PDA

View Full Version : Anemone hosting

JTrigger
10-02-2004, 02:39 AM
Perhaps a stupid Q, but

Has anyone had any other type of fish host an anemone?

JT

Aquattro
10-02-2004, 02:41 AM
Damsels occasionally host in them.

Bob I
10-02-2004, 02:42 AM
I have heard of Cardinals having a liking for Anemones. That may be apocryphal though (man I like to find uses for words) :biggrin:

JTrigger
10-02-2004, 02:49 AM
Brad,

What kind of damsels?
Cardinals.. hrmmm.. fact or fiction :biggrin:

JT

AJ_77
10-02-2004, 02:56 AM
Domino damsels (Dascyllus) I think - looks pretty cool, a group of them among a large nem.

There's better pictures, but this gives an idea:

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/DamselPIX/Dascyllus/Dascyllus_trimaculatusMABgrp.jpg

Here's a better one:

http://digilander.libero.it/scubabob2/Rosso3/images/dascyllus01.JPG

I've also read of the cardinal thing...

Quinn
10-02-2004, 03:15 AM
I thought someone posted the other day about some odd fish attempting to host in their anemone. Jonathan? Also I think Steve (Bukaneer) had a cardinal that hosted in an anemone. They also host in long-spined urchins which I think is pretty neat.

Man I want a tank...

Delphinus
10-02-2004, 05:41 AM
My cardinal hosted in a BTA for about a year. She eventually lost interest though. Now she hangs around a M. cap ...

Canadian Man
10-02-2004, 05:44 AM
I was going to mention Tony's cardinal but he beat me to it.

My Chevron Tang Swim's in my Green star polyps.. It looks alot like He is trying to host in them. I think it's just dumb luck.

I think my 6 line Tried to host in my green carpter anenome. I no longer have my plump, fat 6 line Wrasse. :evil:

Quinn
10-02-2004, 05:50 AM
Man, have you ever thought about not having that anemone? :razz:

Delphinus
10-02-2004, 05:52 AM
Aw, man, :cry: I'm sorry to hear that. :frown:

Canadian Man
10-02-2004, 06:01 AM
Well it's such a gorgeous creature that I take the attitude of "if the fish are dumb enough to swim into it than there's not much I can do"

At least my tangs are smart enough to stay away.

Don't be sorry Tony. The circle of life continues. :smile:

JTrigger
10-02-2004, 06:11 AM
What are some reasons that people like cardinals? Just curious... they have a pretty peculiar personality which is interesting with how stoic they are :biggrin:

Cap'n
10-02-2004, 07:30 AM
Sorry to hear about your 6-line Jon, that was a real beauty. But I agree with you, the anenome is spectacular.

I had a bangai cardinal that came with the tank when I bought it. I got bored and traded it in. It picked one spot in the upper corner of the tank and hovered there. All the time. The only time it moved was at feeding and then it was a monster! If I was to keep them again, which I have considered, I would get a pair. I think they would do better in groups and apparantly they spawn easily in captivity.

EmilyB
10-02-2004, 08:06 AM
Well it's such a gorgeous creature that I take the attitude of "if the fish are dumb enough to swim into it than there's not much I can do"

:cry:

Cardinal babies love the LTA or a fake urchin.