is that there are so many factors affecting fish and aquariums that it is impossible to point a finger unless there is significant testing done.

I recently observed a Bicolour Goatfish that had been in the tank for 4 months, suddenly fade colour and turn greyish. I thought it was going to die on the spot. My maintenance customer noticed it as well. We continued on with the meeting and I was planning to pull the "dead" fish out afterwards. 20 minutes later and the fish was swimming around normally and had normal colour. Fish do weird things. LoL

When dosing Foz Down I always recommend dosing it as diluted and spread out throughout the day as possible. In the ATO reservoir is a great spot or with a dosing pump. It is best to dilute the concentrated Foz Down with some ro/di water. When dosed this way I have not observed any problems or clouding of the water. I have multiple different species of Tangs in my own system and use Foz Down on it.

Foz Down is capable of removing Phosphate down to 0.00015mg/l. This is well below the recommended level for reef tanks. If you have the Foz Down on an ATO or dosing pump with 24 doses+ a day then any Phosphate build up between daily(once or twice) doses would easily be neutralized. That is the only reason I could see for running GFO. It removes phosphate as it is produced.

if you're considering switching for the savings, you might be interested in this:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...o+on+the+cheap

i've been using recharged gfo for a few months now and it's working great. just need to use and store the lye safely.

Lye is dangerous especially if you add water to it instead of it to water. I had looked into this before I started using Foz Down as I was going through 7 lbs of the BRS HC GFO every 2-3 months. I hated using GFO because when the pump stops for whatever reason you get a hard block of "rock" to chisel out of the reactor. LOL

Another aspect of GFO is that it is Iron based. Iron is something that macro algae need to grow.

I will be away from CanReef till Thursday. I will respond to any further posts or PM's when I return.

Cheers,
Tim

ps I am the maker and a user of Foz Down. ;)

lastlight
06-16-2015, 03:12 PM
Lye is dangerous especially if you add water to it instead of it to water.

Yes I am very cautious when mixing a new solution. shoulder length gloves, eye protection and gently stir it up outside. I still may choose a different approach in the future because i seriously suspect the iron in GFO fuels algae even tho measurable phosphate levels are low.

dcw1sfu
06-18-2015, 06:58 PM
I keep switching back an forth but i think I'm going to stick with Foz down. As I dose vinegar it keeps my phosphates under control and every time I add even the smallest amount of GFO it completely wipes out all phosphate in my tank (0 on a hanna) and I notice pale corals. I like that with a small amount of Fozdown I can control how much I want to lower my phosphates by.

Doug
06-18-2015, 09:49 PM
Im planning on only using it on my new 90g. I guess its ok to use with Prodibio as I use go with it now?

dcw1sfu
06-18-2015, 10:54 PM
I also only dose Fozdown directly into my filter sock to try and avoid any deposits making it into the tank. Don't know if it makes a difference or not though.

mark
06-19-2015, 12:29 AM
I also only dose Fozdown directly into my filter sock to try and avoid any deposits making it into the tank. Don't know if it makes a difference or not though.

From reading, depends on the sock, seems 100 microns to coarse to be effective.

TimT
06-19-2015, 01:38 AM
Im planning on only using it on my new 90g. I guess its ok to use with Prodibio as I use go with it now?

Prodibio and Foz Down are compatible.

I have 5 and 10 micron filter socks with a 4" plastic ring available.

dcw1sfu
06-19-2015, 01:43 AM

So you need a finer than 100 micron sock? God that would clog so fast on my return.

TimT
06-19-2015, 02:09 AM
If your concerned about removing the flocs yes. I am not concerned about it and let them settle out in the sump. I vacuum the sump so any would get removed then.

maron6977
06-19-2015, 04:27 PM
Started trying fozdown approx. 6 weeks ago . Always have had problems keeping phosphate under control . Extremely happy with results & cost , compared to GFO/Rowa. Definitely worth a try !!!!
Mark

The Guy
06-19-2015, 05:19 PM
Started trying fozdown approx. 6 weeks ago . Always have had problems keeping phosphate under control . Extremely happy with results & cost , compared to GFO/Rowa. Definitely worth a try !!!!
Mark
Hey Mark, how are you getting it into your tank, sump, ato or ?
I've been using it for a couple of weeks now in the ato water method, seems to be working and controlling PO4, I like the no muss no fuss and probably won't go back to GFO.

bleevin
06-19-2015, 06:05 PM
The only place to get it locally is at King Eds?

TimT
06-19-2015, 06:23 PM
Yes,

King Eds or Monocus on CanReef.

I do sell it locally as well for people who are closer to me in the Valley.

Aquattro
06-19-2015, 06:27 PM
Tim, for such a great product, why isn't more effort put into distribution? J&L, Reef Supplies, etc?

monocus
06-19-2015, 06:35 PM
j&l have their own 2 brands for phosphate control-brightwell and precision marine

maron6977
06-19-2015, 08:12 PM
Hey Mark, how are you getting it into your tank, sump, ato or ?
I've been using it for a couple of weeks now in the ato water method, seems to be working and controlling PO4, I like the no muss no fuss and probably won't go back to GFO.

I'm using thru ato but because of weather the evaporation will vary, so bought another Doser to add that way. Haven't switched over yet but looking to dilute it then dose.
Any recommendations would help , thanks .
Mark

dcw1sfu
06-19-2015, 08:17 PM
If your dosing through your ATO how do you ensure its even mixed throughout your entire top off supply? Do you keep a powerhead in you ATO?

Also how much are you guys dosing in your ATO water? I have roughly a 10 gallon top off supply that gets used up once per week. I really only need approx 3 drops a day to keep phosphate at .03 or lower.

maron6977
06-19-2015, 09:11 PM
I go thru approx 7g of ato a week . I have a 15g reservoir. I add 8ml of fozdown per 5g . No power head to keep mixing , just when initially adding to reservoir. Seems to stay stable over the 2 weeks it will last. But evaporation does vary , so am going to dose into sump.

TimT
06-19-2015, 09:20 PM
Tim, for such a great product, why isn't more effort put into distribution? J&L, Reef Supplies, etc?

Nick used to carry it.

With King Ed's and Monocus carrying it that serves the Burnaby/Coquitlam area.

In Calgary, Wai's and Eli carry it.
In Kamloops, Matt from Kamloops Korals carries it.
In Kelowna, Purple Seahorse carries it.
In Regina, Pat's Pets carries it.
In Vernon, AJ's carries it.
In Winnipeg, J.W Bird Shop carries it.

Cheers,
Tim

maron6977
06-19-2015, 09:25 PM
I go thru approx 7g of ato a week . I have a 15g reservoir. I add 8ml of fozdown per 5g . No power head to keep mixing , just when initially adding to reservoir. Seems to stay stable over the 2 weeks it will last. But evaporation does vary , so am going to dose into sump.

Oh Ya . I have approx 140g of water in my system.

Aquattro
06-19-2015, 09:25 PM
Nick used to carry it.

With King Ed's and Monocus carrying it that serves the Burnaby/Coquitlam area.

I was thinking about more of the Canadian area :) Go big!!