PDA

View Full Version : Sand Question

linz8392
06-11-2015, 12:26 AM
In January 2004 i started in the hobby with a 20 gallon. Then a few years later upgraded to a 46 gallon, then eventually to a 75 gallon reef tank.

I have continued to use the original sand and transferred it to each tank as i went, always adding more.

My DSB is currently around 3.5 - 4" deep.

My sand looks dirty all the way through, judging from what i can see through the front glass. I dont have a conch, or nassarius snails, but plan on getting some.

My question is this....do i take 95% of the sand out and add all new sand? Or do i just by the sand cleaning crew and let them do their work?

I think the sand is no longer filtering but instead releasing toxins into the water column.

SO....to replace pretty much all the sand, take the top inch off, and replace the rest with new sand, or replace NO sand, and just buy the critters and let nature take its course or replace some sand and buy the critters?

thanks in advance

lemon604
06-11-2015, 12:37 AM
I wash mine using water from the aquarium. I normally do this during water change. You'll be surprised how dirty the sand is. The water I use to wash the sand looks like sewer water after.

Aquattro
06-11-2015, 12:38 AM
I would remove old sand, 1/3rd at a time, a few weeks apart. Siphon out with water change, replace with new sand. Do left, right, then center, or some version of that.

linz8392
06-11-2015, 12:43 AM
ok...and then just add the new sand and also buy the sand cleaning critters to maintain it? should i leave an inch of the old sand at the bottom?

Aquattro
06-11-2015, 12:49 AM
I wouldn't leave any 11yo sand in the tank, IMO :) Critters are good, somewhat over rated for sand cleaning, but cool to have. Stirring the sand before a water change might be more benefit.

Aquattro
06-11-2015, 12:52 AM
To add, at this point don't disturb the sand or bad things can happen. Just remove via siphon hose.

linz8392
06-11-2015, 01:30 AM
ok..thanks so much for the suggestions! :D

Myka
06-11-2015, 02:51 AM
I agree with Brad (Aquattro). I'd remove it 1/3 at a time too. Remove the full depth - don't leave the bottom portion. The bottom portion will likely be anaerobic and exposig it would cause it to suddenly go aerobic killing off the bacteria and causing a cycle (ammonia spike).

Personally, I keep a 1/2 - 1" sand bed and I gravel vacuum it on every water change. I do this with client tanks too.

Aquattro
06-11-2015, 02:56 AM
What I do to vacuum the sand is run the end of the hose into a filter sock in the sump, then vacuum away until I'm bored. No water removal and gets all the gunk out. Remove sock :)

Duckhams
06-11-2015, 06:35 PM
I agree with Brad (Aquattro). I'd remove it 1/3 at a time too. Remove the full depth - don't leave the bottom portion. The bottom portion will likely be anaerobic and exposig it would cause it to suddenly go aerobic killing off the bacteria and causing a cycle (ammonia spike).

Personally, I keep a 1/2 - 1" sand bed and I gravel vacuum it on every water change. I do this with client tanks too.

Agreed. When you add the new sand, use a 2 litre soda/juice bottle, fill it 5/6 of the way with sand and let it fill with tank water, then tip it up and let the sand filter out in the tank. As the sand flows out, any loose debris or sediment is filtered out and is left in the bottle. It helps keep the tank clean and allows you to direct where the sand goes. Just a thought.